HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Star Rant

Old
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
All Star Rant

I am starting to get really annoyed with the media personel pushing the agenda that the All Star game should be eliminated and that it is bad for the game because it doesn't represent what the league is. Yet every night of any All-Star activities the highlites, interviews, and reports lead every segment of their broadcasts. Seems to me some people are interested, at least more interested than anything else going on in sport at this time.

IT IS AN ALL STAR GAME! The point isn't to have a heated confrontation the likes of which a 7th game Stanley Cup Final game can produce. To me it is more of a recognition of players who are stars in the league, a recognition for guys like Perreault, Smyth, and others who have been steady players and have finally been given some credit by the fans and by their peers. Not everything has to be geared towards the fans or towards ratings. Personally, I find it refreshing watching two guys collide and laugh it off because they are just having a great time (Meszaros and Getzlaf). Geez the players go through months of battles during a season - EVERY guy I have seen interviewed loves the opportunity to participate, loves the comeraderie, and loves the experience they are having amongst the leagues elite. Can there not be anything for the enjoyment of the players in this league? To me it is a reward, a bonus for success and performance. Ending the All-Star game would be like the boss of your company cancelling any and all staff BBQ's because they do not accomplish long-term organizational goals.

Looking at other sports, All-Star games are the same. Heck, MLB called one of their games a tie because they didn't want to overexert any of their pitchers in an extra inning tie game. The NBA game is all show - no defence no effort. Fans don't go to watch players muck and grind - you see that 82 games a year with you favorite team. They want to see breakaways, scoring chances, and skill regardless of the pace the game is moving. They also just want a chance to see that many great players on the ice at one time.

To all who beak the All-Star festivities - find something else to do for 4 days a season if it is that big a deal. If nobody cares, don't televise anything, don't cover anything on TV. BUT do not take away the opportunity for the players to participate in an event that all who attend clearly relish.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
CB420

I agree walsher.

Quote:
I find it refreshing watching two guys collide and laugh it off because they are just having a great time (Meszaros and Getzlaf).
That was funny!! ahah Getzlaf was mic'd up, he just collided with Meszaros, then getzlaf goes something like "Ohh its goin back the other way, look out" At times the youngstars game was entertaining, at times pond hockey style, Smid played ok I thought, altho he was like -4 or -5 out there Lol! but whos keeping track of stats in an allstar. so many passes though aha, minimum of like 5! before they let a shot go, I thought Malkin would do more, some were cherry picking there for a abit, sending them in alone. Its all to entertain the fans like you said, showcase of talent and to represent their teams.

I heard an interview with dan pollard on the NHLnetwork with one of the organizers of the Event in dallas, talking about the monday, reuniting of the stars, that was actually pretty cool, bringing back some of the past names of great players, Coffey was there, Mario, Lucky Luc, Al MacInnis, Niewendyk, and Moose, cuba gooding jr. hosted it was good to see them kinda honour the players a bit, but in dallas I Guess only like 4,000 people showed up for that. This organizer just mentioned that nothing had been done kinda like this, and that they needed something to fill that monday spot up, it was ok I thought.

I think the other big thing about it is, with the new sched, that the lousy owners couldnt agree upon changing Again!! You have a player like Crosby, he's never played in Dallas, along with a bunch of other Cities, How can that happen, bettman was saying he reports to the owners, well the owners would make more coin, off having those players fill their buildings...anyways though, my point is that, with players like Crosby going 1on1 against Luongo last night, that was great, those players dont get to compete against eachother often, if any! Crosby went 2 for 3 on the shootout against Luongo, and you could tell by the look in Luongos eyes, he was p'od off that he didnt shut Crosby down, they all compete out there, that competitive instinct takes over and they wana win. So tonights game the over/under on goals I think is gonna be like 14, Im gonna take the over. With Crosby Ovechkin and "Fill in the blank" on the other wing, man most people including myself is gonna watch just for that. Lindy Ruff said he might put Shanny on that wing to start. Its all good fun and entertaining for fans though man, and like you said walsher, the players really enjoy taking part in the game, its an honour to be selected. It's not like theres bonuses anymore for Wining the hardest shot, or Sniper shooter, or break away speed relay, they do it cause they love the game. If TV #'s arent good, then I guess most fans are gonna miss 2 of the best players now in the game, #87 and #8 on the same line showcase why their gonna be allstars every year their in the league, thats their loss.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Perfect_Drug

I'd imagine if there WEREN'T an allstar game, people would be *****ing that they were never given an opportunity to watch Ovechkin lineup next to Crosby.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
when was the last time Edmonton hosted one of these events?

Walsher: Amen to that.

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganz View Post
when was the last time Edmonton hosted one of these events?

Walsher: Amen to that.
Late 80's - 88 or 89ish

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I think the league should do the All-star game the same way the NFL does the Pro-Bowl. They should hold it after the playoffs so that they can play it like an actual game, and you don't have people worried about getting hurt. They should also make it mean something, like in baseball, where the winning side gets home field advantage in the World Series. It doesn't have to be for home ice, but if it meant something, you wouldn't see as dull and lifeless a game as you do every year.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I think the league should do the All-star game the same way the NFL does the Pro-Bowl. They should hold it after the playoffs so that they can play it like an actual game, and you don't have people worried about getting hurt. They should also make it mean something, like in baseball, where the winning side gets home field advantage in the World Series. It doesn't have to be for home ice, but if it meant something, you wouldn't see as dull and lifeless a game as you do every year.
Well, i know its a long shot, but back in Australia, we had this thing called "State of Origin", for Rugby League. Its where the best players who originated from a state, either NSW or QLD, would make a team and play a three match series in order for a cup and bragging rights for the rest of the year. Maybe soemthing like that.

Tweak it a little so its like a Canada east vs. Canada West, and America east vs. America West. Have both games on simultaneously. Then winner moves onto the final, and losers battle it out for third place on the same night (so third place batle first and then final). Have it so eligibility is same as the All star (that is , if your playing for a team in that region etc etc). Make it full contact and have it for a trophy maybe??

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
grego

I don't care if they continue with the all star game but they won't have me caring about the events.

If it wasn't for the fact that there is not a single hockey game for a few days in the NHL I would totally ignore it

Personally I prefer the CFL way. You name people to the all star game in an honourary sense but you never play the actual game

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
alanschu

Quote:
EVERY guy I have seen interviewed loves the opportunity to participate
What guy is going to say "Hey, this sucks."

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
AM

thats an especially

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

good idea.

Home Ice in the Stanley Cup finals based on the All-Star game.

Afterall, its not like the schedules arnt rigged already.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
good idea.

Home Ice in the Stanley Cup finals based on the All-Star game.

Afterall, its not like the schedules arnt rigged already.
Never going to happen.

The chances of getting injured in a high intensity hockey game (where have you have sent your best players) if much more in hockey than in Baseball.

There is no way the teams would ever to agree to risk that. They have already proved that they are more interested in their bottom line than what might be good for the game by not voting to change the schedule even though their own polls showed that the wide majority of fans were in favour.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote