HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Calgary Sun Article On Martin Gelinas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2007, 10:31 AM
  #1
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Calgary Sun Article On Martin Gelinas

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...52174-sun.html

I gotta say, Eric Francis does make some good points.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:16 PM
  #2
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Would love to see Gelinas in a Flames uniform for the remainder of the season. 4th or 5th would definitely be worth Gelinas, not sure if that's truly what the Panthers are shopping him for however.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
  #3
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Gelinas would be a waste of icetime. When he was on the Flames we had NO real LWs. Now we have Tanguay and Huselius. Gelinas is not suited for the bottom line roles...its like playing Amonte on the bottom line..it just doesnt work. Gelinas will not be as effect as he was before unless given a top 6 role as well, and he wont get it. Flames need energy guys and depth guys like Hagman, Neil, etc.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
  #4
natural420*
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
amonte on the top lines dosent work either though, at least gelinas is capible of finnishing plays. at least alot more capible then amonte. i dont remember what game it was that amonte had literally 4 or 5 good scoring chances and missed the net/fanned/whatever. i think gelinas is a better option then amonte and if he can be had for one of our 4 garbage players(friesen, mccarty, lundmark, zyuzin), amonte, or a late round draft pick go for it.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:44 AM
  #5
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Patrick - Flames Fan;7802115]Gelinas would be a waste of icetime. QUOTE]

Personally I think he would do fine in a third line role... he's only getting 12 minutes of ice in Florida and has put up 21 points... rather see him get Friesen's time since Friesen currently has a comparable amount of ice.. Maybe bump Friesen to the 4th line and keep him on the PK where he has been somewhat effective?

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
  #6
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Puckz;7804822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Gelinas would be a waste of icetime. QUOTE]

Personally I think he would do fine in a third line role... he's only getting 12 minutes of ice in Florida and has put up 21 points... rather see him get Friesen's time since Friesen currently has a comparable amount of ice.. Maybe bump Friesen to the 4th line and keep him on the PK where he has been somewhat effective?
WHen people think of Gelinas...they are thinking of him scoring all the clutch goals...he did that on the top line....he wont be on the top line, he wont be scoring the clutch goals.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
  #7
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Patrick - Flames Fan;7805807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post

WHen people think of Gelinas...they are thinking of him scoring all the clutch goals...he did that on the top line....he wont be on the top line, he wont be scoring the clutch goals.
exactly... thats why i say take a run at Roberts... he has the ability to play on the 2nd line if needed... and in a 3rd line role he has enough ability to improve the scoring from that line...

Gelinas is a 3rd liner.. he plays at a 3rd line level but can step it up when he is playing with better players... Roberts is pretty much a 2nd liner now... but he has the ability to make players with him better

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:08 PM
  #8
natural420*
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
i would rather have kobasew or huselius on our second line then roberts and gelinas no doubt. if were are going to get another forward he has gotta be a top liner to be good enough to push one our top guys out. or he has gotta be a good third liner. i really like our top 6 right now, and dont wanna have to mess that up to make room for gelinas or roberts. they may be a hell of alot better then amonte (why he was getting top line ice time is beyond me ) but they arent good enough anymore to make our top 6. (if everyones healthy of course)

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
  #9
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
i would rather have kobasew or huselius on our second line then roberts and gelinas no doubt. if were are going to get another forward he has gotta be a top liner to be good enough to push one our top guys out. or he has gotta be a good third liner. i really like our top 6 right now, and dont wanna have to mess that up to make room for gelinas or roberts. they may be a hell of alot better then amonte (why he was getting top line ice time is beyond me ) but they arent good enough anymore to make our top 6. (if everyones healthy of course)
Roberts would make an excellent 3rd line winger... he would be good to have on the 3rd line because he would bury some of the chances Yelle creates... which is something that Nilson/Friesen arent doing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:56 AM
  #10
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
That actually was a good article. Certainly, Roberts or Forsberg would make a bigger splash. Gelinas would effectively replace Freisen, which nobody should object to, especially since both would be off the books after the end of this season. Nystrom should assume the 3rd line LW role for '07-'08.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
  #11
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
That actually was a good article. Certainly, Roberts or Forsberg would make a bigger splash. Gelinas would effectively replace Freisen, which nobody should object to, especially since both would be off the books after the end of this season. Nystrom should assume the 3rd line LW role for '07-'08.
except if he replaced Friesen he would be bouncing between 3rd and 4th line and would likely have just as poor of numbers with less speed... i don't see why the team would carry another guy to not score for leadership/defensive/PK purposes... isnt that pretty much the role of everyone on our 3rd and 4th lines already?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:34 PM
  #12
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
except if he replaced Friesen he would be bouncing between 3rd and 4th line and would likely have just as poor of numbers with less speed... i don't see why the team would carry another guy to not score for leadership/defensive/PK purposes... isnt that pretty much the role of everyone on our 3rd and 4th lines already?
Because they're a higher potential for dividends to pay off with Gelinas. He's not exactly a floater during the regular season, but has consistently demonstrated the ability to elevate his play during the post-season throughout his career. If he still has that scoring touch, and he's always had decent hands, there's no reason that he can't occasionally be given more minutes and PP time. It would also be insurance, in case Huselius gets an occasional bout of deer-in-headlights against tough defenders in the playoffs.

This place and CP used to include huge Alberata cheering sections for Dean McAmmond, whom Gelinas effectively replaced. Gelinas has finishing skills that McAmmond wished he had. Friesen is obviously not the same player he was a few years ago, and there's no reason to believe he's going to regain that form.

Besides, this is all speculative. It may not even happen, but if it did, it would in no way harm the club.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
  #13
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Because they're a higher potential for dividends to pay off with Gelinas. He's not exactly a floater during the regular season, but has consistently demonstrated the ability to elevate his play during the post-season throughout his career. If he still has that scoring touch, and he's always had decent hands, there's no reason that he can't occasionally be given more minutes and PP time. It would also be insurance, in case Huselius gets an occasional bout of deer-in-headlights against tough defenders in the playoffs.

This place and CP used to include huge Alberata cheering sections for Dean McAmmond, whom Gelinas effectively replaced. Gelinas has finishing skills that McAmmond wished he had. Friesen is obviously not the same player he was a few years ago, and there's no reason to believe he's going to regain that form.

Besides, this is all speculative. It may not even happen, but if it did, it would in no way harm the club.
i wasnt meaning it would hurt the club... just saying i think it will be a lateral move at best... and if anything it will keep someone like moss out of the lineup when everyone is healthy

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:07 AM
  #14
Cactus Jack
Registered User
 
Cactus Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Gelinas is only being named because of the big goals he scored in 04 and there's nothing wrong with that. However, there are a few problems here. Eric Francis, while a local homer and l like that, is the same moron that said he would be the first to declare the Flames won't make the playoffs this year. Actually, Gelinas isn't a bad fit, as this team really needs an upgrade or boost on the bottom two lines. Aside from guys like Yelle, Nilson, Moss, and Amonte, we're a little weak. Gelinuts is a good option, so l wouldn't mind if we gave up next to nothing to get him. Roberts would be the better fit, but l've heard he would never come back to Calgary. I don't know, either way, GO FLAMES GO!!!

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
  #15
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Eric Francis, while a local homer and l like that, is the same moron that said he would be the first to declare the Flames won't make the playoffs this year.




So how does everyone feel about the thought of getting Gelinas back, now that we got Conroy?

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:22 AM
  #16
natural420*
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
getting conroy > getting gelinas


natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:30 PM
  #17
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Now with Conroy getting Gelinas would cost Kobasew, Moss or Ritchie their spot in the lineup (I have counted Friesen out too).

I'll pass. I'd rather have any of those three on the 3rd/4th line ahead of Gelly.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.