HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier about Luc Gelinas ?

Old
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Masao

vCash: 500
I'd like to know if anyone has a count of how many times Jacques said "Tu as absolument raison, Chantal"

It has to be in the thousands, at least.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Heard that, but it was clearly for fun, Vinny repeated it at least twice, to make sure the folks at RDS caught it and broadcast it.

It was fun to hear him yell in french during the play (ex:"MARTIN, ENVOYE EN AVANT!")

Crosby, however, seemed shy to speak french at all, he does speak it very well, it was a bit strange
"Encore deux petites minutes" said with a big potato in the mouth, and you think he speaks it very well???

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
"Encore deux petites minutes" said with a big potato in the mouth, and you think he speaks it very well???
Yeah, I've seen his RBK and Tim Hortons ads in French, and they arent really the greatest in terms of quality of French. But I really appreciate the fact that he at least gives it an effort. I saw Alain Crete interview him the other day on RDS, and I was really hoping that he would ask him questions in French, but they asked him in English. The thing about Crosby is that even if his French isn't that great, he's got such a great attitude that I don't think he would be all that nervous in trying it. He's not afraid to handle it, and I think that just shows a lot about his attitude. I hope from now on, RDS asks him questions in French!

I bet if he were in Montreal, by this time, he would be able to comfortably handle questions in English and French. Do the people who followed the Q during the Crosby reign know whether he did much press talking in French?

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:04 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
didn't he say Encore une couple de minutes?

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Why should this be an embarassement to us?
Indeed, it's more an embarassment to him.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
IMO, Luc Gelinas is watchable.

I hate Renaud Lavoie though.
I 'm surprised that you say that JD. Lavoie's more of a reporter isn't he ? I tend to listen more if he's on air, because he's reporting something rather than just doing a quick sound bite.
The whole interview/translation thing can be a tough job. It's tricky asking a question of interest, but doing it in a way that the answer is of a manageable length.

When I call on customers with a unilingual anglophone, I suggest that they avoid certain slang that a francophone may not know. I was in Chicoutimi with a guy who kept using expressions like 'nooks and crannies'. The customer, smiled, nodded his head and when my guy stopped talking, looked at me and said, 'je ne comprends rien'.

I told my guy he was just asking a question.

Just once, wouldn't you to like to see Gelinas, start to translate, shake his head and go, 'Aucune idee' and walk away ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

+1

Renaud Lavoie is so full of himself when he speaks, and sometimes, there are things that he state (about players, about trade rumors) that are weird to say the least, especially with his attitude, it's like 'I said it, it's true cause I said it !'

Luc Gelinas, I see as the guy with less talent but who's giving an honest effort.

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Good question...it's really hard to understand. Even the younger kid can't say it correctly. One more question for the humanity...

Encore deux petites minutes

or

Encore une couple de minutes

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
ymenard

Yeah I always feel bad for the RDS reporters who have to interview in English, and then translate on the fly in French while the interviewed is standing there doing nothing. They should ditch that, Yvon and Pierre are always doing it too after on-ice soundbites per example, grrr...

I can understand many QPL don't know their English that much but still, wouldn't it be the perfect place to learn it, watching the Habs?

ymenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
if only she was a lot younger and skankier, would make it more watchable
she's fine. i love her and her multi-coloured hair did

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Masao View Post
I'd like to know if anyone has a count of how many times Jacques said "Tu as absolument raison, Chantal"

It has to be in the thousands, at least.

Or "ex-ex-excellente question, tres bor-rne question, j'aime ta quer-rstion..." always always

ah good old jacques. he's the most entertaining guy on RDS.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Yeah, I've seen his RBK and Tim Hortons ads in French, and they arent really the greatest in terms of quality of French. But I really appreciate the fact that he at least gives it an effort. I saw Alain Crete interview him the other day on RDS, and I was really hoping that he would ask him questions in French, but they asked him in English. The thing about Crosby is that even if his French isn't that great, he's got such a great attitude that I don't think he would be all that nervous in trying it. He's not afraid to handle it, and I think that just shows a lot about his attitude. I hope from now on, RDS asks him questions in French!

I bet if he were in Montreal, by this time, he would be able to comfortably handle questions in English and French. Do the people who followed the Q during the Crosby reign know whether he did much press talking in French?

The main issue is that Sidney Crosby is born in Dartmouth. He never speak french of his entire live before came in Rimouski in 2003. In 2004 he was "able" to speak french and in the season 2004-2005 he was easy to understand and not so bad at all...

Since that time he's in Pittsburgh, nobody speak french there and its not is first language, he didn't live more then 2 years in Quebec, and he's gone since 2 years, so he got nobody to speak in french with. He lives at Mario Lemieux's home, but I'm pretty sure Lemieux only speak in english with him.

I can't understand and barely forget everything in french now but when he'll be with the habs in couple year its will be easy to learn it again. (I doubt he'll want to come here but nobody knows.)

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:02 PM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Or "ex-ex-excellente question, tres bor-rne question, j'aime ta quer-rstion..." always always

ah good old jacques. he's the most entertaining guy on RDS.
Him and Dany Dubé (CKAC) are the best hockey analyst out there IMHO

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
zx81

I kinda like Chantal.

As for Crosby, he says "Encore une couple de minutes". I just can't stand this ad. The kid who's impersonating young Crosby is even more annoying.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:

It's funny when he interviews players...he asks only 2 quick questions...that's it. I remember a player making a face like '' Huh ok? '' After the interview I forgot who it was.

Gelinas has a terrible voice (too much smoking?) but he's a decent reporter imo..dunno why alot of people hate him.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post

Neither.

He says : «Encowe une coupe minute»

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Why should this be an embarassement to us?
Well as a fellow Quebecer, he's embarassing me that he looks like low-grade wannabe.

RDS should do some house cleaning. They don't care because the ratings are high but most of their guys are atrocious. And the shows between periods are boring.

Demers is always confusing and never say something new. Gelinas is bad as well and Chantal. Pednault is a lunatic. And Alain Crête is a cold fish.

Only Houde is good, he's in fact excellent. Put him in charge, let him be the host a la Ron Maclean at CBC. Have Danny Dubé be there between periods to bring in interesting analysis of the match, what happens, what the Habs should do, etc...This guy is always interesting. And have two new announcers during the match. I would have Renault Lavois interview players since he seems to have a good relationship with them.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Do the people who followed the Q during the Crosby reign know whether he did much press talking in French?
He did most of the interviews in english, but it never bothered anyone because he was always doing great efforts to communicate with french people outside the arenas.

Some people (like me) have no ability at all with languages, despite trying a lot, Crosby never became very good in French so his english interviews are actually better even with the translation. The important is the effort and opening, it's why he became so popular in Quebec.

About RDS, Gelinas have one of the worst job in hockey and he's doing it well, most players know and respect that. Lecavalier was kidding. I really like Crete and Demers between the periods you can tell that they are great friends and are having fun. Maccabe and Pednault are ok in their role. I don't really like Pierre et Yvon but they are bearable.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
+1

Renaud Lavoie is so full of himself when he speaks, and sometimes, there are things that he state (about players, about trade rumors) that are weird to say the least, especially with his attitude, it's like 'I said it, it's true cause I said it !'

Luc Gelinas, I see as the guy with less talent but who's giving an honest effort.
I would rather have somebody that is good at what he's doing and has personality but a little arrogance than a boring good worker. As a viewer, I expect more than that. What Gelinas is doing could be done by anybody on this board. I call him "Strict Minimum" Gelinas.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineyIsGod View Post

Or what about Hartley's comment he were really funny, he quick and on point, now here's a guy I could see take Demers place when Jacques hangs is mic, if Hartley is without a job of course.
Agreed, Hartley was awesome - very down to earth, hope RDS hire him some day

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post

About RDS, Gelinas have one of the worst job in hockey and he's doing it well, most players know and respect that. Lecavalier was kidding. I really like Crete and Demers between the periods you can tell that they are great friends and are having fun. Maccabe and Pednault are ok in their role. I don't really like Pierre et Yvon but they are bearable.
It's the worst job in hockey for him because his English is terrible and that limits his interviewing ability. Furthermore, he has difficulty making a routine translation that most fluently bilingual people do in their sleep. He doesn't ask especially good questions either. If the job is to speak to players who are primarily anglophone, learn the language. There is no excuse. Otherwise, RDS should get someone who can do it.

Chantal should not be doing interviews. I find her engaging and her english is very good but she has no background in journalism clearly. The interview I saw her do with Markov was hilarious...for all the wrong reasons.

I hope one day RDS actually hires qualified people. Only Demers, and perhaps Houde as a play by play man, do their job well. Too bad Bobby Mac doesn't speak French. He would certainly add more professionalism.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Dany Dube is really good, he absolutely loves hockey, his analysis are always sharp and interesting and has good communication skills.

Nobody speaks about Stephane Leroux... is it because he looks like a redhair ogre ? IMO he's one of the best player analyst RDS have right now, he's greatly involved in junior leagues, perhaps that's why he hasn't stepped up... anyway he always have so much information about everything he speaks about, and he always speaks about hockey, so that's not bad at all... AND he speaks english well, can interview people (like we saw in the world junior)... in fact he seems like a hockey geek, like Fernand in Les Boys I forgot, he's a good play-by-play man...

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:53 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
Dany Dube is really good, he absolutely loves hockey, his analysis are always sharp and interesting and has good communication skills.

Nobody speaks about Stephane Leroux... is it because he looks like a redhair ogre ? IMO he's one of the best player analyst RDS have right now, he's greatly involved in junior leagues, perhaps that's why he hasn't stepped up... anyway he always have so much information about everything he speaks about, and he always speaks about hockey, so that's not bad at all... AND he speaks english well, can interview people (like we saw in the world junior)... in fact he seems like a hockey geek, like Fernand in Les Boys I forgot, he's a good play-by-play man...
Yes, totally agree on Stéphane Leroux. I personnaly would take him over Yvon Pednault.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddas View Post
I really hate her, she messes up even the simplest names and acts like a 15 years old meeting her favourite boys band every single time.

Claudine Douville (sp?) is hands down the worst reporter on RDS.
I really agree about Chantal. She's very annoying. At least if she was a little bit pretty I'd forgive her.

Douville, is she that hideos thing that looks like a monkey? RDS should get some young, fresh chicks to do the reporting. TSN and sportsnet chicks are models in comparison.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitopia View Post
I really agree about Chantal. She's very annoying. At least if she was a little bit pretty I'd forgive her.

Douville, is she that hideos thing that looks like a monkey? RDS should get some young, fresh chicks to do the reporting. TSN and sportsnet chicks are models in comparison.
Gino Reda's pretty hot.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote