HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul/Torres mid season review by TSN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2007, 03:17 AM
  #1
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Lupul/Torres mid season review by TSN

Surprises and Busts from TSN:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193305&hubname=

"He's been horrible, a major bust this season, as has Raffi Torres of the Oilers and Red Wings defenceman Niklas Kronwall. "

"Joffrey Lupul, Oilers. Pronger trade was worst since Gretzky left Alberta. "


No mention of Smyth having a career year though, but not surprised.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
  #2
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Surprises and Busts from TSN:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193305&hubname=

"He's been horrible, a major bust this season, as has Raffi Torres of the Oilers and Red Wings defenceman Niklas Kronwall. "

"Joffrey Lupul, Oilers. Pronger trade was worst since Gretzky left Alberta. "


No mention of Smyth having a career year though, but not surprised.
It was actually written by Canadian Press. You know the media don't want to write anything positive on the Oilers. Why the Lupul bashing by the media. Is it any wonder no one wants to play in Edmonton. It's because of the negative crap written about Edmonton. For once I'd like to read somehthing positive instead of negative crap all the time.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames

Last edited by Narnia: 01-23-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
  #3
korqeldroma
Registered User
 
korqeldroma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Haha, they think Rick Nash plays for the Coyotes.

korqeldroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:31 AM
  #4
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,823
vCash: 500
there isnt anything wrong with calling a spade a spade.... lupul has been very, very, very bad since coming over here.... its still too early to call the trade a bust though since the players go got in return are 20, 23, 18 and 18 years old (and possibly another one who is currently 17, lol).... ill wait a couple years before i decide who won this trade in the long term, although its not even close who won it this year (but its not like that is news to anybody)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
  #5
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
i learned long ago to not give any credence to anything that appears on tsn.ca. EVER.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:19 PM
  #6
Geoffvp
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Agreed with jadeddog above. Lupul is having a very, very dissapointing year, and I see no reason we should treat that fact with kids gloves to make him feel better.
When they refer to Torres, I think they're more talking about how they thought he'd have a breakout season but hasn't, not that he's been particularly bad this year.

That being said, wayyy too soon to call the trade a complete failure. Who knows, even if Lupul bombs, that first pick could be the next superstar.

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
  #7
mvprimate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
To be perfectly honest, I am more disappointed with torres than lupul. He is older and has been in the system for quite a while now yet cannot seem to establish himself as a consistent presence.

I think lately( last 2 or 3 games) lupul has been playing harder and actually digging for the puck. I have not been impressed with lupul at all but will give him another season before i give up on him.

Torres needs to be a more visible presence right now though IMO.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
  #8
Hemsky2Penner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
***....

Isn't it a bit too early to be calling the Pronger trade the worst one since the Gretzky trade. Stupid Canadian Press (CP)!!

Lupul hasn't had a great year this season, but I still think he will come around. What about Ladislav Smid, he has so much potential. For a 20 year old to step into the NHL like that and have so much composure. This guy will be good. Plus the other potential picks which may be drafted by the team.

But they are right, Lupul from a fantasy pool perspective has been a bust. Hopefully he will pick it up in the second half of the season.

Hemsky2Penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
  #9
Oilforblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffvp View Post
Agreed with jadeddog above. Lupul is having a very, very dissapointing year, and I see no reason we should treat that fact with kids gloves to make him feel better.
When they refer to Torres, I think they're more talking about how they thought he'd have a breakout season but hasn't, not that he's been particularly bad this year.

That being said, wayyy too soon to call the trade a complete failure. Who knows, even if Lupul bombs, that first pick could be the next superstar.
I disagree. Lupul is on pace for a nearly identical year as he had in Anaheim... without the likes of Selanne, Neidermeyer, or Getzlaf to help him out.

Remember, Lupul is very much like the Pisani situation. His breakout and the bulk of his press leading into this season was about his playoff performance. Lupul isn't a bust, he's just not the Pronger equal everyone foolishly believed he would be. Of course, I'd love him to be doing better especially in the +/-, but I think we as fans expect too much of the kid right now. Give him time and stop the hate or we'll just continue to chase quality players from Edmonton and the Oilers. The town will love him when he's scores 30+ next year.

Oilforblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
  #10
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
There were only 2 players that are close enough to Prongs in the immediate future.

Lidstrom who is getting older and Neids. Anaheim would not have done a sideways move to swap dmen.

Lowe got decent value for the given situation.

Pronger is irreplacable and the Oilers had to get best possible value and move on

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
  #11
Hnatiuk
Registered User
 
Hnatiuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilforblood View Post
I disagree. Lupul is on pace for a nearly identical year as he had in Anaheim... without the likes of Selanne, Neidermeyer, or Getzlaf to help him out.

Remember, Lupul is very much like the Pisani situation. His breakout and the bulk of his press leading into this season was about his playoff performance. Lupul isn't a bust, he's just not the Pronger equal everyone foolishly believed he would be. Of course, I'd love him to be doing better especially in the +/-, but I think we as fans expect too much of the kid right now. Give him time and stop the hate or we'll just continue to chase quality players from Edmonton and the Oilers. The town will love him when he's scores 30+ next year.


Exactly... Best post I have read in days. He is playing OK right now and we can expect him to pick it up over the next little while. Assuming he gets consistant minutes with consistant linemates he will be fine.

Hnatiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
  #12
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,425
vCash: 500
I agree that Lupul has been crappy, but its impossible to say if the trade for Pronger was the worst since Gretzky since it was obviously a trade for the future, with draft picks and Smid. In a few years the Oilers could have up to 5 players in the lineup from the Pronger trade, who knows how much of an impact those players could make.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
  #13
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 665
NHL fantasy doesn't have alot to do with oiler hate.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:24 PM
  #14
mvprimate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I agree that Lupul has been crappy, but its impossible to say if the trade for Pronger was the worst since Gretzky since it was obviously a trade for the future, with draft picks and Smid. In a few years the Oilers could have up to 5 players in the lineup from the Pronger trade, who knows how much of an impact those players could make.
Good point, the fact is these players are all extremely young and who knows what could happen with draft picks, etc.

Look at the vikings, cowboys trade in the nfl in the late 80's. The cowboys sent the best rusher in the nfl, herschel walker to the vikings for a crapload of draftpicks. Sure the cowboys looked like losers the year after going i think 1-15, but guess who they drafted, Emitt Smith. Those picks built a 3 super bowl team and one of the greatest in nfl history.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
  #15
Ad Rock
Registered User
 
Ad Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario.
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilforblood View Post
I disagree. Lupul is on pace for a nearly identical year as he had in Anaheim... without the likes of Selanne, Neidermeyer, or Getzlaf to help him out.
Well actually he is on pace to have a much worse year than last. He is on pace for 6 fewer goals, 13 fewer assists, -9 worse and 120 less shots than last year. This is clearly a regression in his development for at least this year.

I am hoping and praying like everyone else here that he manages to find his game eventually, but we can not pretend that this year his performance is even close to what he was doing last year.

Ad Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
  #16
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,861
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
i learned long ago to not give any credence to anything that appears on tsn.ca. EVER.
That is the toronto sports network

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
  #17
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.
 
callighenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
i learned long ago to not give any credence to anything that appears on tsn.ca. EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
That is the toronto sports network
And CP, which actually wrote the article, stands for Communist Press!!!

(Number of Leafs applauded in the story = 0. Sometimes an opinion is just an opinion.)

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.