HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Any News On The New MSG?

Old
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Any News On The New MSG?

Has anything heard anything new about the supposedly new MSG? I was hearing so much during the summer, now I haven't heard anything. Anyone know what's going on with it?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

All I know is that is its supposed to take over the post office thats across the street and the site that MSG is on now is supposed to become part of Penn Station. I havent heard of any new developments regaurding the changes recently though.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 01-27-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:32 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I meant the actual building. There was lots of talk in the summer about building a new MSG.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/ny...erland&emc=rss

I haven't heard much about this since June. So I was wondering if anyone knew anything.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 01-27-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Nich

i knew you meant the new building, just throwing my 2 cents in on the board

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
broadwayblue

As far as the original question, I don't think there has been a agreement yet on a new MSG at the new Penn Station.

The other news I had read about a year or so ago was that the current MSG was supposed to undergo a multi-million $ renovation beginning last summer. Don't think any of that actually happened. Maybe they are thinking that there's no point to blowing that kind of money if the whole place will be demolished in a few years.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The place should be rebuilt. As much as I love the Garden, it needs to be done. The place needs true stadium seating so the guy in front of you's head doesn't block your view. Also they need to design the arena so sound carries better. Make it so the sounds in the arena get amplified naturally and obviously add more seats. Maybe somewhere in the range of 20,500 to 21,000.
You can say all you want about history, but only one cup was won in this Garden. In the 38 years of MSG IV's existance only 3 championships (1 NHL, 2 NBA) were won.
MSG III had 3 Stanley Cups and no NBA championships.

Also in terms of the Rangers BB. It's gotten so bad now that like a week ago they disabled private messaging because people were making abusive threats and such with it.

Old
01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
New Garden definitely needs more seats... 18,200 does not cut it.

You know... the Garden always sells out, they can easily make it 20,000~22,000 seats.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:01 PM
WheresBarnaby

As far as the orginal question goes, I actually work for CV, and still haven't heard anything internally. However If there is something going on, it wouldn't be the first time the public knows something before the employees do.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
broadwayblue

While I agree that the Garden definitely needs to be rebuilt, I don't necessarily think it has to have a higher seating capacity. I'm not saying it can't, just that most hockey arenas don't seat more than 18,000 to 19,000 fans, and in my opinion there are more important things than simply capacity. I'd like better sightlines, wider concourses, more and better vending options, restrooms and general facilities. I'm curious to see what the new Devils arena looks like...it sounds like it will be very nice, with new dining and seating options.

As far as the Garden always selling out...it would only look more rediculous with 20,000+ seats and even more empties than there are now with all the corporate seats that go unused for the average game.

Old
01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well you'd hope that there'd be more lower priced seats than higher priced ones. You could hope for something like the 400s being a complete circle with the luxury boxes either below or above it. instead of just parts like it is now.

I do agree about the sight lines, they definitely need stadium seating.

They also have to think about concerts and make sure the acoustics sound good. If you have an arena where the sound is very good then more artists will be willing to go to the Garden over Nassau or Continental (like many do).

Wider Concourses also would be nicer. It's a pain trying to get through during intermission with crowds at the food vendors.

The food options aren't something I really care about. It's NYC you can find food anywhere and it's probably going to cost about the same as if you bought in the Garden.

Restrooms need to be improved. I went to the bathroom in the Garden for the first time a couple games ago and I must say I thought it was going to be bigger.

Old
01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
broadwayblue

You can bank on the luxury boxes being below the 400's next time around. Or possibly going with several tiers of boxes (like philips arena.) That's where the money is, and in NYC I can't see them having a problem selling them all.