HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RUMOR: Satan on the block

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2003, 09:46 AM
  #1
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
RUMOR: Satan on the block

If this has already been posted, I'm sorry, but it isn't on the first page of these forums, so I assume it's fine for me to post this.

Spectors is reporting that the Sabres are unhappy with Miroslav Satan's lack of leadership and poor play. I know he's their best player, but he has only 7 goals and 11 points in 25 games - not nearly enough for a player paid $4.75 million. The Sabres could probably get a lot for him considering that he's a pretty good player.

Don't believe me? Here's the link

What teams would be involved in serious bidding and what would they give up for him?

 
Old
12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
  #2
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
it would depend on what the sabres want in return

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:51 AM
  #3
stanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,588
vCash: 500
Whatever happens during this discussion, please keep one foot firmly planted on the expiring bargaining agreement. Sometimes finances are considered too much in rumors around here; sometimes not at all. I think it's an elephant worth acknowledging.

Discuss away!

stanley is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:52 AM
  #4
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
I'll just throw in one name:

Jarome Iginla

Safir* is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:57 AM
  #5
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
Darcy Tucker

sorry couldnt resist it

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:00 AM
  #6
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
Darcy Tucker

sorry couldnt resist it
I'd love to see the feuds between him and Ruff over Tucker's stupid penalties and what not...


 
Old
12-02-2003, 10:00 AM
  #7
PuckU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Buffalo love Millbury. How about Ninnama and a 2nd.

PuckU is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:01 AM
  #8
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1052586.asp

Miroslav Satan woke up with two goals against the lowly Capitals last week to break a nine-game scoring slump, but don't buy his post-game assessment that he played the same way he did during the drought.

For starters, Satan scored his first goal by going to the net, where the puck has been known to pop free every now and again for the past 80 years. He wasn't getting there often enough the previous two-plus weeks for garbage tallies, which is why he went nine games without a point and 11 games without a goal.

Satan claimed before the season he was comfortable with taking on a larger role based on his two-year, $10 million contract. The Sabres expected much better leadership from Satan, who was sulking after coach Lindy Ruff ripped him. Chris Drury is the leader on this team and should retain the captaincy he took over from Satan.

Presumably, General Manager Darcy Regier is ahead of the game and approaching Satan, 29, as an unrestricted free agent. Next season could be wiped out. The minimum age for unrestricted free agency, now 31, likely will be lowered in the next CBA.

At some point, Satan should make for great trade bait.


This is an early attempt at Bucky to try and guess that Satan might be moved.

Personally, I'm not buying that Regier is thinking that way right now. Ownership has tasked him with getting this team into the playoffs this season. They have already traded away differing pieces of the teams future (The Sabres best blueline prospect, Keith Ballard, and an '04 3rd round pick) to add two players to help this season (Drury and Delmore).

Unless the Sabres can improve the team for this year by moving Satan (and that would be hard since it looks like ownership won't OK adding much, if any, to this year's payroll of around $33 million), then I don't see Satan going anywhere.

Unless, we are at the trade deadline and the Sabres look to have little or no shot at the playoffs.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:03 AM
  #9
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
I'll just throw in one name:

Jarome Iginla
Sabres ownership isn't looking to add payroll at this time. They had to be convinced to up the budget from $30 million to $33 million just to get Satan and Drury signed.

Plus, I can't see the Sabres tendering Iginla at $7.5 million this summer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:06 AM
  #10
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckU
Buffalo love Millbury. How about Ninnama and a 2nd.
I thought Milbury had to cut payroll, and not add it?

Aucoin is the Isles defenseman that would get Regier's attention in Satan talks. The Sabres could use a RH dman to go with Zhitnik and Aucoin would be a perfect fit.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:07 AM
  #11
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987
 
Jeff Shafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
To FLA: Satan and $3 million bucks

To Buff: Viktor Kozlov, Marcus Nilson and 2 2nd round picks?

Jeff Shafer is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
  #12
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I thought Milbury had to cut payroll, and not add it?

Aucoin is the Isles defenseman that would get Regier's attention in Satan talks. The Sabres could use a RH dman to go with Zhitnik and Aucoin would be a perfect fit.

Aucoin is probably the least likely Isles dman to get dealt right now because he has basically been the best player on the team this season. Also, there is little possibility that the Isles would be willing to add Satan's contract. It is just a question of $ here. Even if the deal had the Sabres taking on salary in return, the Isles would be unlikely to want to add another player who is making 4 million+.

You won't get much for Satan if he is dealt, because of his contract and the impending CBA. He is also perfectly capable of scoring 30 goals again, and he is a decent defensive player. For those reasons, I think the Sabres ought to try and hold onto him.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:22 AM
  #13
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaf
To FLA: Satan and $3 million bucks

To Buff: Viktor Kozlov, Marcus Nilson and 2 2nd round picks?
I highly doubt the Sabres would be eating any of Satan's contract. Especially in a deal like that one.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:25 AM
  #14
Kritty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
I'll just throw in one name:

Jarome Iginla
Buffalo won't land Iginla for Satan, at least I would be VERY surprised if they did. I really don't think the Flames are looking to deal him. If they right offer comes along, I'm sure Sutter would look at it but for the time being I think Iginla stays unless someone anties up.

Kritty is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:28 AM
  #15
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Aucoin is probably the least likely Isles dman to get dealt right now because he has basically been the best player on the team this season.
I figured as much. But, Aucoin is also a guy that should be treated as an impending UFA with his age and pending Group II status next summer.

He'll certainly be an UFA in the post-CBA NHL.

Quote:
Also, there is little possibility that the Isles would be willing to add Satan's contract. It is just a question of $ here. Even if the deal had the Sabres taking on salary in return, the Isles would be unlikely to want to add another player who is making 4 million+.
That why I was suprised at the thought of the Isles taking Satan on.

The only way I see that working is if Peca or Yashin is headed back Buffalo's way. And I know Yashin isn't leaving the Island and I doubt Peca is headed back to Buffalo.

Quote:
You won't get much for Satan if he is dealt, because of his contract and the impending CBA.
I think it depends on whom the Sabres deal with. I could see Satan getting a Mathieu Schneider-esque return at the deadline if a big spending team were to come calling.

Quote:
He is also perfectly capable of scoring 30 goals again, and he is a decent defensive player. For those reasons, I think the Sabres ought to try and hold onto him.
Add in the "make the playoffs this year" goal set by ownership and that's why I doubt Satan is going anywhere.

There are only two scenarios where I could see Satan getting traded away:

1) The Sabres fall apart and have not shot at the playoffs, so Regier dumps guys like Zhitnik and Satan for anything he can get.

2) The Sabres line up a set of deals where they dump Satan's contract on Team A and then they take on salary in a seperate deal with Team B.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:38 AM
  #16
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I figured as much. But, Aucoin is also a guy that should be treated as an impending UFA with his age and pending Group II status next summer.

He'll certainly be an UFA in the post-CBA NHL.



That why I was suprised at the thought of the Isles taking Satan on.

The only way I see that working is if Peca or Yashin is headed back Buffalo's way. And I know Yashin isn't leaving the Island and I doubt Peca is headed back to Buffalo.



I think it depends on whom the Sabres deal with. I could see Satan getting a Mathieu Schneider-esque return at the deadline if a big spending team were to come calling.



Add in the "make the playoffs this year" goal set by ownership and that's why I doubt Satan is going anywhere.

There are only two scenarios where I could see Satan getting traded away:

1) The Sabres fall apart and have not shot at the playoffs, so Regier dumps guys like Zhitnik and Satan for anything he can get.

2) The Sabres line up a set of deals where they dump Satan's contract on Team A and then they take on salary in a seperate deal with Team B.

Excellent analysis, Jim Bob. Thoughtful and balanced.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:59 AM
  #17
PEli*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: abroad
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
What are Sabres fans thoughts on a Freisen+ for Satan deal? Good or bad?

PEli* is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:04 AM
  #18
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Sabres ownership isn't looking to add payroll at this time. They had to be convinced to up the budget from $30 million to $33 million just to get Satan and Drury signed.

Plus, I can't see the Sabres tendering Iginla at $7.5 million this summer.
Lets do some math here.

Jerome Iginla: 7.5 Million
Miro Satan: 4.75 Million.

2.75 Difference.

Amount of Money saved by Connolly being gone the whole season:

1.24 Million.

Total Difference: 1.51 Million.

Now, you need to ask yourself: Would Buffalo get Satan for Iginla straight up? Of course not, Buffalo would have to throw in quite a bit more, i.e. Kotalik and a 1st, IMHO. Iginla would also boost ticket sales (the initial ticket push of having a marquee name) and probably give Buffalo a guaranteed spot in the playoffs, which would also boost revenue.

TehDoak is online now  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:17 AM
  #19
PuckU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Lets do some math here.

Jerome Iginla: 7.5 Million
Miro Satan: 4.75 Million.

2.75 Difference.

Amount of Money saved by Connolly being gone the whole season:

1.24 Million.

Total Difference: 1.51 Million.

Now, you need to ask yourself: Would Buffalo get Satan for Iginla straight up? Of course not, Buffalo would have to throw in quite a bit more, i.e. Kotalik and a 1st, IMHO. Iginla would also boost ticket sales (the initial ticket push of having a marquee name) and probably give Buffalo a guaranteed spot in the playoffs, which would also boost revenue.
I don't think they would have to throw anything in. I think if they could get an all-star type player in return and save 2.75 Mil they would do it. Satan is having a bad year right now, but Iginla is not showing his 50 goal season performance which got him that 7.5 Mil a season. His contract, as is Yashin's, as is Jagar are ridiculous, and will be almost impossible to move.

PuckU is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:26 AM
  #20
pappa jan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: downtown
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
maybe if buffalo is out of the playoff race come april they could be willing to ship satan off. i can see colorado as a potantial buyer as they have a history of trade for a big-name player before the playoffs. this is also a team that can use a go-to guy like satan as there is uncertainty if forsberg, selšnne and kariya will be back. just a proposal:

To colorado: Miroslav Satan and a 2nd round pick in 04.

To Buffalo: Dan Hinote, Martin Skoula and a 2nd round pick in 04.

pappa jan is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:27 AM
  #21
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckU
I don't think they would have to throw anything in. I think if they could get an all-star type player in return and save 2.75 Mil they would do it. Satan is having a bad year right now, but Iginla is not showing his 50 goal season performance which got him that 7.5 Mil a season. His contract, as is Yashin's, as is Jagar are ridiculous, and will be almost impossible to move.
But the Flames do not have to dump Iginla. There's no way Sutter does a Satan for Iginla straight up deal.

And for your information his contract is nowhere near as bad as either of the two you mentioned for several reasons...

1) It's not long term. In fact he's an RFA at the end of the season.

2) It's not nearly as big as either of the two you quoted (which are around 9-11 million IIRC). Iginla will have to be qualified at 7 million this summer.

Nice try though.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
  #22
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan
maybe if buffalo is out of the playoff race come april they could be willing to ship satan off. i can see colorado as a potantial buyer as they have a history of trade for a big-name player before the playoffs. this is also a team that can use a go-to guy like satan as there is uncertainty if forsberg, selšnne and kariya will be back. just a proposal:

To colorado: Miroslav Satan and a 2nd round pick in 04.

To Buffalo: Dan Hinote, Martin Skoula and a 2nd round pick in 04.
So Buffalo get's a 3rd line at best checker, a psyche-shattered #5 defenseman <i>and</i> gets to trade down in the second round of the '04 draft? All for the low-low cost of their leading scorer six seasons running? I suppose you're next going to offer me some beads for the island of Manhattan or something else as valuable....

Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:45 AM
  #23
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Friesen,Martin, and Berglund and a 3rd or Satan plus?

Missionhockey is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:46 AM
  #24
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"
 
coolhandluke2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
I don't understand why people expect that Satan is gonna draw a lot, because personally if the Sabres do trade him, they won't get much.. JMO

coolhandluke2410 is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 11:54 AM
  #25
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Would Buffalo get Satan for Iginla straight up? Of course not, Buffalo would have to throw in quite a bit more, i.e. Kotalik and a 1st, IMHO. Iginla would also boost ticket sales (the initial ticket push of having a marquee name) and probably give Buffalo a guaranteed spot in the playoffs, which would also boost revenue.
Oh man, I'm sorry but I would cringe if Buffalo thought about giving up Satan, Kotalik, and a 1st for Iginla. This isn't Gaborik we're talking about here. Iginla had a number of good years, and one great year. Satan has had a number of good years including some 30 goal years and 1 40 goal season. Kotalik is a player worth holding onto, he's quite big, works hard, and is a sniper. Giving up Satan, Kotalik, and a 1st is way too much IMO.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.