HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Floor Hockey Blade (need advice)

Old
01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Floor Hockey Blade (need advice)

I own a Dom Elite indoor floor hockey stick, and it is the only stick allowed by the recreational league that I am in. Unfortunately, I am finding that the blade is a bit too flimsy, and I was wondering if anybody knows of a plastic blade that will fit on a Dom Elite that is less flimsy. I'm not looking for perfection, just something that is a bit more stiff.

I have heard that a typical blade for a normal hockey stick would not work, since they are designed to go into the shaft of a blade, rather than on the oustide like the Dom Elite.

If anyone could spare some advice I'd be much appreciative.

Thank you.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

How do you shoot with those babies?

What sort of surface do you play on? I play on concrete (inline, indoors) and just use an ice stick - CCM 5030

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My recommendation. Find a new league to play in. Those things, if there's really no alternative, you're getting screwed out of showing how good you may really be.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:21 PM
alanschu

The Dom Elite is actually quite a sturdy stick for a floor hockey stick. There's no obvious flex in the shaft. The issue is only with the blade.

Finding a different league is not an option, since this is the league my friends play in. It's just a recreational league, and I play on a gym floor. Oh well.

Old
01-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Miami Panther

check your local sporting good store. down here in miami, sports authority has some pretty crappy plastic blades that might work for you. i don't know what sporting good stores you guys got, but it's worth a try.

Miami Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Seldanne

I've used Mylec blades with normal hockey sticks, for floor hockey, I believe that would work with your stick?

Here's a link

http://www.mylec.com/blades.htm

I've used the Jet-Flo Eclipse...

Seldanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Nikle

Sorry for the bump on this, but I ran across the forum (specifically this thread) while doing a search online for blades.

I'm guessing that I'm likely in the same league as alanschu (required to use the DOM shaft), and in very much the same predicament. I've checked out the link for the mylec blades, and those look promising, but I have another question as well.

Another guy on my team has a blade he picked up a few years ago, it's a no-name plastic precurved blade (very similar to a Lindros curve) that doesn't seem to suffer from the same floppiness that I've run into with the couple of blades that I've tried out thus far. The other difference is that it doesn't fit over top of the shaft, but rather into it, still needs to be screwed as I don't believe it had glue, but that point I'm not 100% on.

The place he got it from doesn't have anymore, and of course the employees are clueless as to where they may have gotten it from, so I was wondering if anybody here may have run across anything similar. I'm anticipating having to order online, or put together a group order for our team to get some, so that isn't necessarily an obstacle on our side. The Mylec Power looks to be close, but what he has definitely doesn't have their markings, and are their blades precurved or do you do that after purchase?

And yes, I know it's not the ideal situation/league for using great gear, but we're playing this coed league for fun moreso than competition, I'd just like to get the stiffest possible plastic blade I can.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Nikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
alanschu

Haha, is your team name the Pyramid Schemes?

Old
01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Nikle

heh, I take it not only are we in the same league, but same div?

You on the Foilers?

Did you ever find a good alternative blade?

Nikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
alanschu

Not yet. He suggested United Cycle so I'm going to take a look in a day or two.

And yes, I'm a Foiler. And for the record, we hate your guy with his hard blade because he dances around us and makes us look like fools!!

Old
01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Iron

hey just curious what's the league called that you guys play in?

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Trevor_deen

I play in the same league and just bought a blade from Canadian Tire, it works great. I do like the Dom Elite stick but agree the blade is flimsy. I don't think it really matter what kind of blade you buy...pretty sure I paid only a couple bucks for mine and it makes a world of difference.

If you're curious, I'm on Wholesome Twenties on Sunday and Blades of Steel on Tuesday.

Trevor_deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Ray10

Hey I was just wondering what League you guys play in and what city the league is in.

Ray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:28 AM
alanschu

Which Canadian Tire did you go to? I went to the one on 118 Ave and they didn't seem to have blades of any kind.

The League we play in is the Edmonton Sport and Social Club.

Old
01-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Trevor_deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Which Canadian Tire did you go to? I went to the one on 118 Ave and they didn't seem to have blades of any kind.
It was quite a while ago. I would think United Cycle or any other sporting goods store would have what you need

Trevor_deen is offline   Reply With Quote