HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrioch: Lowe trying to move Torres and Lupul "All season"

Old
01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Oilerz

vCash: 500
Garrioch: Lowe trying to move Torres and Lupul "All season"

According to Spector's hockey and Bruce Garrioch, KLowe has been trying to move Raffi Torres and Joffrey Lupul all season. Makes it sound like he is unhappy with Torres or believes he has real trade value and is redundant within the team and maybe just aquired Joffrey for the trade value? I thought he aquired JL because he fit in with the home town/province theme he has been attempting to make with the team.

I realize that none of this is real news, but was a little surprised at the "All season" aspect of it. I also realize it is Bruce Garrioch, so please dont shoot the messenger.

Link for those who don't have it:
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
PuckNut

Yeah, when a report like that comes from Garrioch, I'm quite skeptical.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
metallicat

He must not be trying very hard then, because I'd imagine if he really wanted to, both of those guys could be moved today.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Garrioch reported today that the Oilers are interested in Corvo for either Lupol or Torres. Why would the Oilers want a D with a big contract and no defensive skills.....

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
rigger

I heard Lupul and Torres were trying to trade Lowe all season.....e78. Take that to the bank.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Garrioch reported today that the Oilers are interested in Corvo for either Lupol or Torres. Why would the Oilers want a D with a big contract and no defensive skills.....
At least he said "mild interest."

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch reports of speculation the Edmonton Oilers might have "mild interest" in Ottawa Senators defenceman Joe Corvo, although sources say it's a "slim possibility", given the Oilers concern about his four year, $10.5 million contract.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Oilerz

Let's hope it's a very mild interest.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Let's hope it's a very mild interest.
And a very slim possiblity. If Corvo is all that's available, let's just pack it in for now. Corvo isn't bad, but that I wouldn't want either Torres or Lupul to go for him.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Add the fact that the Sens will be VERY deep in forwards after Spezza and Fisher come back. I don't know how much room they would have for an additional body. If anything they would be looking to add a depth defenseman going into the playoffs not getting rid of a starter.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
dubya

Quote:
What would the Oilers offer in return? The names of forwards Joffrey Lupul and Raffi Torres have been tied to just about every trade rumour involving the Oilers this season.
This is what Garrioch wrote today. If this is what Spector is referring to, it certainly DOES NOT mean Lowe has been trying to move Torres and Lupul all season.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Walsher

If Lowe moves Torres and/or Lupul, he needs to do so for offensive players. The team can't score - not like these two are helping at this point in that category, but players need to be brought in who can generate offense. It is clear that the asking price for capable d-men is astronomical, why waste assets on a marginal upgrade (Brewer, Jackman, Corvo) when you might be able to acquire solid offensive players which seem to be at a lower value right now?

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Captain Pilsner

well at least they say that lowe "covets" stuart, that guy is the goods and the best thing that i think we can realistically land.

although he is in one hell of a tight situation, at least lowe still has his brains about him!

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:47 PM
DesiFever

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...4/3437426.html

this is what he had to say about the Oilers interest in Corvo

DesiFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Tyrolean

Maybe he'll trade for Comrie.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty Heart View Post
well at least they say that lowe "covets" stuart, that guy is the goods and the best thing that i think we can realistically land.

although he is in one hell of a tight situation, at least lowe still has his brains about him!
I think that Stuart is the most realistic PM D-man we can hope for, if he can pry him away. It may take Lupul AND Torres tho.

But Klowe has been known to pull off the big ones (trades) as we all know.

Old
01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
*M*J*D*

Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
The thing that grabbed my attention was saying lowe has been shopping Torres and Lupul all year, it makes me wonder. Garrioch was one of the people saying earlier last year the Pronger wanted out and nobody believed it, so maybe it has been Lowes plan all along to try to grab another elite d-man for Torres, Lupul, and picks if possible.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
CB420

yeah thats true, Garrioch usually throws a bunch of stuff out there, some of it hits n some misses. His sources seems decently accurate at times. If theres that elite level type Dman that would be out there, the asking price wit that packge of Lupul and Torres could be accurate. It would for sure cost alot, not just a single deal, with each of those players respectively. If we do move 1 if both we need to fill those forward spots, assuming maybe Marc Pouliot could step in, he is a centreman though, so we might be needed to get a winger back... Interesting, that he does report that KLowe has been interested in shopping them all year... maybe just waiting for that right package. and of course with our draft picks might give us an added advantage, and some leveridge in the team looking at us as a trade partner.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
This is what Garrioch wrote today. If this is what Spector is referring to, it certainly DOES NOT mean Lowe has been trying to move Torres and Lupul all season.
Thanks for clarifying that. The blogger misquoted Garrioch...
Big difference between being involved in trade rumours and Lowe actively shopping them around.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
CB420

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. The blogger misquoted Garrioch...
Big difference between being involved in trade rumours and Lowe actively shopping them around.
yeah good point, if other Gms around the league know that theese 2 players are out there on the table, the asking price in return has gotta be less valuable if they knew both players could be available. If we have a chance to get that Dman, maybe we could package only 1 of those players + draft picks being involved. Right now Id be leaning to part ways with Lupul before Raffi Torres.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:07 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Right now Id be leaning to part ways with Lupul before Raffi Torres.
After watching Torres in the playoffs last year, I'd have to agree.

But personally, I'd rather keep both...give Lupul another year before writing him off.

Old
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Walsher

Quote:
After watching Torres in the playoffs last year, I'd have to agree.

But personally, I'd rather keep both...give Lupul another year before writing him off.
Did you watch Lupul in the playoffs last year? 9 goals in 16 games and +9. Torres had 4 goals +2 in 6 more games. To me Lupul should be a good player - but something with the scenario just isn't right. Torres will always be an enigma - inconsistency is found throughout his play. I always compare him to Mark Parrish. When he gets hot he cores in bunches and looks like the real deal. When he is not hot - ooh boy it is painful.

Both guys have been busts no doubt - is now the right time to trade either? I am not so sure. Torres 2 goals in 20 games (9pts), Lupul 4 goals in 22 games (6 points). Neither guy is doing anything to help KLowe's cause if he is looking to deal them.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Funny thing is some of the rumours from Bloggers that get locked out are usually more believeable than the stuff a guy like Garrioch always seems to come out with. It is always some kind of deal with either the Senators and Leafs absolutely ripping off some western team in each rumour. I mean seriously either Lupul or Torres for Joe Corvo!? Lowe would look like a fool in such a trade IMO.

Quote:

You are almost ready to write off a kid that came with in a hair of scoring 30 goals in the best league in the world at the age of 22? wow

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-24-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:42 PM
meck

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M*J*D* View Post
The thing that grabbed my attention was saying lowe has been shopping Torres and Lupul all year, it makes me wonder. Garrioch was one of the people saying earlier last year the Pronger wanted out and nobody believed it, so maybe it has been Lowes plan all along to try to grab another elite d-man for Torres, Lupul, and picks if possible.
I believe that was Al Strachan, even though it's from Garrioch you never know..

meck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:53 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
You are almost ready to write off a kid that came with in a hair of scoring 30 goals in the best league in the world at the age of 22? wow
No, I never said that. I said I'd keep him for another year to see what he can do before considering trading him, unlike some people who want to trade him now.

Old
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
*M*J*D*

Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Al Strachan definitely said Pronger was on the outs early, I saw that on Hotstove one Saturday, but I seem to remember Garrioch saying the same thing.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote