HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 All Star Game in MTL

Old
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
I dont think there was ne doubt we were getting it.

the NHL is not that stupid that they wont give it to the leagues most storied franchise when they are turning 100 years old.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Delat

vCash: 500
This is going to be a really nice year...Ill save money for sure to be part of this game!

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Guys ease up on the Phoenix bashing, if Montréal had been promised the All-star game and then lost it, people here would be miffed.
They will pobably be awarded the 2010 All-Star Game, if no city has been chosen yet.
What I'm wondering about is: Montreal knew this was coming almost a century ago, how come they did not request this years ago and/or why did the NHL award the 2009 All-Star to Phoenix in the first place instead of a later year? Hard to believe it was an NHL front office oversight...

CalHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Good to see it is confirmed for our 100 year anniversary.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
AH

Quote:
Guys ease up on the Phoenix bashing, if Montréal had been promised the All-star game and then lost it, people here would be miffed.
But what if it was in favor of the 75th anniversary of the Maple Leafs celebrating their last Cup win?

That would make it easier much easier. Only 35 more years to go.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Is it safe to assume that full season ticket holders will have the option of purchasing tickets without having to enter a lottery or something similar?

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79 View Post
How many sell out you guys have this year?
I realize I'm talking to the choir, but what does selling out games have to do with anything? Dallas doesn't sell out games and they have it this year, Atlanta doesn't sell out games and they have it next year. Heck Phoenix is a bigger city (both in size and population) than Montreal, Phoenix has a greater number of fortune 500 companies in it's metro area than Montreal I can go on and on When you make ridiculous rationalizations like: " How many games does Phx sell out?" then I get to make similar ridiculous rationalizations on how much better a city Phoenix is than Montreal.

I know Canadians think they own the sport and maybe they do, but it's this arrogance that hockey could drop out of the desert and no one cares, is ridiculous. We are the fastest growing metroplex in N. America, if that doesn’t account for something.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmglenn View Post
I realize I'm talking to the choir, but what does selling out games have to do with anything? Dallas doesn't sell out games and they have it this year, Atlanta doesn't sell out games and they have it next year. Heck Phoenix is a bigger city (both in size and population) than Montreal, Phoenix has a greater number of fortune 500 companies in it's metro area than Montreal I can go on and on When you make ridiculous rationalizations like: " How many games does Phx sell out?" then I get to make similar ridiculous rationalizations on how much better a city Phoenix is than Montreal.

I know Canadians think they own the sport and maybe they do, but it's this arrogance that hockey could drop out of the desert and no one cares, is ridiculous. We are the fastest growing metroplex in N. America, if that doesn’t account for something.

lol.. this argument wont end.. my city is better then yours blah blah blah.
its a dumb argument and your arguing with teh wrong ppl. Call Bettmen and ask him why we have it and now you.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
HomaridII

Quote:

Dude, you had me until you started mentioning dumb things like fortune 500 companies, etc... Do NOT challenge Montreal when it comes to Hockey, EVER! As opposed to Toronto we DO sell out AND fully attend every game each year and not with suits sitting in the lower seats but fans instead. Montreal is HockeyTown. Phoenix is nowhere near Montreal and will NEVER be when it comes to Hockey.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHabFan View Post
They will pobably be awarded the 2010 All-Star Game, if no city has been chosen yet.
What I'm wondering about is: Montreal knew this was coming almost a century ago, how come they did not request this years ago and/or why did the NHL award the 2009 All-Star to Phoenix in the first place instead of a later year? Hard to believe it was an NHL front office oversight...
I know for a fact that Pierre Boivin has been planning this out for several years. The Canadiens even made a bid for the 2009 World Junior Championships (which were awarded to Ottawa), also in plans of using it for the centennial anniversary. After the PHX all-star game was cancelled, the NHL promised they would give them a future all-star game, but they never officially awarded the 2009 one to them. I think they'll probably get the 2010 all-star game if they insist.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
The game needs to be in Montreal during the 100th anniversay season, that is a no brainer.

But to read some of the comments about Phoenix grinds my gears. The NHL has a lot of time and money invested in these kinds of markets and every team in the league has a vested interest in them doing well and prospering.

What better way to promote the game than to have the best players in the world showing their stuff in front of a new audience? 2011 works for me.

Last edited by Alberta Yote: 01-23-2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Olympic Year
Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Dude, you had me until you started mentioning dumb things like fortune 500 companies, etc... Do NOT challenge Montreal when it comes to Hockey, EVER! As opposed to Toronto we DO sell out AND fully attend every game each year and not with suits sitting in the lower seats but fans instead. Montreal is HockeyTown. Phoenix is nowhere near Montreal and will NEVER be when it comes to Hockey.
how many sellouts in a row is it now??

closing in on 100, thats for sure.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Ya really. People are making themselves look pretty ignorant.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I know for a fact that Pierre Boivin has been planning this out for several years. The Canadiens even made a bid for the 2009 World Junior Championships (which were awarded to Ottawa), also in plans of using it for the centennial anniversary. After the PHX all-star game was cancelled, the NHL promised they would give them a future all-star game, but they never officially awarded the 2009 one to them. I think they'll probably get the 2010 all-star game if they insist.
There is no All-Star game in 2010 because its an Olympics Year. Its part of the new CBA that no all-star game will be held during Olympic Years.

They will have to wait until 2011.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:17 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:

Yeah... you've got a good population in the metro area and all but you cant sincerly compare it to Montreal when it comes to hockey.

We've got the biggest arena in the NHL and the tickets were sellout for the year in about an hour and a half at the start of the year.

Out of the 113 years the Stanley Cup was awared, 46 times it was awarded to the city of Montreal.

I don't want to sound cocky, but the NHL owes a lot to the city of Montreal. Basically the game who was invented at McGill, a ridiculous amount of Hall of Famer and a lots of it's history.

There's some time when you manage a business that you need to focus on the little to help them and there's other time when you just need to focus on the positive and award what has been great for you.

Thats the century of the Montreal Canadiens for chrissake. Swallow your pill and be happy Montreal was there because if they werent their is a good chance you would have no hockey at all.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
The game needs to be in Montreal during the 100th anniversay season, that is a no brainer.

But to read some of the comments about Phoenix grinds my gears. The NHL has a lot of time and money invested in these kinds of markets and every team in the league has a vested interest in them doing well and prospering.

What better way to promote the game than to have the best players in the world showing their stuff in front of a new audience? 2010 works for me.
I agree that some of the posts in this thread are completely out of line and completely disrespectful. It could be a remnant of Expos fans feeling the wrath of American baseball fans...? (perhaps, I'm stretching

But honestly, the all-star game has proven time and time again that it doesn't work at selling the game. It isn't a true representation of a real hockey game, so i doubt that it gets anyone really hooked. The fact that it was cancelled last year also shows how unimportant it is ultimately. The all-star game exists only in modern times because it is a good platform for corporations that sponsor the NHL to get involved and peddle their products. It is the reason for which companies like Nike (during the 1996 all-star game) and RBK (this year) make a big splash. It is also the reason why you see players wear the newest equipment and networks try the newest technology. It has very little to do with the fans, and does very little to attract new fans, IMO.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Geoffvp

Quote:

Selling out games has everything to do with everything. Why put an all-star game in a city where no one will go? In recent years, the NHL has been all but forgetting it's Canadian base in favor of attracting popularity in the US. This move to celebrate the history of hockey and reward it's most passionate fans is fantastic.
What would having the all-star game in Phoenix accomplish? Reward the 10,000 fans who will show up? Will it even promote further attendance? Unlikely.

Arguments based on the city, how big it is, how many fortune 500 companies there are, is ridiculous. The fact is, while I applaud you for being a hockey fan, there are far too few of you in Phoenix. Hell, the Coyotes have been around 2 years longer than the Diamondbacks, have accomplished much less, and have yet to attract a solid fanbase. I'm not blaming you or trashing you, just saying it like it is.

Nothing wrong with Celebrating history and rewarding passionate fans. If the MLB all-star game was awarded to the Montreal Expos in 2003 over, say, Arizona, I'd find that pretty ridiculous.

So don't take it so personally, you have a great, growing city with tons of fortune 500 companies like you said, lots of pro-sports teams, good weather, etc. So why not let us poor, small town montreal fans enjoy the all-star game instead of coming to our boards? You say that it's arrogant to think that hockey could drop out of the desert and no one would care since your city is growing so much; and I'd respond by asking why your attendance levels haven't grown along with your city?
Americans were saying that "Baseball could drop out of montreal and no one would care" for years. Was it arrogant? No: it was true. Because essentially that's just what happened.

Again, I'm not attacking you or your city, just stating my opinion that some sports just don't work in some markets and that its a mistake to hang on for dear life instead of moving on.

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
When the Allstar game does come to Phoenix, it will sell out.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
biggie

now that montreal got the asg does that mean they also get the draft if so

biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Is it safe to assume that full season ticket holders will have the option of purchasing tickets without having to enter a lottery or something similar?
I hope so or I will complaint!

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

what about the WC and WJC? Do we still have a chance to get them in MTL the same year?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
I think it answers my previous question... Can we still get the WC?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
what about the WC and WJC? Do we still have a chance to get them in MTL the same year?
World Juniors have already been awarded to Ottawa.

Are you talking about the World Championships? That's coming to Canada in 2008 (Halifax and Quebec City, although there have been doubts about Quebec City in the past week). It definitely won't come back to the same country in consecutive years, especially when the WCs have never been in Canada prior this 2008. Also, they would never play the World Championships in an NHL building in May.

But in terms of 2009, I think we have the ASG and the Draft already locked down. It wouldn't surprise me if the Canadiens decided to do an outdoor game (Heritage Classic II) as well.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
World Juniors have already been awarded to Ottawa.

Are you talking about the World Championships? That's coming to Canada in 2008 (Halifax and Quebec City, although there have been doubts about Quebec City in the past week). It definitely won't come back to the same country in consecutive years.

But in terms of 2009, I think we have the ASG and the Draft already locked down. It wouldn't surprise me if the Canadiens decided to do an outdoor game (Heritage Classic II) as well.
I think you forgot to mention the Stanley Cup Finals. And the parade.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
When the Allstar game does come to Phoenix, it will sell out.
I hope so.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote