HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The worst teams to win the cup?

Old
01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
The 85/86 Habs regular season team was just an above average team. The 85/86 PLAYOFF Habs were a far, far better team than the regular season version.
They finished 7th of 21 teams. Top third isn't terrible at all.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Past prime ? So 82pts past prime for a d-men is amazing... We doN,t give a **** about Dahlin not playing well in playoff... Claude Lemieux was not playing the season but came in playoff with something like 10 goals 6 assist in 20 games.

See my post on the first page, two MTL winning team stats are there for the regular season, not for the playoffs..

Mat Naslund: 8-11-19 (20GP)
C. Lemieux: 10-6-16 (20GP)
B. Smith: 7-8-15 (20GP)
L. Robinson: 0-13-13 (20GP)
G. Carbonneau: 7-5-12 (20GP)
C. Chelios: 2-9-11 (20GP)
B. Gainey: 5-5-10 (20GP)

Naslund was top forward of the league, he was finishin top-5 or top-10 couple year in a row... Robinson was still the best d-men in the league while Chelios was amazing. Bobby Smith was one of the best stickhanlder in the league, very good offensive forward, Carbonneau and Gainey was/are the two best 2-way forward all time while Lemieux is the most "clutch" player of all time. And Roy the best goaltender of all time...

Take a chill pill !
Why should I take a chill pill. It is not like I am arguing emotionally with all kind of trash talk. It is my opinion that this team was the worst winner. Mediocre regular season. Hardly any cup worthy opponents in the play offs. That makes it for me a mediocre Cup winner.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
Why should I take a chill pill. It is not like I am arguing emotionally with all kind of trash talk. It is my opinion that this team was the worst winner. Mediocre regular season. Hardly any cup worthy opponents in the play offs. That makes it for me a mediocre Cup winner.
The Habs have won many times when they weren't the best team. They weren't a terrible team in 86 and 93 but I agree they were a mediocre team EXCEPT for Patrick Roy. He won the 93 Cup almost on his own ( and he was on his own in many games).

Note: I am a Canadiens fan and the reason the Canadiens have won 24 Cups is because they have been able to come through when they aren't the most talented team.

The WORST team to win the Cup was the 1967 Leafs. Habs lost to a bunch of doddering old turds.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post
The Habs have won many times when they weren't the best team. They weren't a terrible team in 86 and 93 but I agree they were a mediocre team EXCEPT for Patrick Roy. He won the 93 Cup almost on his own ( and he was on his own in many games).

Note: I am a Canadiens fan and the reason the Canadiens have won 24 Cups is because they have been able to come through when they aren't the most talented team.

The WORST team to win the Cup was the 1967 Leafs. Habs lost to a bunch of doddering old turds.
I'm pretty sure the Leaf teams of the sixties did exactly what you commend your Habs for doing, no?

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post

Actually, montreal was as bad as the Leafs that year. Montreal had 77 points & the Leafs 75. chicago was the dominant regular season team that year with 94 points. agree that 67 Leafs were one of the worst wunners but Habs would have just been as bad.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
OntOilFan

There are obviously some astute hockey historians here so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about but the Hurricanes sure got lucky last year.

Koivu doesn't go down, they lose to Montreal. Buffalo doesn't lose half their d-corps, they lose to Buffalo. Edmonton doesn't lose Roloson, it's over after Game 1.

I guess you need to get breaks to win, but the stars aligned for them.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:48 PM
pappyline

Also, got to cast a vote for the 71 Habs, Missed the playoffs in 69-70, In 70-71 finished regular season behind Boston, New York & Chicago. Their playoff goalie (Dryden) had only played 6 NHL games. Had a lot of conflict, most notably between Richard & coack MacNeil).Upset Boston who was by far the best team that year. Beat Chicago in the final on a fluke goal. Habs were not a good team that year but still pulled it off.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Habsfunk

I think you can make a reasonable argument for the '85-'86 Habs. They were an average team that road a hot goalie and some clutch scoring by unheralded youngsters to the Cup.

The 92-93 Habs were a good team. They finished with 102 points and were first overall until the last month of the season when they went in a slump and only got 15 points over their last 17 games while Pittsburgh was busy winning 17 in a row and Boston also went on a tear. They also had a great regular season despite Roy being merely average. There were even some reporters that thought Roy should be traded and Andre "Red Light" Racicot given the #1 job. Of course, it never hurts when your goalie turns in arguably the greatest goaltending performance of all-time in the playoffs.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:59 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
All playing very good hockey in the playoffs makes the 85/86 Habs far from the worst team to win the Cup.
Not far from, simply because every cup winner is an awesome team.

The worst is the Montreal AAAs, they didn't win it, it was given to them!

01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary View Post
'04 Lightning.
This coming from a guy with the username "Calgary". How shocking.

Any reasoning there or just sour grapes, sport?

01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I hate to say it (because I know this will get me flamed), but last year's Carolina Huricanes would rates serious consideration. They didn't have an elite defense, elite goaltending and they were not especially effective up front (as compared to some other teams). I was shocked they went all the way.
Cam Ward may not have yet attained elite status, but he was hot. Hot goaltending - at the very right time - can win a Cup.

An easier question would be, "what team had the worst goaltending to win a Cup?" That would be Detroit, after jettisoning Mike Vernon. The Red Wings decided that they were so outstanding, that they could win with average goaltending...and they did. Once. Chris Os-never-any-good helped them do it the next year. They applied this strategy again with the vastly overrated Curtis Joseph, but without the same results. (Surprised that Felix Potvin wasn't brought in to give it go.) Finally, the realization came that more than a warm body between the pipes, in addition to the future HOF skaters, was needed to facilitate the sipping of Champagne. That led to erstwhile All-World goalie, Dominik Hasek, netting them one more. With the Red Wings, though, it was easy to get star-struck. Enough years have passed to understand that coach Scotty Bowman might've deserved far more credit.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Justin Williams scored 76 points in 82 games that year as a 24 year old penalty killing forward. 30 goals. Named to the all star team this year. 25 goals and 48 points in 51 games.

Ray Whitney had 55 points in 63 games and battled injuries. He has 57 points in 51 games this year already. Probably the most underrated offensive player in the league.

Mark Recchi scored 64 points and had 28 goals while playing in every game for Pittsburgh and Carolina. Despite the fact that he's in the later stages of his career, he's a hall of fame player. 16 goals this year and just netted #500 tonight.

Doug Weight had 57 points in 70 games and was still the physical leader and offensive wizard that he always has been.

Even if you consider all of those players "2nd liners", how many teams out there had totally legit first liners for their first three lines anyways? Not to mention Matt Cullen who if you're going by the 2nd liner criteria fits there by his play last year.
If he was a 2nd line center, the Rangers wouldn't be trying to land Forsberg

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
While I can agree with people considering 93 Habs team bad, I just can't understand for the 86 one.

That team had in its lineup 4 HOF'er - future HOF'er (we can assume that Chris Chelios is gonna end up in the HHOF) (the others ones were Robinson, Gainey and Roy). The 1989-90 winning team of the Oilers had three future HOF'er, and one of them them didn't play a single playoff game (Fuhr). And there were recent winner who had even less HOF'er..
I'm not sure people are saying that team was bad. The question is whether that team was on par with other teams that have won the cup in the last couple of decades - and I'd argue it wasn't.

01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
frontsfan2005

The 1995 Devils should be up there for one of the worst teams to win the cup, (52 points in 48 games, on pace for 88 in an 82 game season), and failed to make the playoffs in 1996 after losing to Ottawa, who finished 18-59-5, in the final regular season game.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damannnnaa View Post
That is very true, but the Islanders did destroy them in the finals. As for Tampa, I don't consider them an upset for the cup at all. They were the first seed in the East-second place in the NHL. How on Earth is that weak? Their team was much better than it is now-if not for the salary cap they'd be a great team. They'd still have their big three, Boyle and their underrated Fedotenko. Add in Kubina and Khabiboulin. That's a pretty strong team.
If I recall, it wasn't until very late in the regular season that Detroit passed the Lightning in the standings to win the Presidents Trophy (Det 109 pts; TB 106 pts). If a team finishes second overall and first in their conference, they're a strong team.

There might be an arguement that Tampa over achieved during the 2003-04 season based on what they did before and after that season, but that year they were an elite team.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:46 PM
MuzikMachine

What about the '03 Devils?

Maybe I'm just still bitter about the Sens loosing in the ECF.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
If he was a 2nd line center, the Rangers wouldn't be trying to land Forsberg
Very true! But there is a reason the Rangers gave him a contract befitting a 2nd line center last year, and it's because he played like one for a majority of the year. He had to fight for his icetime and still posted a 50 point year with 25 goals.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Actually, montreal was as bad as the Leafs that year. Montreal had 77 points & the Leafs 75. chicago was the dominant regular season team that year with 94 points. agree that 67 Leafs were one of the worst wunners but Habs would have just been as bad.
Yes, it was the weakest Hab team in the late 60's and the only one that didn't win the Cup. For deprivng the Habs of a 2nd 5 year run and being able to display the Cup at Expo 67 I curse the Toronto Old Farts.

It's not hard to pick out teams that won the Cup that were not the most talented team the season they won but to discern the worst is . The Hurricanes had a lot of luck but they did take advantage of it.

Old
01-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Also, got to cast a vote for the 71 Habs, Missed the playoffs in 69-70, In 70-71 finished regular season behind Boston, New York & Chicago. Their playoff goalie (Dryden) had only played 6 NHL games. Had a lot of conflict, most notably between Richard & coack MacNeil).Upset Boston who was by far the best team that year. Beat Chicago in the final on a fluke goal. Habs were not a good team that year but still pulled it off.
The Habs of that year were a very, very good team but Boston was the better (more talented team). I consider the Mtl-Bos series to be the greatest series ever played (or at least the best I have seen). The entire team came back from 2-0 down to beat Boston. Dryden won the final against Chicago.

Old
01-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I Ron Butterfly

[QUOTE=shawnmullin;7799206]I'm certainly not willing to put the Canes in that position. Come on, they ran away with their division and had a very strong regular season. QUOTE]

Ran away with the worst divison in the league last year. That's 24 divisional games against non-playoff teams. And the one was Tampa in the 7 seed.

I Ron Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote