HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Management Keeping low risk strategy???

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Is Management Keeping low risk strategy???

Though Savard overpaid for some player main objective of building strong prospect groupe is going strong, I think management has been very hesitant for trading anyone after Chow screwup, Ottawa has been best example of this they kept on adding prospects until last year, and haven't really traded for any big player yet with patience they find great players year after year, and as the message goes from our management we have the best scouts in the league and waiting is all Gainey and company are doing right now, as with so many holes to fill making one trade won't solve any problems, only way is to wait for young guys to take over the job, thats why Savard signed Rivet and Briseboise to such a bad contract its to give our organization much needed break to develop and draft great young talent rather then trading it away, from the time Savard came to montreal in 2001 we haven't lost any major talent so far and we've build a very strong core of prospect depth chart, and we could be ready to challenge for playoff spot as soon as in two years, Tampa Bay has same philosophy as well they kept their young core and they are getting great results now.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Though Savard overpaid for some player main objective of building strong prospect groupe is going strong, I think management has been very hesitant for trading anyone after Chow screwup, Ottawa has been best example of this they kept on adding prospects until last year, and haven't really traded for any big player yet with patience they find great players year after year, and as the message goes from our management we have the best scouts in the league and waiting is all Gainey and company are doing right now, as with so many holes to fill making one trade won't solve any problems, only way is to wait for young guys to take over the job, thats why Savard signed Rivet and Briseboise to such a bad contract its to give our organization much needed break to develop and draft great young talent rather then trading it away, from the time Savard came to montreal in 2001 we haven't lost any major talent so far and we've build a very strong core of prospect depth chart, and we could be ready to challenge for playoff spot as soon as in two years, Tampa Bay has same philosophy as well they kept their young core and they are getting great results now.
Good observations

Old
12-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:

This is a quality post.

It's easy to criticize individual decisions without looking at what really matters which is the big picture.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Necrophile

Quote:
I always liked Savard's plan. It's his contract negotiation skills which were quite bad and have cost us in the short term more than we should have paid for certain veterans. The examples are numerous: Audette, Perreault, Rivet, Brisebois (who I like, but not at 4 m$), Czerkawski, McKay, and to some extent Theodore (5 m$ for 1 good season is a little too much), etc.

I'm just glad people are starting to see the results and realize this is not "just another 5-year plan". This is the real deal, folks, and I'm just glad we have a more than solid group of prospects to look forward to.

The future is bright...

Old
12-03-2003, 05:18 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
that was a good analysis, lets hope that the rest of the board follows in your example when the bad times hit again and remember the big picture

of savard's only bad deal was getting traverse for weinrich (i'm not sure but he may have been the best we coulda got for a punding ufa)

Old
12-03-2003, 09:04 PM
SuperUnknown

Chow is becoming his old self again... I think it was a very good thing that we released him.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Chow is becoming his old self again... I think it was a very good thing that we released him.
His play has deteriorated and now he has a heart problem. Tough couple years for Chow (tho he is a dummy as a player imo).

Old
12-03-2003, 10:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Old
12-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Joe Maximum

What's really great to know is that teams like Ottawa and Tampa will fail to hoist the cup because they don't have franchise goalies, and we're set in that department!!! ( although lalime and Khabibulin are good, they haven't shown the ability to kick their game up 5 notches when the playoffs come, and Theo is able to do that IMO )

Old
12-04-2003, 06:14 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
What's really great to know is that teams like Ottawa and Tampa will fail to hoist the cup because they don't have franchise goalies, and we're set in that department!!! ( although lalime and Khabibulin are good, they haven't shown the ability to kick their game up 5 notches when the playoffs come, and Theo is able to do that IMO )
Come on, Khabibulin is awesome. Lalime is very good as well, though they could do better.

Theodore is still developing as well imho. I think he can get even better.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Come on, Khabibulin is awesome. Lalime is very good as well, though they could do better.

Theodore is still developing as well imho. I think he can get even better.
They're awesome I know but I personally beleive that to go far in the playoffs ( I don't care how good your team is ) you need a goalie who gets into that invincible mode. There aren't many in the league, and I think Theo will become one, mainly because of the stuff he strutted in the boston series

Old
12-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Darz

Your post is bang on Habs4ever, and remember even the Chow trade could be considered low risk. We were not giving up any core player or prospect at the time.
I think BG will keep the low risk strategy in place. I don't think he will look at trading younger players or prospects unless we are getting similiar players in return, and will be lookin at trading any player on the team over 30 for valuable, younger parts of the puzzle.

Old
12-05-2003, 11:04 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
They're awesome I know but I personally beleive that to go far in the playoffs ( I don't care how good your team is ) you need a goalie who gets into that invincible mode. There aren't many in the league, and I think Theo will become one, mainly because of the stuff he strutted in the boston series
Neither Khabi or Theo have had a well put together team in front of them yet. Tampa isn't bad this year, but they're overhyped because of their fast start.

Khabi played his ass off for Russia tho in the Olympics.

I can't wait to see Theo play behind a Bo Gainey-constructed team.

Old
12-05-2003, 11:26 AM
habitants9_4

Savard's plan was to make this team a winner now, while building a healthy future to look upon. I doubt he was ever capable of building a very good team through trades. He was afraid to pull the trigger on a blockbuster. Now we have Gainey who can build a cup winning team. For this season they need to have a good pick, someone who turns out well. We have plenty of good prospects, but none are turning heads. We need a spect to break out, and hopefully the rest could follow.

Old
12-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Russeltown

IMO Theodore, Giguere, Brodeur are goalies that can put on an Invincible mode when Play-off arrives.

Lalime and Khabibulin are pretty good goalers, but I can't see them as like as Theo, Giggy or Brodeur.

Closed Thread