HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul

Old
01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
howitzermoose

vCash: 500
Lupul

As the season goes on, I've been reading and hearing Joffrey Lupul's name come up in trade talks/rumours. I am a Oiler fan, but live out east in Halifax, so obviously I dont catch a lot of Oiler games, but to me Lowe would be making a big mistake in trading this guy. Sure he isnt having the greatest season statistically, but I think its way too early to be giving up on him.

He was basically the centre piece in the Pronger deal, and scored 28 goals last yr. I kind of expected him to have a bit of an off year due to him playing in his home town etc. I just think he's putting too much pressure on himself, and next yr he'll be 10X more comfortable, and consequently, have a good yr.

Do people agree, or do those who see him play regularly think he's playing horrible and is good trade bait???

howitzermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 03:26 PM
OilerNut*

People have been offering up everyone in trades lately. Lupul is the new whipping boy among forwards.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Lessy

I don't think it's a good idea to trade Lupul right now at all. He's not a good fit in Edmonton by the looks of things and a change of scenery might do him well but his value is looking to be at an alltime low right now. He's pretty much done nothing all year and GM's are aware of that, he's rumoured to be involved in a trade for Joe freakin Corvo . It wouldn't be a good idea to trade Lupul right now at all if his value is what rumours are targetting it as (ex. Corvo). Personally, I'd like to try him and Hemsky together, I know there both RW but I don't recall this combo being tried much this year at all. Unless we're getting a good young player for Lupul no way should we trade him with his value where it is.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:49 PM
metallicat

What is Lupul on track for? 25-30 goals or something? What's wrong with that for a 23 year old? Jeez, NHLers can't exactly keep scoring more goals, year after year after year. I just cannot understand why people want to trade someone with such an upside, who is making relatively little money.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
What is Lupul on track for? 25-30 goals or something? What's wrong with that for a 23 year old? Jeez, NHLers can't exactly keep scoring more goals, year after year after year. I just cannot understand why people want to trade someone with such an upside, who is making relatively little money.
He's on pace for 22 goals. Still not bad for a 23 year old.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
metallicat

OK, 22 then. I am pretty sure his on pace number was higher a little while back, but I digress. He may even get on a hot streak and score 28 again. Trading him would be a mistake, IMO.

Some of our defensemen are still maturing, and still getting better. While it will take years before they are all at their peaks, I think trading too many of our forwards to bring in more D is a somewhat bad move. Yes, defense needs help, but there are years down the road that need to be considered as well.

Old
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Arcane

I am still a Lupul fan.

Everyones name has come up in trade talks so don't get too worried. The bad thing is we need some D and I don't really want to trade any oilers.

Tough to be a GM that's for sure.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
mvprimate

He is getting better. He may not show up on the points sheet every night but he is getting better at forchecking and going to the net.

It's not easy being traded for chris pronger back to your hometown, a place where expectations for players is so high. Not to mention the line blender that has been going on.

He will be fine, he just needs to continue to try and improve his game and hopefully start to feed off of the pressure rather than let it hinder him.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
ScottyKwas

Lupul

Word of advice for Lupul...stop going out everynight and having sex with all the Edmonton girls. I guarantee that is a factor! He wasn't the man in Anaheim, no one is that plays hockey down there is, but here he is recognized by everyone and on everyones "hit" list!

Do what your paid to do.

ScottyKwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyKwas View Post
Word of advice for Lupul...stop going out everynight and having sex with all the Edmonton girls. I guarantee that is a factor! He wasn't the man in Anaheim, no one is that plays hockey down there is, but here he is recognized by everyone and on everyones "hit" list!

Do what your paid to do.
what a stupid comment

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
JDubs

Quote:

Do what your paid to do.
hahaha oh my. I don't have a lot of good things to say about Lupul as a person, but wow. Did he bang your girlfriend or something?

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
MotorSportsGordon

I doubt that KLowe will trade Lupul. Sure at times he's at times this year it hasn't been going good for him(Perhaps to many) but at the same look at his age and the amount of of goals he's on pace for. A year like this might also help build up more character in the youngplayer.

MotorSportsGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Red Eyes

Trade Lupul?

For the sanity of the player trade him to the sunshine states where no one knows him. But as a hockey fan I would like to see him play here, he has a great upside. If I would have my way I wish people would be so hard on him, he is a local boy just traded for arguably the best defensman in the NHL. That is a lot of pressure. I hope we see him for a long time. 23-30 goals is not to bad for a 23 year old.

Red Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:51 PM
metallicat

Quote:

Do what your paid to do.
If that was a factor, then every single past Oiler would be having the same problems. I think these guys know how to tune their personal lives out when they get on the ice.

Old
01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
CanadianDestroyer

I really do not believe the Oilers will trade Lupul. He has too much potential to just give up now. The problem is the Oilers have potential, which is fine in a year or two but now it looks deceptive.

CanadianDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
People have been offering up everyone in trades lately. Lupul is the new whipping boy among forwards.
he is the whipping boy cause he it not on pass for the40goals everyone thought he would get

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Master Lok

Oiler fans seem to like scapegoats. I suggest that instead of demanding the trade of player X from the Oil - to just blame Pronger.

for E.g. I can't believe Bergeron just coughed up another turnover. Its Pronger's fault!

or Horcoff just missed the net again! Its Pronger's fault!

or why doesn't MacT (give more/take away) minutes to the young players? Its Pronger's fault!

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:54 PM
braincramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Oiler fans seem to like scapegoats. I suggest that instead of demanding the trade of player X from the Oil - to just blame Pronger.

for E.g. I can't believe Bergeron just coughed up another turnover. Its Pronger's fault!

or Horcoff just missed the net again! Its Pronger's fault!

or why doesn't MacT (give more/take away) minutes to the young players? Its Pronger's fault!
It's been tried . . .

braincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
PunjabiOil*

Games like tonight is why I don't really want Lupul being moved.

Hasn't got a point, but the effort is there, and he's creating chances.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:44 AM
nameht

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Games like tonight is why I don't really want Lupul being moved.

Hasn't got a point, but the effort is there, and he's creating chances.
yea today he showed a great deal of effort, he may not come around this year but there has been some flashes and today was one of them

he had a very nice blocked shot, won a couple of battles along the board and almost scored off of one of his wristers (which we havnt seen enough of this year)

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
t0mf00lery

Lupul is on pace for 21 goals and also to be -23. That's impressive.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Lessy

Lupul played better tonight, although him and Bergy especially looked really nervous with the puck. I liked the emotion Lupul came out with later in the game and especially in the third. I liked how he demanded the puck on one of the breakouts and he had a few nice wristshots that could have gone. I also believe it was him that made the pass to Peterson for what should have been a goal. I'd like to see him a bit more motivated in the corners and playing with a bit more physicality but tonight was a definite improvement.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
21Gator*

I would trade Lupul for Zherdev+2nd, or a number one Dman signed beyond this year. That's about it. He is a good asset and will ahave success,. I wouldn't be suprised if he lights it up for 40+ next year.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Aaaaaron

I thought Lupul played good last night against SJ, and not bad tonight. He seems to be coming around and just needs a bit more time I think until people start to notice his play and points rack up.

Aaaaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
He's been BRUTAL this year and still on pace for 20 goals. If we make the playoffs, I have a feeling that him going on a hot streak will play a considerable part in it.