HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Corvo to the oilers?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Lupal or Torres, or anyone for Corvo?
Yes 19 16.24%
No 98 83.76%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
I see over at Oilfans Howson was just on the Team 1260 and he said Corvo is "not exactly a spring chicken and makes too much money" (I am just speculating but he probably meant he makes too much for what he brings). So it sounds like the Oil have little to no interest in him.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I could see a Corvo/Torres deal, but due to age and contract I would think Ottawa would have to kick in a draft pick, a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the least.

I should add that I really hope this is no more than a Plan 'D' scenario.
There is no way the oiler deal either of Lupal or Torres for Corvo. Period End of story.

I could see the oil trading Pisani and a pick/prospect though.

The salaries are similar and the Sens get an ideal player for them that can score a few play tough defensively smart hockey.

Both players are performing below expectations and both teams get something that they need.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Boozers

Rumour Denied!

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Considering the original source my money is on it a plant from Muckler to see if Corvo gets Lowe's interest and to give him an idea of what he would ask for in the first place.
Muckler did it before using the same reporter as an outlet

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I keep on reading that but sorry it makes no sense.

Can you name me ANY team in the last 30 years that went into selling mode when they were 4 points back of a playoff spot with this many games left?
im not advocating selling off *anybody*.... maybe smyth if a really good offer comes around and smyth is wanting 6 million/year, but thats the only trade that i would be behind.... im advocating that management lets this team sink or swim on their own merit, nothing more.... we have a pretty young team, let them gain experience and let them learn the hard, hard lesson of missing the playoffs the year after going to the cup final.... we'll be a better team for it in the future

of course if philly is willing to offer us pitkanen for MAP i think we should do it

we're not gonna do sweet F all in the playoffs with this team.... even if we manage o add a couple top-4 dman for next to nothing like we did last year, i still dont think this team is anywhere near good enough to get past the 2nd round.... id still do those trades to land the top-4 dmen (but only because it costs next to nothing in my example)

basically i just dont want management to give anyway any of our future in a misguided attempt at saving a season that is (in all likelihood) practically lost already

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Cerebral

I'm massively against this rumour, Corvo has a fantastic shot but he's flat out not a good defenceman. This guy is seriously beyond brutal in the defensive zone, we need a guy who can actually play a few reliable minutes. I wouldn't be shocked if this deal goes down but I will definitely be very disappointed if it does.

01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
A would take Corvo, but not for Lupul or Torres

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

I voted no, but I would give Jacques away for him in a second.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Cerebral

Anyone advocating a trade for Corvo seriously needs to watch the guy play a few games. He might look good "on paper" due to his stats but the guy is honestly a terrible defenceman.

If the deal were to go down, any chance Ottawa would at least include a replacement winger like Schaefer in the deal?

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Anyone advocating a trade for Corvo seriously needs to watch the guy play a few games. He might look good "on paper" due to his stats but the guy is honestly a terrible defenceman.

If the deal were to go down, any chance Ottawa would at least include a replacement winger like Schaefer in the deal?
Schaefer is a good player, and plays a big role on our team. He's locked up for 3 more seasons after this for a very very reasonable price of 2.1 million. It would be very difficult to pry forwards away from us, seeing as how nobody wants to see Denny Hamel on the roster again. The only trade options are Corvo and Gerber, everyone else is needed for the future and current cup run.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:54 PM
TheGreatone94

I wouldn't mind trading Bergeron and maybe a pick for Corvo. He is a upgrade on MAB, but also makes 1.5 million more and is signed for almost as many years I believe. The question is, can he play top 4 minutes and be worth the extra 1.5 million or could that money be better spent elsewhere?

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
I wouldn't mind trading Bergeron and maybe a pick for Corvo. He is a upgrade on MAB, but also makes 1.5 million more and is signed for almost as many years I believe. The question is, can he play top 4 minutes and be worth the extra 1.5 million or could that money be better spent elsewhere?
KEEP MAB!!

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
No. Garrioch is about as credible as my feces.
Incredible.

Feces...

Nothing more than,

Feces.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Stainsy
Time to improve

Send a message via Skype™ to Stainsy
I voted yes because the Oilers need a shakeup. I am not sure exactly how good Corvo is, but I know he was better in LA, and not so good in Ottawa. Perhaps he will be a better fit here, and we have need a PP QB plus a guy that can make that first pass out of the zone very badly. I have no problem dealing a fifth or sixth prospect on the depth chart, perhaps a late draft pick. The salary is a problem, but not like there are many other defensemen available at this time.

Stainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
I am not sure exactly how good Corvo is, but I know he was better in LA, and not so good in Ottawa.
What makes you say that? His stats might have been better with the Kings but he was still absolutely brutal. Just ask Los Angeles fans about Corvo, they're definitely not unhappy he left in the off-season.

This team definitely needs a shakeup (although things aren't as urgent as some here are stating, they've won 2 of their last 3 despite playing with a crippled defence) but that doesn't mean Lowe should go out and make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

Old
01-25-2007, 12:19 AM
TheGreatone94

This is not part of the Corvo rumour, but it is a rumour, that Brad Stuart is likely headed to Edmonton before the deadline. This is coming from a source on Oilfans (no not touchstone) and a source from the Boston board who claims that Edmonton are the frontrunners for Stuart. However, the source from Oilfans claimed it was Stuart for Bergeron and possibly a first, whereas the Boston source hasnt named names. If we could grab Stuart and maybe a guy like Boynton, I would think our defence would be revamped and a total 360 from what it is now.
Stuart-Smith
Boynton-Staios
Greene-Smid or Hejda
Top four guys are all minute loggers and the rooks could see "true" third pairing minutes. I have a feeling Lowe is about to pull the trigger on a couple deals that will improve this club drastically.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
This is not part of the Corvo rumour, but it is a rumour, that Brad Stuart is likely headed to Edmonton before the deadline. This is coming from a source on Oilfans (no not touchstone) and a source from the Boston board who claims that Edmonton are the frontrunners for Stuart. However, the source from Oilfans claimed it was Stuart for Bergeron and possibly a first, whereas the Boston source hasnt named names. If we could grab Stuart and maybe a guy like Boynton, I would think our defence would be revamped and a total 360 from what it is now.
Stuart-Smith
Boynton-Staios
Greene-Smid or Hejda
Top four guys are all minute loggers and the rooks could see "true" third pairing minutes. I have a feeling Lowe is about to pull the trigger on a couple deals that will improve this club drastically.
My one problem with acquiring Brad Stuart is that he's almost surely going to be a pure rental. Moving a first round draft pick for Roloson last year made some sense as the likelihood of him signing long-term in Edmonton was fairly high. I have my doubts that Stuart will stick around if he gets dealt here - he reportedly has his sights set on California in the off-season and he's due to make a very hefty sum of money as one of the marquee defencemen available in the off-season.

I like Brad Stuart a lot and he's exactly what we need but moving a first rounder for him could end up being a bad move. Boynton, on the other hand, makes a ton of sense and I'd like to see Lowe acquire him as the long-term replacement for Smith on the backend. He's struggled with injuries this season but he has been a reliable 20+ minute guy in the past and I'm a big fan of the grit he adds to the lineup.

Old
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...37637-sun.html

thought I would let Edmonton fans know, see what your thoughts about it are.
for Lupul? yes, in a heartbeat. for Torres? not so sure.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Cerebral

Not to start another Touchstone thread because a number of people here seem to like him but he's now claiming that Boston is offering Bergeron and Stuart to Edmonton.

Old
01-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Other Little Mikey

Offering ... Patrice Bergeron? For what?

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Offering ... Patrice Bergeron? For what?
They signed him in the off-season to a 5 year extension but apparently they've grown sick of him due to his recent 5 game slump.

Old
01-25-2007, 09:38 AM
kashirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
They signed him in the off-season to a 5 year extension but apparently they've grown sick of him due to his recent 5 game slump.
Sure, score 47 points, nearly PPG before a 5 game slump, and I'd trade away Bergeron too! I guess he is -15 thus far, which seems pretty bad at the clip that he's scoring at.

Personally, I wouldn't take Bergeron for anyone we have on our team unless Savard is coming this way as well

kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
8BostonRocker24

"Would you trade Lupal or Torres, or anyone for Corvo?"

What kind of a question is that? Does 'anyone' include the 4th line guy playing in the AHL?

I voted yes, But I wouldn't trade Torres or Lupal for Corvo. He's good, but not worth that.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:18 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
I would think our defence would be revamped and a total 360 from what it is now.
If The Oilers Defence was to do "a total 360".... it would facing the same direction.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
oiler4ever

Please say no to Corvo.

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote