HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to do the Michigan?

Old
01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
How to do the Michigan?

You know, cradling the puck onto the blade of the stick and swooping it around the back of the net. I can't do it, I've tried numerous times but I simply can't get the puck to lift. I'm sick of those young whippersnappers having all the fun, it's time for an old-timer to step up and show them what we can do! Is there an actual technique behind it? A ste by step tutorial would be great! Anybody care to show me a physical demonstration through a video? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
You know, cradling the puck onto the blade of the stick and swooping it around the back of the net. I can't do it, I've tried numerous times but I simply can't get the puck to lift. I'm sick of those young whippersnappers having all the fun, it's time for an old-timer to step up and show them what we can do! Is there an actual technique behind it? A ste by step tutorial would be great! Anybody care to show me a physical demonstration through a video? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wOlPPKoIXvg

Thats not me but its basically the same thing. . .

You kinda let the toe of ur blade cradle the puck, it just takes some practice but is pretty easy wen u get the hang of it

...now all that inbetween the legs 360 spin and then a lacrosse style shot into the upper corner. . .

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:52 AM
redlighthockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Rational View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wOlPPKoIXvg

Thats not me but its basically the same thing. . .

You kinda let the toe of ur blade cradle the puck, it just takes some practice but is pretty easy wen u get the hang of it

...now all that inbetween the legs 360 spin and then a lacrosse style shot into the upper corner. . .
That's not technically right. You do it on your heel. I know he's doing it on his toe which is fine because he's on cement, but the original Michigan was done using the heel of the stick.

I'll post a video later....

redlighthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
RedAce

you gotta to be kidding right?? My grandma can do that.
OK listen closely
1. Get a whippy stick 85 flex or so.
2. Make sure you have a flat blade with little curve on it.
3. Tape it up good and put alot of wax on the blade.
5. Use the mid to heel of the blade.
6. Watch closely the video.

Once you get it you will see there is nothing to this it is in fact kinda lame.

Real skill is very little or no tape no wax and and do it by juggling the puck.

RedAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Senor Rational

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlighthockey View Post
That's not technically right. You do it on your heel. I know he's doing it on his toe which is fine because he's on cement, but the original Michigan was done using the heel of the stick.

I'll post a video later....
Doh! I was thinkin heel but typed in toe

thank you

Old
01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Hugh Madbrough

I pick it up with the toe of my blade.

the less curve the easier.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
redlighthockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAce View Post
OK listen closely

Once you get it you will see there is nothing to this it is in fact kinda lame.

Real skill is very little or no tape no wax and and do it by juggling the puck.
No, it's really not that easy. I still have problems when trying to do the michigan on ice with a heatley tape job.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
RedAce

I am sorry but it really is that easy. your not doing it right or you got TOO MUCH curve on your blade. I can do it on the toe of my blade in the middle or the heel. I can do it forhand backhand and with one hand. once you get it you'll see there really no skill to this.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:20 PM
redlighthockey

Quote:
I am sorry but it really is that easy. your not doing it right or you got TOO MUCH curve on your blade. I can do it on the toe of my blade in the middle or the heel. I can do it forhand backhand and with one hand. once you get it you'll see there really no skill to this.
It's a modona curve. I guess I just suck.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Form and Substance

Thanks for the replies, and Senor Rationale, please post a vid if you can, thanks. Same goes for you Red Ace, if you're really that good.

So basically, you tape up your stick, apply some wax, and hope for the best?

As for the vid that was posted (appreciated), I can do it on cement, but can't do it on ice, something about the friction and the timing I guess. It's so slippery on a clean sheet of ice.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
12 oz Papa*

Recently, in a roller hockey game, a kid on the other team tried to pull this stunt off, he used the tip of his blade just like in that video. Sadly for him, he didn't pull it off.

Is it just me, or do you not pull that kind of crap when you're winning? They were beating us 4 - 1 and tried to pull that, it really pissed me off.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Wooty

I can't do it either

I need a video tutorial

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Wooty

Here is the Michigan one
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BtflVC116uE

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Senor Rational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Thanks for the replies, and Senor Rationale, please post a vid if you can, thanks. Same goes for you Red Ace, if you're really that good.

So basically, you tape up your stick, apply some wax, and hope for the best?

As for the vid that was posted (appreciated), I can do it on cement, but can't do it on ice, something about the friction and the timing I guess. It's so slippery on a clean sheet of ice.
I cheat on the ice, you can sometimes just "shoot" the puck onto ur blade, by makin a shootin type motion but then lay ur blade flat and let the tape grip the puck. . . . kinda cheasy but it works

Ill post a video on monday night but the quality is gona be low, I only have my camera phone/flix thing

Old
01-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
OK listen closely
1. I have done it with a 110 flex - flex doesn't matter
2. Curve doesn't matter either - I have used a 3/4 curve to do it
3. I have done it without tape and I never use wax
5. Yep
6. Yep

The curve, tape, flex, etc doesn't matter. It is the motion you use to scoop up the puck.

Simply put pressure on the puck and pull your stick in towards your body, all in one motion. Inertia will keep the puck on your blade.

Once you learn the correct technique, you can do it with any stick, uisng any curve.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:39 AM
RedAce

Mr Jiggyfly Yup your right none of those other things really madder that much BUT for a beginer like some of these guys i thinks having a whippy stick and flater blade will help them get the hang of it and once they see how easy it is any flex and any blade will do. As for a video i have a short dvd of me doing these but i don't know how to post it on here any help would be great or how can i get it on utube?

Also i want to say that it doesn't made how fast the ice is that has nothing to do with this move. If by anychance any of you are in the New york area Long island let me know we can get together and i can show you how do do it and have you doing it in 10 15mins.

Old
01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
PMP5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Simply put pressure on the puck and pull your stick in towards your body, all in one motion. Inertia will keep the puck on your blade.

Once you learn the correct technique, you can do it with any stick, uisng any curve.
Yep. It works the best on fresh ice. Just place the blade flat the puck and apply downward pressure, then pull the puck backwards. You'll scoop the puck up almost automatically.

It used to drive me crazy that I couldn't figure it out, then one of the fine posters here at HF explained it and the next time on the ice I did it on my 2nd attempt at the ripe age of 32. Still haven't quite got the hang of doing it while moving like some others I know can, though (like Crosby does in the RBK commercial, there's guys in my local league who can do that stuff).

PMP5030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP5030 View Post
Yep. It works the best on fresh ice.
The move is really easy to do on ice because there is no friction.

I can do it once in awhile with a jofa seed puck on cement, but I hate those pucks and only do it when I'm playing roller hockey and feel like messing around. The speed puck tends to stick, which makes the move unnatural and difficult to do.

Quote:
till haven't quite got the hang of doing it while moving like some others I know can
Doing it on ice while moving isn't that hard, you have to swing out wide away from the puck, so that when you reach out your stick is flat on the ice.

Here is a drill that will help you pick it up while moving:

Skate with the puck out as far as possible to your side, then dip into a turn towards the puck. At this point the puck should be about a stick length away from you. Just bend your inside knee and lay your stick on the puck and pull it in.

The key is to get the puck far enough away from you so that you can get your blade flat on the puck.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
McNasty

Using the toe of the stick isn't difficult either. But yea it does take a bit of practice, overdoing tape or wax won't help you unless your getting it to roll over and it's sliding off of your blade. Ideally your tilting the puck one way and quickly flipping it over.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
PMP5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Here is a drill that will help you pick it up while moving:

Skate with the puck out as far as possible to your side, then dip into a turn towards the puck. At this point the puck should be about a stick length away from you. Just bend your inside knee and lay your stick on the puck and pull it in.

The key is to get the puck far enough away from you so that you can get your blade flat on the puck.
Thanks. I've got some pick-up hockey later this afternoon so I'll give it a try before we start playing.

PMP5030 is offline   Reply With Quote