HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Rathje doesn't retire?

Old
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Flyers_01

vCash: 500
What if Rathje doesn't retire?

From Rotoworld :

Mike Rathje says he has no plans to retire.

The defenseman has missed the last 22 games with a condition called piriformis syndrome, which basically causes chronic back pain. He has visited doctors, and no cures have worked, but Rathje says he is still hopefull. "Nothing's going on right now," he said. "We really haven't discussed much. I've just been taking some time off. I do a little exercise on my own to stay active, but basically I'm just trying to heal." Considering Rathje isn't exactly a fantasy stud, you can forget about him, at least for the near future.
Source: Philly Burbs

-----------------------------

Flyers would be absolutely screwed next year with Hatcher, Zhitnik, and Rathje all coming back. It's a long shot of him coming back but I had thought Rathje retired. Hard to walk away from all that guaranteed money tho even if you need a wheelchair to get on the ice.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
From Rotoworld :

Mike Rathje says he has no plans to retire.

The defenseman has missed the last 22 games with a condition called piriformis syndrome, which basically causes chronic back pain. He has visited doctors, and no cures have worked, but Rathje says he is still hopefull. "Nothing's going on right now," he said. "We really haven't discussed much. I've just been taking some time off. I do a little exercise on my own to stay active, but basically I'm just trying to heal." Considering Rathje isn't exactly a fantasy stud, you can forget about him, at least for the near future.
Source: Philly Burbs

-----------------------------

Flyers would be absolutely screwed next year with Hatcher, Zhitnik, and Rathje all coming back. It's a long shot of him coming back but I had thought Rathje retired. Hard to walk away from all that guaranteed money tho even if you need a wheelchair to get on the ice.
Houston we have a problem. But it is premature to assume he will retire. He is a player. It is hard to give up. I think he will give it a go in camp. So his money may not be available to use right away. At least that will be one less position we have to worry about.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Houston we have a problem. But it is premature to assume he will retire. He is a player. It is hard to give up. I think he will give it a go in camp. So his money may not be available to use right away. At least that will be one less position we have to worry about.
Possibly another Primeau situation. The Flyers giving Primeau all that time to decide screwed them when it came to signing FA last year.

Old
01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Can't we just put him on waivers or something if he doesn't retire?

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
phlocky

If he won't "volentarily" retire then he should be taken out back and "put down" like the lame horse he is.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2473
The article:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...7-1115069.html

Just about everybody was under the impression that Flyers defenseman Mike Rathje and his severe back ailment were headed toward retirement.

Not so fast, Rathje says.

Although he's been sidelined since November by a condition called piriformis syndrome (in which a nerve is trapped inside a muscle, causing a great deal of discomfort), Rathje remains hopeful.

He's visited doctors all over the country, and while all the proposed cures have failed to work, he's not ready to give up yet.

"You couldn't get it to look that way in a movie if you took fifty takes," Al Michaels.

"He's a winner, he's a winner, he's a winner. You won the Kentucky Derby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGQV3Q5K50
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
RoDu

buy him out like we did to Amonte and Leclair

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
buy him out like we did to Amonte and Leclair
I may be wrong but I believe that was done during a one time "buyout won't count against the cap" period. A buyout now would still handcuff us with the cap. The only thing they can do is send him to the AHL and let him rot for 3.5 mill/yr where he won't count against the cap. I really can't see how buyouts are really viable under the current cap system.

Old
01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Possibly another Primeau situation. The Flyers giving Primeau all that time to decide screwed them when it came to signing FA last year.
We can still sign FA's this year, because he's on LTIR and we get his cap hit back.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Quote:
I may be wrong but I believe that was done during a one time "buyout won't count against the cap" period. A buyout now would still handcuff us with the cap. The only thing they can do is send him to the AHL and let him rot for 3.5 mill/yr where he won't count against the cap. I really can't see how buyouts are really viable under the current cap system.
...where you would hope he doesn't report and then you can suspend him.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
I really can't see how buyouts are really viable under the current cap system.
Guerin pre-buyout cap hit for Dallas:
06-07: $6,738,498

after the buyout:
06-07: $2,246,166
07-08: $2,246,166

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
We can still sign FA's this year, because he's on LTIR and we get his cap hit back.
you don't get anything back, the only thing is ou are allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary (day for day)

Old
01-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
Guerin pre-buyout cap hit for Dallas:
06-07: $6,738,498

after the buyout:
06-07: $2,246,166
07-08: $2,246,166
Right, he had one year left and they spread the buyout over 2 years. The total amount of the buyout counted against the cap albeit over two years. However, as long as the team had the money and the desire to use that cap space. It would make sense to pay Guerin an extra 1.2 million to play in the AHL for one year to recover 4.5 million in cap space over 2 years.

Choice A: Pay Guerin 4.5 mill and take a 4.5 mill cap hit over 2 years to walk away.
Choice B: Pay Guerin 6.7 mill to play in the AHL and take ZERO cap hit.

Choice A is better for the player as they can sign with another team. Choice B, I would imagine, is better for the team especially the rich teams.

In this case Guerin really made out as he's having a bounceback year for the Blues while getting paid by both the Blues and Stars.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Isles Never Quit

Quote:
Right, he had one year left and they spread the buyout over 2 years. The total amount of the buyout counted against the cap albeit over two years. However, as long as the team had the money and the desire to use that cap space. It would make sense to pay Guerin an extra 1.2 million to play in the AHL for one year to recover 4.5 million in cap space over 2 years.

Choice A: Pay Guerin 4.5 mill and take a 4.5 mill cap hit over 2 years to walk away.
Choice B: Pay Guerin 6.7 mill to play in the AHL and take ZERO cap hit.

Choice A is better for the player as they can sign with another team. Choice B, I would imagine, is better for the team especially the rich teams.

In this case Guerin really made out as he's having a bounceback year for the Blues while getting paid by both the Blues and Stars.
Just wanted to clarify something. Yes, a team can demote a player and let him rot in the AHL. But isn't that an imperfect solution as the CBA makes provisions to prevent a team from "hiding" salaries in the minors? I thought that at the start of every season, the team's cap is calculated by all of its professional (ie 1 way) contracts. For example, NJ had to count Mogilny (although it turned out later that he was erased) and McGillis before the start of the new season.

So wouldn't Philly then have to have room for Rat (and others) under the cap at the start of the season regardless?

Isles Never Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Walzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatsnHeels View Post
For example, NJ had to count Mogilny (although it turned out later that he was erased) and McGillis before the start of the new season.

So wouldn't Philly then have to have room for Rat (and others) under the cap at the start of the season regardless?

Mogilny, Malakhov counted because they were in the 2nd year of a multi-year-contract which they signed being over 35 years old.

one-way contracts in the minors don't count against the cap so you could do that (like Baumgartner)

Old
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I will ****ing puke if this stupid mother ****er thinks he can still play the game of hockey, healthy or not, and completely **** over our plans in free agency. If this becomes another Primeau situation, but this time with a player that means jack **** to everyone, I will personally 'shovel' Holmgren and Rathje.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
you don't get anything back, the only thing is ou are allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary (day for day)
Yeah I meant that, just typed it wrong lol.

Old
01-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Right now he is on IR right? Well can someone be waived and sent to the Minor league while on IR? Or could we waive and have him to report to the Phantoms when he gets back. If he gets back I should say...

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan01301 View Post
Right now he is on IR right? Well can someone be waived and sent to the Minor league while on IR? Or could we waive and have him to report to the Phantoms when he gets back. If he gets back I should say...
I believe we could, but he's still better than most of the Phantoms right now, as much as that's hard for me to admit.

Old
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan01301 View Post
no, you cant send a guy down to the minors if he's on the IR

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tol pwnage View Post
Can't we just put him on waivers or something if he doesn't retire?
Yes, if he comes off IR.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote