HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 prospects

Old
01-25-2007, 02:39 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
He has been excellent for 25 AHL games (not even one half of a season)... Then he got into a little slump. (I know he was also good in other leagues before, but how much can we trust ECHL stats ?) How can you be so sure he's got Vokoun potential who played 78 AHL games, had a better size (6.00 and 200 lbs vs 5.11 175 lbs) and a better technique. Don't let stats fool you : Danis got two great seasons, also went to AHL all star game : does this make him a future number one goalie ?

I like Halak and I'm glad that he with us. But let a late draft prospect play at least one entire season in the AHL (2 would be even better) before ranking him so high...
Your argument mostly rests on a comparison based on size, which is typical of HFboards (I'd call it heightism or sizism) and fallacious. A comparison in weight between a seasoned pro and a young upstart is simply disingenuous: the 30-year old has had time to fill out, just as every NHL pro does over time (you do get that, right?). As for height, a difference of one inch makes the comparison inappropriate? Okeydoke. Let me wrap my mind around that one.

Moreover, no one is "sure" of any of these rankings, except possibly for Price who is justifiably ranked above him, so why require that level of certainty on my part of this particular player? This much can be said though: Halak has excelled at every level at which he played, despite being drafted late, which draws comparisons to Vokoun, not just by me, but elsewhere...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?r...32342&t=310938
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=279888
http://www.rds.ca/citadelles/talkbac...93/222849.html

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:05 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
With Perezhogin I was talking more about last year, I felt he wasn't treated fairly, he was producing and looking good on the top line. I know that it's hard to put a rookie out there over a vet (when Zed returned) but I feared it would effect his confidence. That said he had to find a way to produce this year and aside from some good games here and there he hasn't produced. I still have a lot of hope for him but we'll see what happens.
Well I dont share the same view.. Perezhogin was showing some nice offensive flashs with Koivu but still had some major work to do in some areas of his game... He was really inconsistent, some shifts he was looking lost and totally uneffective.. The year he spent in Russia after the lock out really hurt him IMO, Its like if he totally forgot how to play the system, what to do to have some success in NA... We sent him down last year and was having some probs even in the AHL... I think a part of the solution could be Muller or Jarvis working individually with the kid.. It should pay alot for the org.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Halak has only played 23 games this year, so I want to see him over the course of a full season. He has not been as sharp of late imo, I have no problem with others wanting to see him higher and I had considered that, especially with Emelin's lack of scoring after leading his team in scoring for defensemen last year. I like him a lot, although I still don't really know what to make of him for his nhl future, if others have a better feel for him, good for them. Personally I've always struggled with goalies, it's the one position I never played at any level.
Well that's alright. I look at it this way: If I'm a scout for another team, and the Habs are looking to trade a prospect, I'm recommending to my GM he ask for Halak instead of Kostitsyn.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Well that's alright. I look at it this way: If I'm a scout for another team, and the Habs are looking to trade a prospect, I'm recommending to my GM he ask for Halak instead of Kostitsyn.
Ok ! If I'm Bob Gainey I'll be happy to make a trade with you. And I'll say to my colleagues : '' I have found the new Milbury !''

GermanyMontrealExpat said :
Quote:
Your argument mostly rests on a comparison based on size, which is typical of HFboards
No it doesn't... There were 3 arguments. You took the one you disliked the most and then you say my argument mostly rests on this one ... Very fair of you !

Quote:
Moreover, no one is "sure" of any of these rankings, except possibly for Price who is justifiably ranked above him, so why require that level of certainty on my part of this particular player?
Simply because you said : ''He is like'' and not ''he could become''. Don't you think I know there is no certainty with prospects ? And by the way, english is not my first language (it's my third) so I use the words I know...

Quote:
This much can be said though: Halak has excelled at every level at which he played, despite being drafted late, which draws comparisons to Vokoun, not just by me, but elsewhere...
I know that. I did not say that he will not become that kind of goalie, just that (mostly for the reasons I have written earlier) it is too soon to tell. There is plenty of threads where Halak has been compared to Vokoun : that's the magic of internet, one guy makes a comparison and then, it spreads everywhere... How many of those have seen both players play enough ?

I guess we'll see in a couple of years if he deserved to be # 2.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
antidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Well I dont share the same view.. Perezhogin was showing some nice offensive flashs with Koivu but still had some major work to do in some areas of his game... He was really inconsistent, some shifts he was looking lost and totally uneffective.. The year he spent in Russia after the lock out really hurt him IMO, Its like if he totally forgot how to play the system, what to do to have some success in NA... We sent him down last year and was having some probs even in the AHL... I think a part of the solution could be Muller or Jarvis working individually with the kid.. It should pay alot for the org.
you know what ? Perezhogin is having problem with one big thing ; his shut . I don't know if it's because a lack of confidence , so that he shuts too fast or too slow , but the fact is that he shuts on the goaler or beside the net must of time .

I know that stats don't explain everything , but he has something like only 5 % of his shuts that are goals ; it's a very low average ( Saku = 18-19 % ) . May be just working on that part of his game would help him a lot .

antidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Ok ! If I'm Bob Gainey I'll be happy to make a trade with you. And I'll say to my colleagues : '' I have found the new Milbury !''
It's called a difference of opinion, being obnoxious about your own is pretty lame.

Old
01-25-2007, 07:37 PM
pc_md

It's called a difference of opinion, making a joke about it doesn't seem to make everyone laugh !

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
It's called a difference of opinion, making a joke about it doesn't seem to make everyone laugh !
Comparing a poster to Milbury can get you stoned in some places.