HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question for Tom Benjamin

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Tom_Benjamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Now about what you pointed out... First I'll say that imo, the most important thing to fix is the financial situation of the league, which imo leads to boring games.
Financial problems lead to boring hockey. Did you really think this through? It is much more likely that boring hockey has led to financial problems. Vancouver and Edmonton don't trap. Both have or had low payrolls. Neither committed suicide by playing it wide open.

Quote:
Now if you look at the financial problems of the NHL, you'll see that there's decreasing interest in the overall product.
I probably agree. See above. Putting more entertainment value in the product is the solution.

Quote:
How can this situation be improved in the long term? The CBA gives a good occasion for the NHL to start on a new base. A good financial agreement will result in a more financially stable NHL. Just that will help greatly improve the league's success. How? People will tend to shy away from sports or teams that are financially instable or constantly threatening to move to a new city.
All the NHL has to do then is pretend to be financially stable. I can't see how this is any harder than pretending to be financially unstable. There isn't a sport with more movement than the NFL. The latest team threatening to move to LA is San Diego. Why? They want to renegotiate the sweetheart lease that was signed a few years back. It was supposedly guaranteed to prevent relocation. Why aren't people shying away from the NFL?

Quote:
What should be done in the CBA negociations? Imo, there should be some form of cap (I prefer hard cap) at a set % of total revenues, making the NHL a owner-player partnership. Partnerships between owners and workers usually yield better results as far as product quality is concerned. That way, both owners AND players can focus on increasing total revenues.
Great. Higher revenues for the owners and players mean higher prices. Which team do you own? The NHL and the NHLPA want ever higher revenues. As a fan, I figure we pay enough.

Quote:
I don't think a hard cap would have as much impact on player movement as non-guaranteed contracts.
I don't care about non-guaranteed contracts. Assume a $45 million cap (or whatever) free agency at 27 (or whatever) and a fixed percentage of revenues for the players somehow.

But do try to answer the question. What will your system do for:

1) The New York Rangers?

2) The Ottawa Senators?

3) The Colorado Avalanche?

4) The Edmonton Oilers?

Tom

Closed Thread