HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lupul

Old
01-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

vCash: 500
Lupes has had a tough debut season in Edmonton. But I wouldn't trade him. For starters, as mentioned, his trade value is probably at its worst right now. Secondly, this is still a young guy with pretty good natural abilities with holes in his game.

Maturation takes a bit longer for some. I believe Lupul's assets are worth waiting for. He's been a scorer at every level. I think he will come around. He's finding out that those skills are not enough. I'm optimistic he is learning that success at this level (and team) requires work ethic and commitment to the defensive end. Let's give this guy a chance to realize his potential here ... versus somewhere else because of a shortsided deal (not that I think K-Lowe would do that).

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:04 AM
jadeddog

i was just looking at our salaries over the next two years and i noticed lupuls cap hit this year.... 2.3 million... i had kinda forgotten that this kid was getting paid this kind of money.... wow!! ive been pretty hard on him all season, but now that i remember what he makes im gonna be a lot harder on him.... jesus this is an overpayment of the worst kind

how this kid can look himself in the mirror after cashing those checks is beyond me.... he hasnt earned even half what hes making, i would say roughly a third at best

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:53 AM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonks View Post
As the season goes on, I've been reading and hearing Joffrey Lupul's name come up in trade talks/rumours. I am a Oiler fan, but live out east in Halifax, so obviously I dont catch a lot of Oiler games, but to me Lowe would be making a big mistake in trading this guy. Sure he isnt having the greatest season statistically, but I think its way too early to be giving up on him.

He was basically the centre piece in the Pronger deal, and scored 28 goals last yr. I kind of expected him to have a bit of an off year due to him playing in his home town etc. I just think he's putting too much pressure on himself, and next yr he'll be 10X more comfortable, and consequently, have a good yr.

Do people agree, or do those who see him play regularly think he's playing horrible and is good trade bait???
Lupul may have the ability to be good but his work ethic is horrible. Last night was the first time he has played well without the puck all season. I would trade him if it brought an equally young defenceman with promise........ALSO the best part of the Pronger trade was SMID and the two first rounders.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
Lupul may have the ability to be good but his work ethic is horrible. Last night was the first time he has played well without the puck all season. I would trade him if it brought an equally young defenceman with promise........ALSO the best part of the Pronger trade was SMID and the two first rounders.
Lupul was and is the centrepiece of the trade. He's got much more potential than Smid, and is farther along in his development despite this season.

Smid has a VERY long way to go before we can say he is the key part of the Pronger deal.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
mvprimate

I don't want to trade lupul but if some of you think lowe wouldn't package him in a deal for a fairly young/signable no. 1/2 dman, you are fricking nuts.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:52 PM
STAZE

Lupul needs to work on his game in his own end and has to become more efficient along the wall. What I have noticed about Lupul is that he loses many battles on the wall and he tends to wait for the puck rather than go to it. This is the primary reason as to why whatever line he is on spends a considerable amount of time in their own end and have difficulty in getting the puck out of their end.

STAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
If that was a factor, then every single past Oiler would be having the same problems. I think these guys know how to tune their personal lives out when they get on the ice.
Someone should give that memo to Torres.

01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Let me preface this saying that I haven't liked Lupul from almost the beginning because he won't pay the price to get to the prime scoring areas and I have my doubts whether he will turn into an elite scorer because of this BUT it is too early to give up on him.

I will give him some more time before I determine if the above assessment is because he hasn't learned to shake checks and get comfortable at this level OR if he is just a soft player that wants to get the easy goal.

He reminds me of Samsonov without the sizzle, Sergei is very talented but he is softer than butter and disappears for long stretches.

(BTW, Montreal is trying to move Sergei but at his salary no one will take him. Another Lowe decision that was criticized to no end, I guess Lowe wins that one over the many armchair GM's)

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Jamie

The soft minute 4th line? What about for home games trying a 4th line of Torres-Nedved and Lupul? Give them minutes against the 3rd and 4th lines of the league, and some 2nd unit PP time. Keep our top line in tact, bump a few up a line.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Sykora-Stoll-Pisani
Thoreson-Reasoner-Stortini
Torres-Nedved-Lupul

Does it work? Personally I think Reasoner would be a better fit on the 2nd line in this scenario with his playmaking skills, but he doesn't ever seem to get his just due.

Jamie is online now   Reply With Quote