HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

GDT...1/26/07 NJ Devils @ TB Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2007, 09:36 PM
OptimismRestrainer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltaford View Post
Everyone back to their corners.
Mine's in the bedroom. Later.

Old
01-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I like pizza.

Last edited by Butchered: 01-26-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Sorry Mike, posted during your post.
Old
01-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltaford View Post
*Sigh* And to think some people came in here and gave us crap last week when we said watching a game against the Devils was like watching paint dry. I think our point was proven.
Find a way to beat it and its all good I guess.

Old
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

11-4-3.

Just saying.

Old
01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
nothingtosee
female fan

i dont understand how 1 - 0 games can be boring?!?!

silly people...

oh and empty net on our side = goal for the other team...we are nooot good like that

Old
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Something else to think about, I'm starting to agree with Chief. Too many times we sit there and guard the guy behind the net like he's going to somehow score through the net. I understand you can't just leave him there to do as he pleases, but when you park 2 guys beside the net, you always leave that man right in front of the net WIDE OPEN.

The lack of anything that could even be confused for a physical game is going to hurt this team in the long run.

Old
01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Tampa played tough. Couple of close calls on both sides. Please dont let your emotions get the best of you guys.

Both teams couldnt gel offensively. Hence the lack of scoring. And both teams played the neutral zone trap to the same extent.

Old
01-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Hockeyfan02

I'm not going to comment about whether I thought the game was entertaining or not because it's like an insult to one opposing fan's entire family if you do so I won't. I dvrd the game so there's a reason I'm posting this one so late.

Chalk that one up to Brodeur and the fact that Perrin seemed to be the only one having good chances before the 3rd period started. I really thought on that 3rd period PP they were going to get one in when they held the Devils PK out there so long. Holmqvist played well, he had no shot on that Gionta goal. Quiet night from Lecavalier and Marty. Brad played ok. Perrin had a bunch of good chances but couldn't find the back of the net. Game was very defensive, not much of either team getting chances until the 3rd (I apologize to who that may offend). The game on Tuesday against Philly is a must win. There is no excuse to get a loss in that game. If they play their game, they should get two points against the worst team in the league.

Old
01-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 11400
Awards:
Seems like the fans aren't the only ones who think Devils style is boring..

Quote:
That's how they win games," Lightning defenseman Dan Boyle said. "It's certainly not that exciting to watch, and it's not that exciting to play in, but they win games and they don't really care how it looks, as long as they win games."
http://www.tbo.com/sports/lightning/MGBJ1WLKFXE.html

Old
01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post

I change my opinion, I refuse to agree with Dan Boyle on anything.

Old
01-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post

You should have listen to the Red Wings Senior VP Jim Devellano who during the 2nd intermission who said he couldn't understand anyone who think that the Devils are boring and thought the 1-0 game after two was an exciting one despite the score, I would take his unbiased opinion over Boyle's any day of the week.

01-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

I'll take the word of the guy who was actually participating in the game in question.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
I'll take the word of the guy who was actually participating in the game in question.
You mean who lost? Do you really think Boyle would have made that comment if he won?

And Devellano was in attendance, if a future Hall of Famer says that the Devils are not playing boring hockey - an opinion also shared by Pierre McGuire as well - that's should be good enough for anyone.

The Lightning is a fun team to watch, but trust me, they are no more exciting than the Devils.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
<lurk mode off>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
You mean who lost? Do you really think Boyle would have made that comment if he won?
Sure. Dan's a pretty honest guy, if asked I'm sure his response would be along the same lines.

Quote:
And Devellano was in attendance, if a future Hall of Famer says that the Devils are not playing boring hockey - an opinion also shared by Pierre McGuire as well - that's should be good enough for anyone.
So was Phil Esposito, who said the Devils style of play is boring. Very boring.

Quote:
The Lightning is a fun team to watch, but trust me, they are no more exciting than the Devils.
No bias in that opinion, of course.

As the old saying goes, methinks thou doth protest too much.

<lurk mode on>

Old
01-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Hockeyfan02

It's a matter of preference. Most Lightning fans on here don't like the way New Jersey plays. It's not because of the loss because the same comments were said about a week ago when the Lightning won the game. It's not being bitter, it's an opinion. I don't see many of the posters going "man, that game as boring" after all losses. Why do Devil fans constantly have to come over here and tell us that we should find the game exciting when some of us did not find the game to be exciting. You Devil fans find your team to be exciting? Hey, that's great. You like your team and that's to be expected. But please don't tell us how so and so feels they are exciting so we have to find them exciting and shouldn't call them boring. I'm sorry. I just don't like having people come over and tell us how we should feel about the game. Get over it. The Lightning have had the best record against the Devils for an Eastern Conference opponent since 01-02 so it's not like these opinions are made because the Lightning can't beat the Devils. It's a matter of preference to see how the game is played on the ice. Devil fans appreciate the style that wins their team games. Good for you guys, I have no problem with that. I'm not going to come over to your board and tell you how you should feel about how the Devils play. Just let us have our opinions instead of telling us how we should feel.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Quote:

The only thing I'm saying is that I personally thought the game was boring. I thought the game where we won last time was boring.

If Tampa played the same way and it got them wins, I'm sure it would be much more exciting to me. Devils fans love the way the Devils play, and I don't blame them. You get points in the standings, you get the wins, and that's fun. For me, as a fan of an opposing team that has recently beat the Devils in a game, and lost to the Devils in a game, I can say that without question, BOTH of the games were boring to me.

I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's my opinion, and I'm not alone. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
<lurk mode off>

Sure. Dan's a pretty honest guy, if asked I'm sure his response would be along the same lines.
I'm sure he's an honest man, but it doesn't mean it can't have sour grapes like everyone else who becomes a victim of the Devils and instead of manning up and pointing the finger at themselves make the Devils the whipping boys of the NHL.

Quote:
So was Phil Esposito, who said the Devils style of play is boring. Very boring.
The same Esposito who watched the Devils eliminate his Rangers - he was behind the bench in the final game of the season in 1987-88? Yeah, he has no axe to grind.

Quote:
No bias in that opinion, of course.
What exactly makes you guys more exciting? And lets keep in mind we have Brodeur playing goalie, and if you don't think he's worth the price of admission, then you really don't appreciate the finer points in hockey.

Quote:
As the old saying goes, methinks thou doth protest too much.

<lurk mode on>
When I see constant BS, I'm going to take it on, I could care less if it's ok with you.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Maria

The game was boring for me too, the Lightning are everything but boring, but for some reason when they play the Devils it makes me sleep, i wonder why??

Old
01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
It's a matter of preference. Most Lightning fans on here don't like the way New Jersey plays. It's not because of the loss because the same comments were said about a week ago when the Lightning won the game. It's not being bitter, it's an opinion. I don't see many of the posters going "man, that game as boring" after all losses. Why do Devil fans constantly have to come over here and tell us that we should find the game exciting when some of us did not find the game to be exciting. You Devil fans find your team to be exciting? Hey, that's great. You like your team and that's to be expected. But please don't tell us how so and so feels they are exciting so we have to find them exciting and shouldn't call them boring. I'm sorry. I just don't like having people come over and tell us how we should feel about the game. Get over it. The Lightning have had the best record against the Devils for an Eastern Conference opponent since 01-02 so it's not like these opinions are made because the Lightning can't beat the Devils. It's a matter of preference to see how the game is played on the ice. Devil fans appreciate the style that wins their team games. Good for you guys, I have no problem with that. I'm not going to come over to your board and tell you how you should feel about how the Devils play. Just let us have our opinions instead of telling us how we should feel.

I'm sorry if you think I am here to "unfairly" challenge your guys opinions, but when everytime we beat a team and instead of other posters giving accolades to a Devils team that plays the game the way it should be when sound defense, discipline and a team first approach, it gets quite frustrating that this gets ignored and instead we have to hear how "boring" our team is instead like this one:

Quote:
The game was boring for me too, the Lightning are everything but boring, but for some reason when they play the Devils it makes me sleep, i wonder why??
But I'll let you guys be with your opinions on us, flame away folks and a good night to all and peace.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
[QUOTE=Lou is God;7808371]
Quote:
The same Esposito who watched the Devils eliminate his Rangers - he was behind the bench in the final game of the season in 1987-88? Yeah, he has no axe to grind.
You seriously think he sat there last night and thought to himself, oh, this team eliminated mine 20 years ago, I think I'll call them boring to get even?

Quote:
What exactly makes you guys more exciting?
Because if we score a goal in the first we don't proceed to play 40 minutes of not-to-lose hockey.

Quote:
And lets keep in mind we have Brodeur playing goalie, and if you don't think he's worth the price of admission, then you really don't appreciate the finer points in hockey.
If I'm not mistaken, personal attacks are against HF rules. Be that as it may, to my knowledge neither I nor anyone else in this forum has ever said Martin Brodeur is boring. Quite the contrary. Unquestionably the best in the league -- perhaps ever.

However, Brodeur being an exciting player does not make his team's style of play exciting.

Last edited by Boltsfan2029: 01-27-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos!
Old
01-27-2007, 03:37 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
I'm sorry if you think I am here to "unfairly" challenge your guys opinions, but when everytime we beat a team and instead of other posters giving accolades to a Devils team that plays the game the way it should be when sound defense, discipline and a team first approach, it gets quite frustrating that this gets ignored and instead we have to hear how "boring" our team is instead like this one:

But I'll let you guys be with your opinions on us, flame away folks and a good night to all and peace.

And honestly, what do you care what people think of your team? The Devils aren't playing for the respect of other teams fans, are they? If they cared they wouldn't be so boring to watch now would they? You're winning hockey games. I don't get it. If you find 60 minutes of trap exciting then great, but we don't. You should be asking yourself why you should care what we think. I don't give a damn what others think of my team, win or lose.

Your team is boring. They play boring games. When they don't play the Lightning I don't watch them even if they are the only game on that particular day. 100 Marty Brodeur's wouldn't change that and there is nothing you can say to change my mind and quite frankly, you shouldn't care too.

Last edited by OptimismRestrainer: 01-27-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a ****.
Old
01-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
but when everytime we beat a team and instead of other posters giving accolades to a Devils team that plays the game the way it should be when sound defense, discipline and a team first approach
That's your opinion. You mean you don't like it when your team doesn't get accolades for a victory? Kind of like how Devil fans on this board gave no credit to the Lightning for a win in the 03 series, but blamed the ref for correctly catching the Devils make a late line change which led to a goal. Have to remember that one: give opposing team credit (like I did giving Brodeur credit for a great game and both teams for their solid defensive play), just don't expect the same in return. I figured digging up that history makes as much sense as calling Esposito bitter for calling the Devils boring for a loss that took place almost twenty years ago.

Old
01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
That's your opinion. You mean you don't like it when your team doesn't get accolades for a victory? Kind of like how Devil fans on this board gave no credit to the Lightning for a win in the 03 series, but blamed the ref for correctly catching the Devils make a late line change which led to a goal. Have to remember that one: give opposing team credit (like I did giving Brodeur credit for a great game and both teams for their solid defensive play), just don't expect the same in return.
I wasn't even a member when that happened, that's how far back you had to go. Plus I never said that Devils posters were not limited to sour grapes, but do keep in mind that me and some other veteran Devils posters have always taken them to task when we see that happen and told them to credit where credit is due. In fact you will hardly see any Devils posters blame the refs now or anything else for that matter. I'm not suggesting we are above anyone but more like we have been victims of other teams posters constantly trying to discredit our success because of jealousy and sour grapes and we rather not stoop to that level. I mean you got one poster above who admittedly hardly watches the Devils play unless they play his team but yet is so certain they are soooo boring despite the fact by his own assertions he hadn't seen them play this year until last week.

Old
01-27-2007, 04:43 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
I wasn't even a member when that happened, that's how far back you had to go. Plus I never said that Devils posters were not limited to sour grapes, but do keep in mind that me and some other veteran Devils posters have always taken them to task when we see that happen and told them to credit where credit is due. In fact you will hardly see any Devils posters blame the refs now or anything else for that matter. I'm not suggesting we are above anyone but more like we have been victims of other teams posters constantly trying to discredit our success because of jealousy and sour grapes and we rather not stoop to that level. I mean you got one poster above who admittedly hardly watches the Devils play unless they play his team but yet is so certain they are soooo boring despite the fact by his own assertions he hadn't seen them play this year until last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I actually thought they did deserve to win. I thought they played a very good game. Brodeur was the difference. That save on Prospal in the last few minutes is just typical for that guy..

I said that. That's as much accolades as I give anyone so get over it already.

Now, have you ever thought there would be a reason I don't watch the Devils? I watch about a ton of hockey every week (ask my wife). I used to watch the Devils all the time when I lived up there and I thought they were boring then. The reason I don't watch them now is not because I don't know anything about them it's because I know HOW they play from watching them enough in the past to form that opinion. I didn't watch them play the Devils once and say "Wow, the Devils are so boring I am never watching them play again unless they play the Lightning." I have been watching hockey like it's a religion since 1976 and I can tell you that a team has never, ever put me to sleep during a game EXCEPT the New Jersey Devils. And lastly, I have absolutley nothing to be jealous of. You might get away with that on teams boards that suck and have never won anything but the Lightning are a winning team that are fun and exciting to watch (for the most part). Jealously for any Lightning fan should never apply to the Devils. You won 3 Stanley Cups, big deal, you did it in the most non exciting way in the history of the league.

Old
01-27-2007, 04:50 PM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
I thought trolling was against the TOS?

Closed Thread