HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great Marketing Strategy for the Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
  #1
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Great Marketing Strategy for the Habs

The Team 1260 radio station (Bob Staufer) in Edmonton is pissed at Ottawa and Montreal. I guess they did a flip flop in voting and voted against the pre-lockout schedule. The Edmonton Oilers and the rest of the 3 western teams want the Habs and Leafs to come out west. This is not a good PR move for the Habs. Even Toronto voted in favor of this.
Why in hell would Montreal vote against their team coming out to Western Canada?
They have thousands of fans out here.
They would sell tons of merchandise out here.
They owe to the western Hab fans.

Somebody explain this to me, because I am mad as hell if this true. Us Hab fans should expect the Habs to want to come to play in front of their Cross Canada fans. Does Gillett not get this, is Boivin a total idiot.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
  #2
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I think it was because they didnt want to travel as much, and mainly because they like the rivalaries out here. One of the commentators said that Montreal finds they play better with rivals.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
  #3
DieHardHabs
Registered User
 
DieHardHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Biovin said he wanted to fnish the cycle that next yr would be the last yr they would continue to do this schedule format...why not finish it ..and take another yr to really think about something good! ? i dont think its a big deal .. it sucks their will be no hockey day in canada.. but they will get it all figured out eventually

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
  #4
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,293
vCash: 500
Boivin did say that they voted to stay the same at least for next year. I'm pissed off as well, but again, I believe they'll change their mind come next year.

It was also said that Leafs voting to change it has only to do with the fact that they want to sell their TV coverage more out west so for that they would need the Leafs to go there more often.

But by the sound of it, most of the West voted to change it, most of the East voted to remain the same....at least for this year, they'll reevaluate and I really believe, by the sound of it, even from Boivin, that there will be some changes the year after.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:57 PM
  #5
km2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
The current schedule format is very good for the Habs - minimal travel, short road trips, etc.

Carbonneau said the Habs couldn't have it any better in terms of schedules and traveling. Why would they want to change that? To please a handful of fans in Edmonton?

km2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
  #6
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by km2 View Post
The current schedule format is very good for the Habs - minimal travel, short road trips, etc.

Carbonneau said the Habs couldn't have it any better in terms of schedules and traveling. Why would they want to change that? To please a handful of fans in Edmonton?
To please a handful of fans in Edmonton. Try 5 - 10 thousand fans in Rexall, Saddledown, and GM place. Yes a handful .
It's called marketing. Montreal has a vast fan base in and outside Quebec. I hope to hell they realize it too. Carbo for one remembers the great times on those western swings where him and Corson would have so much fun after the games.
Boivin should understand fans make the team the PROFIT!


Last edited by montreal: 01-23-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: offensive remark, next time it's points
Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:40 PM
  #7
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
To please a handful of fans in Edmonton. Try 5 - 10 thousand fans in Rexall, Saddledown, and GM place. Yes a handful .
It's called marketing. Montreal has a vast fan base in and outside Quebec. I hope to hell they realize it too. Carbo for one remembers the great times on those western swings where him and Corson would have so much fun after the games.
Boivin should understand fans make the team the PROFIT!
Hey Jyroe, do you know of any place where all the Canadiens' fans hang out in Edmonton? I would love to watch a game somewhere in Edmonton where I am surrounded by Canadiens fans. I know there are tons of Canadiens' fans in the little Italy area, and there must be some around Faculte St. Jean. But somebody should organize a Canadiens party or something, so we can truly find out how many people we have here.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
  #8
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
To please a handful of fans in Edmonton. Try 5 - 10 thousand fans in Rexall, Saddledown, and GM place. Yes a handful .
It's called marketing. Montreal has a vast fan base in and outside Quebec. I hope to hell they realize it too. Carbo for one remembers the great times on those western swings where him and Corson would have so much fun after the games.
Boivin should understand fans make the team the PROFIT!
Try this for marketing: people like to watch a winning team and the schedule helps the habs win.

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
  #9
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
To please a handful of fans in Edmonton. Try 5 - 10 thousand fans in Rexall, Saddledown, and GM place. Yes a handful .
It's called marketing. Montreal has a vast fan base in and outside Quebec. I hope to hell they realize it too. Carbo for one remembers the great times on those western swings where him and Corson would have so much fun after the games.
Boivin should understand fans make the team the PROFIT!
I can attest. The Canadiens have thousands of fans in this region, and the Oilers-Canadiens ticket is one of the toughest to get a hold of. I still remember the last time the Canadiens were here, an entire section started singing the national anthem in French (It was December 2005). There was a game during the 2001-02 season in which there were so many Canadiens fans that the PA announcer at the start of the 3rd period had to say, "THE Edmonton Oilers" when the Oilers came onto the ice, instead of "YOUR Edmonton Oilers."

Trust me, the Canadiens have a vibrant base here in Western Canada, and the Canadiens brass realize this (especially after the Heritage Classic was held here 3 years ago). I am surprised that they didn't vote in favour of the new schedule with this considered.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:47 PM
  #10
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Try this for marketing: people like to watch a winning team and the schedule helps the habs win.
I don't buy that argument anymore. If thats true, then all the Western teams would have been in arms with the current schedule when it was first introduced, especially considering when they go on road trips, they go two weeks at a time. If it were such a big deal, teams in the West would be absolutely outraged that teams in the New York metro area hardly travel. If it were such a big deal, how could owner's of Western teams accept such terms which clearly and heavily favoured the Eastern teams. The fact is, while it is an inconvenience, it isn't make or break. I think that's especially true in an era where all teams have their own airline.

The other day, some reporter asked Joe Sakic about a new schedule, and he said that he would prefer it. When asked about the new travel arrangements, he said something like, "So what, you go on a plane and fly an extra hour.. It's not a big deal." If Sakic says this, I think that the "younger" NHL would definitely have no qualms about flying more.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:48 PM
  #11
Penalty Killer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I can attest. The Canadiens have thousands of fans in this region, and the Oilers-Canadiens ticket is one of the toughest to get a hold of. I still remember the last time the Canadiens were here, an entire section started singing the national anthem in French (It was December 2005). There was a game during the 2001-02 season in which there were so many Canadiens fans that the PA announcer at the start of the 3rd period had to say, "THE Edmonton Oilers" when the Oilers came onto the ice, instead of "YOUR Edmonton Oilers."

Trust me, the Canadiens have a vibrant base here in Western Canada, and the Canadiens brass realize this (especially after the Heritage Classic was held here 3 years ago). I am surprised that they didn't vote in favour of the new schedule with this considered.
The fact of the matter is, the schedule favors them, and it's not like us fans are going to stop being fans just because they aren't coming out here.

Of course the West teams want MTL and TOR out here, they have lots of fans out here. Not so much the other way around, though, right? Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver aren't Original Six teams with decades of history and don't have nearly as strong followings out east.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
  #12
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
The fact of the matter is, the schedule favors them, and it's not like us fans are going to stop being fans just because they aren't coming out here.

Of course the West teams want MTL and TOR out here, they have lots of fans out here. Not so much the other way around, though, right? Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver aren't Original Six teams with decades of history and don't have nearly as strong followings out east.
Another thing is, does the schedule necessarily favour us? Off hand, I'm not sure about our divisional record. However, regardless, our division is one of the toughest in hockey, and I would like to see more games against Columbus, St. Louis and Chicago (1 extra, if a new schedule were adopted) to give us maximal results.

I think in the end, the argument that you get an easier schedule based on travel balances itself out. If you play every team in the league, and play in a strong division, travel doesn't hurt you as much as playing those same divisional teams 8 times a year.

That's part of the reason Edmonton wants out of this present scheme, IMO. They have to play Vancouver, Minnesota, Colorado and Calgary 8 times a year, and there really isn't that much differentiating those teams, and all 5 could conceivably be in the playoffs and fare well. Because the final 8 playoff teams are determined regardless of which division you play in (ie: at the end of the year, its whoever has the most points in the conference), playing in a tougher division is to your detriment.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:07 AM
  #13
YOUTH OF HABS
Registered User
 
YOUTH OF HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: OTTAWHAT
Country: Canada
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
...

while i agree they should stay the course for next year, i really think this schedule stinks and think they should come up with something better. the schedule is very much one sided to the east.

i really wanna see the habs take on the canucks, flames and oilers at least twice a year.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:15 AM
  #14
Penalty Killer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
That's part of the reason Edmonton wants out of this present scheme, IMO. They have to play Vancouver, Minnesota, Colorado and Calgary 8 times a year, and there really isn't that much differentiating those teams, and all 5 could conceivably be in the playoffs and fare well. Because the final 8 playoff teams are determined regardless of which division you play in (ie: at the end of the year, its whoever has the most points in the conference), playing in a tougher division is to your detriment.
I don't think you give enough credit to lack of travel. It's a big reason why both Calgary and Edmonton couldn't finish off their Eastern counterparts in the last two finals. Spending more time at home and less on a plane for 8 months of the year is both easier on players physically and psychologically. And for every Columbus and Chicago, there's an Anaheim and Nashville.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:22 AM
  #15
piffsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Germany
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
That's pity, so i can see the Habs only every 3 years in the Saddeldome

piffsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:29 AM
  #16
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
I don't think you give enough credit to lack of travel. It's a big reason why both Calgary and Edmonton couldn't finish off their Eastern counterparts in the last two finals. Spending more time at home and less on a plane for 8 months of the year is both easier on players physically and psychologically. And for every Columbus and Chicago, there's an Anaheim and Nashville.
Well I find that argument to somewhat rob Carolina and Tampa of what they accomplished, attributing their wins to the fact that they play on the East coast rather than them actually winning outright. I watched both of those game 7s, and I don't think travel over the long haul had anything to do with it. Both games could have gone either way, with one lucky bounce (ie: Khabibulin stopping Iginla in the closing minutes, or Ward robbing Pisani in the third period). In fact, Kevin Lowe once mentioned that travel is actually beneficial, because during playoff time when you are constantly flying, you are used to it. In Brodeur's book, he mentions that flying back and forth between Anaheim and New Jersey during the 2003 final was something they weren't used to (and that's why they didn't win a game in Anaheim during that series).

If travel is as big of a factor as you claim, what kind of league is the NHL when it completely favours teams based on geography? Why would anybody in the West agree to play under those conditions when the last two champions won, because they travelled less?

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:42 AM
  #17
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Why won't those lazy Western teams come out East then? heinh?

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:50 AM
  #18
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I believe it is a smart hockey move but no so great of a business move. But should the Habs win the cup next year it is genius both way’s.
I would be pissed off if I were a western Habs fan but as long as I could get RDS I would be pretty happy.

As for playoff preparation I believe that less travel throughout the season would be beneficial because it is not a guarantee that the West winner will be from California, the could very well be from Minnesota, Detroit or some other team closer to Montreal.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:10 AM
  #19
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,489
vCash: 500
I was mad about the Habs management too. Hopefully things will change down the line.

Boivin said that new schedule was created to help creat rivlaties. Well it's funny because ever since it was done, matchs against the Sens, Leafs and Bruins have been pretty lifeless. Especially this year. Rivalries are created in the playoffs. That's the bottom line.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:22 AM
  #20
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,137
vCash: 500
They didnt agree on the proposed changes and chose to go through with the 3rd year of the rotating schedule.

I think both montreal and ottawa wanted 7 inter division game...not 6. But I'm not sure if I'm not confusing with an other team.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
  #21
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor
 
La Grosse Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rouyn-Noranda
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
I'd rather see the Habs play Toronto and Boston than Calgary and Edmonton. And I'm pretty sure most fans agree, just ask scalpers.

La Grosse Tendresse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:59 AM
  #22
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
What they said on TSN is that both Ottawa and Montreal liked the idea of playing the Western Canadian teams every year, but they wanted ir to be at the expense of the other conference games, NOT the divisional games. On TSN they said both Ottawa and Montreal wanted to keep the divisional games at 8 because they have such good rivalries with divisional opponents ( Ottawa - Toronto - Boston - Buffalo)

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
  #23
ngc_5128
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Well I find that argument to somewhat rob Carolina and Tampa of what they accomplished, attributing their wins to the fact that they play on the East coast rather than them actually winning outright. I watched both of those game 7s, and I don't think travel over the long haul had anything to do with it. Both games could have gone either way, with one lucky bounce (ie: Khabibulin stopping Iginla in the closing minutes, or Ward robbing Pisani in the third period). In fact, Kevin Lowe once mentioned that travel is actually beneficial, because during playoff time when you are constantly flying, you are used to it. In Brodeur's book, he mentions that flying back and forth between Anaheim and New Jersey during the 2003 final was something they weren't used to (and that's why they didn't win a game in Anaheim during that series).

If travel is as big of a factor as you claim, what kind of league is the NHL when it completely favours teams based on geography? Why would anybody in the West agree to play under those conditions when the last two champions won, because they travelled less?
If Montreal were to win the cup, I will bet that the most used excuse that oppopsing teams fans will use will be that Montreal had the easiest schedule out of every team, and it will be true. The furthest west Montreal went this year was Chicago, and our longest road trip was 4 games. No matter what he says to the media, that had to be first and foremost in Boivin's mind.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:07 AM
  #24
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Hey Jyroe, do you know of any place where all the Canadiens' fans hang out in Edmonton? I would love to watch a game somewhere in Edmonton where I am surrounded by Canadiens fans. I know there are tons of Canadiens' fans in the little Italy area, and there must be some around Faculte St. Jean. But somebody should organize a Canadiens party or something, so we can truly find out how many people we have here.
No, but if we make the playoffs we should meet and a local sports bar. With this management decision we are in the crap books here in Western Canada. Way to go Boivin, I bet he has never been out west.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:08 PM
  #25
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go
 
cjbhab*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
personally, I don't give a damn if the habs come out west or not, Its not like I can't go to the Bell Centre and watch them.

Although it would be nice to see them a couple more times a year in edmonton and calgary.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.