HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL Schedule To Revert Back To Old Format!:) (They won't)

Old
01-24-2007, 11:14 AM
BruceOp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
You could also blame Ottawa and Montreal, since they voted to maintain the status quo as well.
Why would that be? Does it line the owners of these teams wallets more to have Ottawa Montreal and Toronto in town more times during the season?

BruceOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtWrong View Post
Why would that be? Does it line the owners of these teams wallets more to have Ottawa Montreal and Toronto in town more times during the season?
Well, more sellouts I would think. Plus, travel is cheaper, and the shorter distance to travel means the schedule is easier. Players aren't gone from home for as long.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
21Gator*

Damn. 19 of 30 votes and it doesn't pass! Damn you two-thirds majority rules. And damn you Ottawa and Montreal.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Well, more sellouts I would think. Plus, travel is cheaper, and the shorter distance to travel means the schedule is easier. Players aren't gone from home for as long.
...not to mention this sort of thing might tip the scales when it comes to competing with western clubs for the UFA flavour of the month, as Terry Jones brought up in today's paper.

'Thine own cup runneth over, and screw everyone else'...that is the NHL's TRUE corporate slogan.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
...not to mention this sort of thing might tip the scales when it comes to competing with western clubs for the UFA flavour of the month, as Terry Jones brought up in today's paper.

'Thine own cup runneth over, and screw everyone else'...that is the NHL's TRUE corporate slogan.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, but just didn't write it. The players in the East just have a better schedule, and that makes it a more attractive conference to sign in.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Arpeggio

I don't know if anybody's interested, but I heard the idea on Jason Gregor's show last night to start up a website lobbying to change the schedule. I put up a petition on my website, but I don't think enough interest will be generated from a thread on an Oilers site.

We could do something similar to voteforrory.com, if enough people supported it. I'm thinking that it would really just be a petition. I don't know if enough people are interested to put up a dollar to support the site, or if it's a good idea at all, but I think we could make a difference if the site really got going.

If anybody in particular really wants to run with it, I'd be more than happy to design the website. I'm not sure if I have enough space on my computer to support the files, but it'd be really easy to transfer the files.

Let me know.

Cheers,
Wejo99

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Thank the Leafs for thinking of the league or at least other teams (ie., Western Canadian teams) other than themselves. Ottawa was open to change, they just didn't like returning to the old schedule. Montreal's vote was motivated purely by their own needs.

Toronto's management/ownership showed they cared about the league in the vote. Too bad Montreal didn't.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 01-24-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote