HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ovechkin makes me laugh

Old
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I met him in Washington thanks to the great Matt Bradley. He is a super great guy and the stuff he can do on the ice with his socks/flip flops/ duckies on is just great. Also he must be themost loved guy in the dressing room.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:20 AM
le_sean

I love Ovechkin because he doesn't say anything idiotic about anyone. He's not Avery who tries to bring people down by mouthing off, Ovechkin just has a great sense of humour and backs it up well.

I'm only wondering to what happens when he is 30 and loses that quick first step which allows him to drive to the net so well. He is a phenomenal athlete, don't get me wrong, but does he have that intelligence that can still make him effective if he slows down? I think that's what separates him with Crosby. Crosby can have two broken legs and he'd still get 4 assists a game because he relies on his smarts, whereas Ovechkin relies on his skill. I don't know, just pondering.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

they interviewed him after he missed the goal in breakaway tests at the all-star and it was pretty hilarous.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:02 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm only wondering to what happens when he is 30 and loses that quick first step which allows him to drive to the net so well. He is a phenomenal athlete, don't get me wrong, but does he have that intelligence that can still make him effective if he slows down? I think that's what separates him with Crosby. Crosby can have two broken legs and he'd still get 4 assists a game because he relies on his smarts, whereas Ovechkin relies on his skill. I don't know, just pondering.
maybe you're right, but that doesn't give a reason for anybody to hate him. Let's enjoy the 10 great years he's gonna give to the NHL and after that we'll see if he becomes less effective.

Of course he's not as intelligent as Crosby, but that doesn't mean he can't improve that aspect in the next 10 years. Many players adapted themselves when they started losing some of their talent...

the only bad thing about Ovie is that he plays for Washington and he's far from getting the exposure he deserves. At least in Pittsburgh, there are many people in the stands...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
J-D

Alain Crete: "Alex, what is your secret for skating so fast with the puck?"

Alex Ovechkin: "You work your legs to go to the net with puck. I work my legs."

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
I hate him.

Its not all about his english issue. He think he's better then everyone and the king of the league.
You've got him all wrong

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Stradale

Love the guy. He's very passionate. People may think hes cocky with his celebration after every goal he's score but when his teammate score a goal, he's very happy too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
I'll never forget my all time favourite OV moment. THe golf course incident.

"I swear Gaaad"

"Tiger where are you?"

The guy is just plain hilarious. How can anyone not like it.
I love Ovy.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
e-e

i wish every team in NHL had one AO. how can anybody hate this guy

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
I hate him.

Its not all about his english issue. He think he's better then everyone and the king of the league.
Ovechking!!!

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The business of hockey (esp. in America) desperately needs a character like Ovechkin. Would you rather have another boring, run-of-the-mill Jason Spezza esque interviewee who says all the right things and never steps on any toes?
I totally agree, I like Spezza as a player *except when he plays the HABS*, but if I see him being interviewed one more time on TV I'm going to pull an Elvis and shoot out the damn screen.

01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

How can anyone hate Ovy (apart from Colin White, maybe)?

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:44 PM
MissNY

I have a lot of respect for AO for a number of reasons.

Hockey ranks under women's basketball in the DC area. (Yes, it sucks living here.) The team also has no hope of getting far in the playoffs for a number of years. He doesn't sulk about it like Jagr did, but is a real team player on and off the ice. From all reports, he's great interacting with the fans and is willing to help the Capitals promote the sport in the area even though its an uphill battle. He's also made a lot of efforts to adapt to living in North America and being a good teammate. I believe he even refused the captaincy because he didn't believe he was experienced enough.

I don't think he's cocky. I think he just hasn't learned to give bland, canned responses to the media yet. It's great!

MissNY is offline   Reply With Quote