HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Stars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
  #1
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Young Stars

Really good game. Unbelievable depth. Young stars.

Players I now want really bad: Getzlaf, Weber, Staal, Carle, Seabrook, Parise, Kopitar

Players that underwhelmed: Smid (unfortunately), Radulov, Vanek


Weber and Getz flat-out impressed me.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
  #2
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Smid had 1 assist and was -3. Tied for the 2nd worst +/-.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
  #3
mackaveli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
i wish we had Lehtonen in net.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:07 PM
  #4
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Smid has alot more stickhandling acumen then he has shown in the regular season. When the game slows down for him he could become a dandy!

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
  #5
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 500
oh to have picked getzlaf instead of MAP in 2003!! .... one can dream

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
  #6
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,967
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Smid had 1 assist and was -3. Tied for the 2nd worst +/-.
Malkin was horrible as well...the game meant nothing

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
  #7
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,790
vCash: 500
How about Getlaf's release? Boy can he shoot. Hard to get a read on ability in this pseudo game of pond hockey but how would Shea Weber look in Oiler silks. Man is Nashville stacked in young, very skilled defensemen.

Looked like lots of empty seats in Big D.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
  #8
dhasek3910
Registered User
 
dhasek3910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
The game lacked a lot of emotion, nobody ever went full speed, there was a lot of cherry-picking. I didn't really enjoy it myself, even though I had been looking forward to it.

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
  #9
Gusher
Registered User
 
Gusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
The game lacked a lot of emotion, nobody ever went full speed, there was a lot of cherry-picking. I didn't really enjoy it myself, even though I had been looking forward to it.
Wasn't the best game I've seen but it's better than the old-timer games they used to have during All-Star weekend.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
  #10
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
I unfortunately wasted half an hour watching the first period. Yuck. I've seen more excitement at a local outdoor rink.

Do you need to watch a farse like this to appreciate skill? We all know that Malkin, Getzlaf and Kopitar are great players. Why watch them in a dog and pony show?

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
  #11
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Really good game. Unbelievable depth. Young stars.

Players I now want really bad: Getzlaf, Weber, Staal, Carle, Seabrook, Parise, Kopitar

Players that underwhelmed: Smid (unfortunately), Radulov, Vanek


Weber and Getz flat-out impressed me.
If you're basing wanting Seabrook really bad on the perfromance of that game, I'd wonder about you.

0 Points and -4.

I like Seabrook, but he didn't play well in that game.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
  #12
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
If you're basing wanting Seabrook really bad on the perfromance of that game, I'd wonder about you.

0 Points and -4.

I like Seabrook, but he didn't play well in that game.
Yeah, he didn't have a great game, but I saw something in him, and attribute at least two of those Minuses (-) to Smid. Also, remember it is a 4 on 4 game, that had 17 goals in 30 minutes, so ES stats aren't really what I'm basing my opinion on.

Edit: as for the 0 points, Smid would get into an offensive position and then do something really stupid with the puck. Hard to get things going that way.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:05 PM
  #13
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Yeah, he didn't have a great game, but I saw something in him, and attribute at least two of those Minuses (-) to Smid. Also, remember it is a 4 on 4 game, that had 17 goals in 30 minutes, so ES stats aren't really what I'm basing my opinion on.
I see lots of future in him as well. Just thought he played pretty poor in what was a pretty crappy game anyway.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:09 PM
  #14
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 1937
Anyone who's actually complaining about Smid's play in the YOUNG GUNS game needs to give their head a hard shake.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:13 PM
  #15
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Anyone who's actually complaining about Smid's play in the YOUNG GUNS game needs to give their head a hard shake.
Why? In a game where the offensive component of the game was being showcased, Smid looked out-classed. Hopefully his game comes around, but we need this guy to show more offensive prowess than Jason Smith.

The kid is very strong on the puck, but we need more dimensions than strong on the puck from this kid. He's 20, and there is time, but again he looked worse than many of his peers.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:15 PM
  #16
ClosetOilersFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I unfortunately wasted half an hour watching the first period. Yuck. I've seen more excitement at a local outdoor rink.

Do you need to watch a farse like this to appreciate skill? We all know that Malkin, Getzlaf and Kopitar are great players. Why watch them in a dog and pony show?
Weird. I was thinking the same thing. I was so unimpressed with the game - I've seen children skate harder than they were. Some of the finess was fun to watch, but other than that... I'm glad I only caught a period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Yeah, he didn't have a great game, but I saw something in him, and attribute at least two of those Minuses (-) to Smid. Also, remember it is a 4 on 4 game, that had 17 goals in 30 minutes, so ES stats aren't really what I'm basing my opinion on.

Edit: as for the 0 points, Smid would get into an offensive position and then do something really stupid with the puck. Hard to get things going that way.
I was quite surprised to hear people quoting +/- stats in a game like this one. A game where everyone was dogging it and showing off, no hitting, dmen were focusing on offense, etc. - +/- might be the most useless statistic on the night.

It would be unwise to formulate any opinions based on this game.

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:17 PM
  #17
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Why? In a game where the offensive component of the game was being showcased, Smid looked out-classed. Hopefully his game comes around, but we need this guy to show more offensive prowess than Jason Smith.

The kid is very strong on the puck, but we need more dimensions than strong on the puck from this kid. He's 20, and there is time, but again he looked worse than many of his peers.
Because it's a pick up game where no one tries? And it's for fun? And no one takes it seriously? And no one plays defense? It goes on and on why complaining about Smid during a 30 minute fun game is silly as heck.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:23 PM
  #18
goggog
Registered User
 
goggog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
IMO smid looked like one of the worst out there but it didn't look like anybody was trying AT ALL.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
  #19
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,797
vCash: 500
Please don't tell me you guys are picking apart Smid's defensive positioning in the NHL Young Stars game. Please, please, please don't tell me that.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
  #20
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Please don't tell me you guys are picking apart Smid's defensive positioning in the NHL Young Stars game. Please, please, please don't tell me that.
I will say this... you could clearly see the difference between the position of a guy like Weber vs Smid. Even at half speed, Weber was at least in the passing lanes and such.

It's one thing to play at half speed and cheat a bit here or there... but Smid wasn't anywhere close to forcing even a difficult pass on some of those goals.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
  #21
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
They should have the same number of players for the young stars as the regular all-star game. Have them play 60 minutes instead of 30. It would be different. The young stars game needs to be a full 60 minutes.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
  #22
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
They should have the same number of players for the young stars as the regular all-star game. Have them play 60 minutes instead of 30. It would be different. The young stars game needs to be a full 60 minutes.
Agreed, and 5 on 5 for goodness sake. The game tonight was fun and all, but it should be an actual hockey game.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
  #23
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I will say this... you could clearly see the difference between the position of a guy like Weber vs Smid. Even at half speed, Weber was at least in the passing lanes and such.

It's one thing to play at half speed and cheat a bit here or there... but Smid wasn't anywhere close to forcing even a difficult pass on some of those goals.
I definitely agree but Weber is a very special young player and I'd argue he's close to being on the same level as Phaneuf. I've seen some extremely shaky positioning from Smid at times this year but I have also seen a few examples of great positioning and very smart stick-work. I didn't think he looked particularly great tonight (nor did I expect him to) but he did show off some decent stickhandling and good skating ability as well. He'll never be a big "jump into the offence" defenceman but I think he has a decent skill-set to work from offensively.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
  #24
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I definitely agree but Weber is a very special young player and I'd argue he's close to being on the same level as Phaneuf. I've seen some extremely shaky positioning from Smid at times this year but I have also seen a few examples of great positioning and very smart stick-work. I didn't think he looked particularly great tonight (nor did I expect him to) but he did show off some decent stickhandling and good skating ability as well. He'll never be a big "jump into the offence" defenceman but I think he has a decent skill-set to work from offensively.
Isn't that what Smid is supposed to be?

One thing I noticed that did make me cringe was just how lost he seemed at times. There really isn't any other way to put it... you watch a player like Weber and he was still taking passing lanes away and could read the play, half-assed or not. Smid couldn't.

I'm also leery of how a guy who has 4 goals in his last 2 1/2 seasons will ever produce offensively in this league, baring a Sheldon Souray bionic wrist.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:33 AM
  #25
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
i wish we had Lehtonen in net.
Of all the things we need, goaltending is the least of our worries.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.