HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Stars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2007, 01:37 AM
  #26
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Of all the things we need, goaltending is the least of our worries.
Well, Lehtonen would give us stability for a decade opposed to this year and next year, which is what Roloson gives us.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:40 AM
  #27
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Isn't that what Smid is supposed to be?

One thing I noticed that did make me cringe was just how lost he seemed at times. There really isn't any other way to put it... you watch a player like Weber and he was still taking passing lanes away and could read the play, half-assed or not. Smid couldn't.

I'm also leery of how a guy who has 4 goals in his last 2 1/2 seasons will ever produce offensively in this league, baring a Sheldon Souray bionic wrist.
I see Smid as a good young player, not a "special" young player. The bottom line for me is that this is only his second year in North America - the kid has some major wrinkles for sure but I like his game considering just how fresh he really is.

I think one of the big reasons why Smid was looking a little more lost than usual tonight was because of the structure of the game. He started out the game staying back in the defensive zone but he gradually started jumping up and essentially playing forward like almost every other defenceman and that's just not his game.

I don't think he'll ever be a big offensive guy but I'm still confident he can be a 30 - 40 points a season type of defenceman. He certainly doesn't have the skillset to be a marquee offensive guy but he moves the puck very well at times and I have a feeling his skating ability will lead to a lot of second assists in the future.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:41 AM
  #28
philthy mcnasty*
 
philthy mcnasty*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Storm
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Smid can dangle, is a great skater and looked like a solid passer.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:02 AM
  #29
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
wow it's really kinda pathetic that people wanna rip on Smid in a game that he clearly wasn't trying in. I mean he never even bothered even skating half assed when guys were going in against him.

So he didn't play well in a game he didn't try in, big ****in deal, he's still a good young player.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:07 AM
  #30
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Hard to put any stock in a glorified scrimmage. A few players shone in this shinny game but no biggie with nothing on the line. I'd like the see the league or a sponsor put some big bucks on the line to give a real incentive for playing.

Regarding Smid, I see a future Eric Brewer in the making. A solid defensive d-man with pretty marginal offensive tools. I kinda think he will top out at 20-30 points ... but who knows, Smid is such a young kid. (This is not a criticism).

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:08 AM
  #31
gr8haluschak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Regarding Smid, I see a future Eric Brewer in the making. A solid defensive d-man with pretty marginal offensive tools. I kinda think he will top out at 20-30 points ... but who knows, Smid is such a young kid. (This is not a criticism).
would he not be the anti brewer then because brewer is terrible at defense but contributed offensively

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:19 AM
  #32
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
would he not be the anti brewer then because brewer is terrible at defense but contributed offensively
I actually think Brewer is a better defensive d-man than offensive. I feel Brew would have been better served (as an Oiler) focusing on defense rather than being positioned as a pp d-man. He has decent all round skills and size but I never felt that he had/has good hockey sense. Brew got into trouble imo when extended too far trying to be all facet defenseman.

I think Smid will develop into a solid d-man. Just not sure his offensive game will develop.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:36 AM
  #33
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I actually think Brewer is a better defensive d-man than offensive. I feel Brew would have been better served (as an Oiler) focusing on defense rather than being positioned as a pp d-man. He has decent all round skills and size but I never felt that he had/has good hockey sense. Brew got into trouble imo when extended too far trying to be all facet defenseman.

I think Smid will develop into a solid d-man. Just not sure his offensive game will develop.
I also thought Brewer would have been a far more effective defenceman if he (and the coaching staff for that matter) focused more on his defensive game. He's an excellent skater for a big man and I still feel that he closes the gap on a 1on1 better than most defencemen in the NHL. Much of the reason why people constantly criticized his game is because he didn't produce offensively - the funny thing is that I'm not really sure why people ever expected him to. Braydon Coburn is a fairly similar prospect, people keep expecting him to show some offensive potential but (like Brewer) the guy didn't even really produce all that much offensively in the WHL.

I'd still love to see Brewer back in Edmonton but I'm not even certain if St. Louis will move him anymore. Take a look at the minutes he is currently playing for them, he has played 25, 26 and 27 over the past three games for the red hot Blues.

It sounds like you and I have a fairly similar projection of Smid, I simply feel he'll top out at 30-40 points while you see him more as a 20-30 point guy.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:47 AM
  #34
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I also thought Brewer would have been a far more effective defenceman if he (and the coaching staff for that matter) focused more on his defensive game. He's an excellent skater for a big man and I still feel that he closes the gap on a 1on1 better than most defencemen in the NHL. Much of the reason why people constantly criticized his game is because he didn't produce offensively - the funny thing is that I'm not really sure why people ever expected him to. Braydon Coburn is a fairly similar prospect, people keep expecting him to show some offensive potential but (like Brewer) the guy didn't even really produce all that much offensively in the WHL.

I'd still love to see Brewer back in Edmonton but I'm not even certain if St. Louis will move him anymore. Take a look at the minutes he is currently playing for them, he has played 25, 26 and 27 over the past three games for the red hot Blues.

It sounds like you and I have a fairly similar projection of Smid, I simply feel he'll top out at 30-40 points while you see him more as a 20-30 point guy.
Ya, agreed. I think with Brewer and Coburn they are both very good skaters as big men. With that ability and hints at finesse component to a big man body, it can lull one into a hopeful projection of a full tool elite dman. That is a very rare and precious commodity. Brew will be a solid d-man when freed from that expectation. Coburn possibly too.

Nothing wrong with strong d-men who can look after homebase against the opposition's best while also being able to make solid clearing passes ... but not necessarily quarterbacking a pp. Brew can be that shut down guy - but I think the team he plays for has to drop the aspirations that he can direct the pp. Adding a bit of snarl would also help his game. I had Brewer and Regehr as pretty much equals a couple of years back. But I think Regehr has developed further and I think his physical play has been a key factor in that.

Smid, I'll stick to a 20-30 point projection for now. But will relook at this in two years when we'll see a guy with his NHL legs under him. As with Brew, I'd like to see abit more meanness in Smid's game. Perhaps that will come with time.

Very tough to learn on the job at 20.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:49 AM
  #35
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Smid has alot more stickhandling acumen then he has shown in the regular season. When the game slows down for him he could become a dandy!
Watch pre-game warmup at any game. I always watch Smid - he has significant dangles. He uses a very short stick, by the looks of it, and he has great puckhandling skills. Once he fills out and grow s the confidence to use those skills in game - you are right watch out. Everyone, next time you are at the game, watch Smid just after the boys score that one goal on Jussi (you'll know what I mean they always have to score on one passing play goals about 4 or 5 on 0) following this, Smid just gets a puck and handles it - impressive talent.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:01 AM
  #36
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Brew can be that shut down guy - but I think the team he plays for has to drop the aspirations that he can direct the pp.
It seems like St. Louis is finally figuring that out as he is now only playing 2.60 powerplay minutes a night which is third amongst St. Louis defencemen. I still think that's too many PP minutes for him though - he's currently floating along at 1.44 PP points/hour which is absolutely terrible. He's playing a lot of even strength minutes for them though which is where I feel he can be a very effective defenceman.

I'm really starting to wish Lowe made a move for Brewer earlier in the season, the price might have been a little hefty but I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues would have been willing to move him. Alas, now he looks like he could stay with the team long-term (at least assuming he's interested in staying there, it sounds like St. Louis wants him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Smid, I'll stick to a 20-30 point projection for now. But will relook at this in two years when we'll see a guy with his NHL legs under him. As with Brew, I'd like to see abit more meanness in Smid's game. Perhaps that will come with time.

Very tough to learn on the job at 20.
It's definitely really tough to project Smid's offensive ability at this point in time. I see signs of a guy who can move the puck very effectively and he also displays a few shifty moves every now and then but he definitely looks very raw at times as well. Truth be told, spending some time in Wilkes-Barre working on the powerplay could end up being great for Smid's development and that could make some sense if Lowe manages to acquire an upgrade for the backend.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:38 AM
  #37
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,846
vCash: 500
Remember Semenov at the young stars game? He was the ONLY guy remotely trying to play defense, while everyone else was playing shinny. He looked like the only dman who had a clue about blocking a passing lane.

Where is he now, again?

I watched the first half of today's game, and changed the channel out of sheer boredom. It was beyond pathetic.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:03 AM
  #38
jcoldwell
Registered User
 
jcoldwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
The players that really caught my are

Anze Kopitar (should win the Calder)
Zach Parise
Phil Kessel
Alex Steen
Mike Green

Smid, I liked as well, but I say he was a tier behind Weber, Meszaros, Whitney and Ranger.

IF the Oilers want to make a trade for a future puck moving dman try and pry Mike Green out of Washington.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:33 AM
  #39
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoldwell View Post
The players that really caught my are

Anze Kopitar (should win the Calder)
Zach Parise
Phil Kessel
Alex Steen
Mike Green

Smid, I liked as well, but I say he was a tier behind Weber, Meszaros, Whitney and Ranger.

IF the Oilers want to make a trade for a future puck moving dman try and pry Mike Green out of Washington.
In reality Kopitar isn't in Malkin's league. I see Kopitar as a budding star along the lines of Mats Sundin. Malkin could go down as one of the best twenty or so forwards to ever play the game.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:37 AM
  #40
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
*laugh* this was an amusing thread.

Smid clearly wasn't paying any attention to D, and was enjoying getting up in the rush a little bit. Something he hasn't even come close to trying during Oiler games.

It's clear the boy doesn't have much finish, but he's not a sniper.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
  #41
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,915
vCash: 500
Well it was nice to have Smid for a while anyways, oh well.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
  #42
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
It's definitely really tough to project Smid's offensive ability at this point in time. I see signs of a guy who can move the puck very effectively and he also displays a few shifty moves every now and then but he definitely looks very raw at times as well. Truth be told, spending some time in Wilkes-Barre working on the powerplay could end up being great for Smid's development and that could make some sense if Lowe manages to acquire an upgrade for the backend.
Has anyone actually seen this kid shoot yet?

With the puck, he looks like an incredible player from his face-off dot to the other teams blueline... from then in, he really doesn't make anything happen offensively. I have never seen him one time the puck, and I've never seen him walk the blueline with the wrister cocked (minds out of the gutter folks).

When the game finally slows down for him, he's going to make a great breakout defenceman... I just don't see where the offence is going to come from.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:57 AM
  #43
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
In reality Kopitar isn't in Malkin's league. I see Kopitar as a budding star along the lines of Mats Sundin. Malkin could go down as one of the best twenty or so forwards to ever play the game.
I disagree Kopitar not being in Malkin's league. He has 42 points this year vs 52 for Malkin (Malkin has played 8 less games), but Kopitar is a calendar year younger and is much more well rounded in his game. He penalty kills, actually without McCauley he is their best penalty killer. In fact in an Oilers/Kings broadcast they did a segment on how Kopitar is the forward they send out if ever short 5 on 3. Malkin also has the luxury of playing on the PP with guys like Gonchar, Crosby, Recchi,Staal, Whitney, etc. I agree Malkin is a better player - he is even better than I thought after watching a couple games. But I think people will be suprised by Kopitar moving forward. He is the real deal and he is doing so @ 18 without any help in LA.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:07 AM
  #44
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
I disagree Kopitar not being in Malkin's league. He has 42 points this year vs 52 for Malkin (Malkin has played 8 less games), but Kopitar is a calendar year younger and is much more well rounded in his game. He penalty kills, actually without McCauley he is their best penalty killer. In fact in an Oilers/Kings broadcast they did a segment on how Kopitar is the forward they send out if ever short 5 on 3. Malkin also has the luxury of playing on the PP with guys like Gonchar, Crosby, Recchi,Staal, Whitney, etc. I agree Malkin is a better player - he is even better than I thought after watching a couple games. But I think people will be suprised by Kopitar moving forward. He is the real deal and he is doing so @ 18 without any help in LA.
While I agree about the pk, I don't about the PP. Kopitar gets to go out on the PP with guys like Frolov, Visnovski, Blake and Cammalleri... those guys are not slouches by any means when it comes to the PP.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
  #45
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Smid had 1 assist and was -3. Tied for the 2nd worst +/-.
lol it took a whole 2 posts for this to come up! He was one of 8 young NHL D picked for this game. That to me means a hell of a lot more than a -3 in a young stars game. How many goals did Lethonen let in? I guess he's no good either?

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
  #46
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Some important questions need to be asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
lol it took a whole 2 posts for this to come up! He was one of 8 young NHL D picked for this game. That to me means a hell of a lot more than a -3 in a young stars game.
How many defencemen were eligible to play in this game?

Can you come up with a list longer than 12 or so names?

Quote:
How many goals did Lethonen let in? I guess he's no good either?
How many of the goals did he have much of a chance on?

How many very good saves did he make?

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
  #47
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
While I agree about the pk, I don't about the PP. Kopitar gets to go out on the PP with guys like Frolov, Visnovski, Blake and Cammalleri... those guys are not slouches by any means when it comes to the PP.
Not in the league of Crosby, Whitney, Gonchar, Recchi - not even close.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
  #48
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Some important questions need to be asked.



How many defencemen were eligible to play in this game?

Can you come up with a list longer than 12 or so names?



How many of the goals did he have much of a chance on?

How many very good saves did he make?
Hmmmmm... well first of all, I was making a tounge-in-cheek comment about Lethonen... he is obviously the cream of the young goaltending crop. As for Smid, I am so utterly dissappointed in your attitude towards the kid db. Lost alot of respect for your posts because of it too. You seem to be on a mission to rip the kid any chance you get. I think you are making a HUGE mistake in your assessment of Smid, and it seems that you throw all logic to the wind in order to make your point that he is anything but a young stud in the making. It's not Ladislav Smids fault that he's playing for a team so devoid of depth that he's forced into playing a top 4 role as a rookie, and has to PK too. He is being put in a position to fail, not succeed. I mean for cripes sakes he's playing with Matt Greene right now! Neither one of these guys should be playing with a rookie! And his regular partner is Steve Staios? C'mon... the guy is a solid bottom pair PK D, who has a tonne of heart, but hardly a mentor for a young star.

Ladislav Smid is the real deal. Mark my words. He may never be a Pronger or Neidermayer in terms of point output but this guy is going to be a top 2 way defenceman in this league. I just hope crazy Oiler fans don't run him out of town before he gets a chance to prove it!

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
  #49
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
I don't understand this need to defend Smid. No one is sayign he won't be a good defenceman. The problem is many of us were hoping for a great defenceman, and I don't see that in Smid.

I would have rather had almost any other defender out there last night over Smid. Which is a little disappointing.

It's not a reason to write the kid off, and it's not to say that he doesn't have some incredible talent. I just don't see the offensive tools to make me giddy about the guy.


Last edited by 21Gator*: 01-24-2007 at 11:47 AM.
21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:41 AM
  #50
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Some important questions need to be asked.



How many defencemen were eligible to play in this game?

Can you come up with a list longer than 12 or so names?

Carle, Weber, Smid, Ranger, Meszaros, Seabrook, Whitney, Green ...

Greene, Suter, Ballard, Michalek, Keith, Tyutin, White, Vlasic, O'Brien and Tukkonen

Just to name a few, I'm not saying Smid is better then all of these guys, but give the kid some credit, he was selected to play in a game that featured some of the league's elite young players. He didn't look out of place.


Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 01-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.