HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Every team's worst trade

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 01:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Oops, you're right. Samuelsson's probably worse.

The trade was Nedved and Zubov for Robitaille and Samuelsson

12-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBoy
Question: How did Tampa get the Lecavalier pick from San Jose?

WOW, never even knew that Lecavalier wasnt take with the Tampa pick.
Florida actually had the #1 pick that year, but they traded it to San Jose for Viktor Kozlov. When the Sharks traded for Bryan Marchment later on in the year, they agreed to flip the Florida pick to Tampa Bay if it was a higher pick, and sure enough, it turned into the number one, Lecavalier

Old
12-05-2003, 01:14 PM
tmg

Quote:
Question: How did Tampa get the Lecavalier pick from San Jose?

WOW, never even knew that Lecavalier wasnt take with the Tampa pick.
San Jose traded the #1 pick (Lecavalier) for the #3 (Brad Stuart) and the #29 (Jonathan Cheechoo).

Erk, sorry, nevermind. The post above mine described how the Lecavalier dealie worked. Then San Jose traded that #2 pick (Legwand) for the #3 and #29. Oopsie.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
No so. Washington didn't match the offer St. Louis made to Stevens and took the 5 1sts instead. St.Louis is the team that lost Stevens due to the Shany signing.
D-oh, I got it all mixed up.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Malefic74

Washington's recent dump of Konowalchuk was pretty bad. If you're counting free agency losses too...

Toronto lets Jason Smith walk.

Atlanta lets Steve Staois walk.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I don't care what Calgary and Colorado did after the trades, they still lost big time on the trades.
Well it's too bad that you feel that way, because the teams make those trades to get them a Cup. And they did, so more power to them. To borrow a phrase, "you play the game to win."

Old
12-05-2003, 01:31 PM
WhalerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
it's confusing. somehow Nashville was involved too. all i know is that San Jose had the 1st overall pick, and in the end, they had Bryan Marchment and Dave Lowry. oooh, that one stings, Jim.
TSN SAYS...Tampa Bay Lightning traded Bryan Marchment, David Shaw and 1st round selection (later traded to the Nashville Predators - David Legwand) in 1998 to the San Jose Sharks for Andrei Nazarov and 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Florida Panthers - Vincent Lecavalier) in 1998.

So, Tampa was the last place team in 97-98. But Florida's pick went first. Cant figure that out. Maybe TBay as expansion wasnt allowed to pick 1st in its first 2 years?

Florida trades its #1 overall pick to SJ, SJ sends it to Tampa for Tampa's, which was the 2nd overall, and then San Jose trades the #2 overall to Nashville sometime before the draft for????

love this stuff, never gets dull for me!

Old
12-05-2003, 01:36 PM
WhalerBoy

oh, and I guess Nashville and San Jose traded their picks. San Jose took Stuart 3rd, Nashville took Legwand.

oops, now i got stumped. GOT IT NOW. Legwand for Stuart and Cheechoo.

Kinda cool, maybe a proposal for today??????

Old
12-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Nashville - Ronning to LA for Karalahti.
If it makes you feel any better. He didn't do jack (censored) in LA.

Both teams lost in that trade

Old
12-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
If you're counting free agency losses too...

Toronto lets Jason Smith walk.
Toronto got a 2nd and a 4th from Edmonton for Smith.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
So, Tampa was the last place team in 97-98. But Florida's pick went first. Cant figure that out. Maybe TBay as expansion wasnt allowed to pick 1st in its first 2 years?

Florida trades its #1 overall pick to SJ, SJ sends it to Tampa for Tampa's, which was the 2nd overall, and then San Jose trades the #2 overall to Nashville sometime before the draft for????

love this stuff, never gets dull for me!

November 13th, 1997: San Jose trades Viktor Kozlov and a 5th to Florida for Dave Lowry and their 1st.

March 24, 1998: Trade deadline deal. San Jose sends Andrei Nazarov to Tampa for Bryan Marchment and David Shaw. Tampa also gets the right to swap its first with Florida's.

Draft lottery: Florida gets the #1 pick. Tampa gets #2. Tampa has the right to swap and they use it. Tampa now is #1, San Jose #2, Nashville #3.

Draft day 1998: Nashville trades #3 and #29 to San Jose for #2. Nashville gets David Legwand. San Jose gets Brad Stuart and Jonathan Cheechoo.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:20 PM
leafaholix*

To Tampa Bay: Ruslan Fedotenko, 2nd Round Pick (Adam Henrich)
To Philadelphia: 1st Round Pick (Joni Pitkanen)

Old
12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Philadelphia: Trading Maxime Ouelett and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in the 2002 draft for Adam Oates
bingo! IMO, that beats the Lindros deal by a mile. Lindros won a hart trophy and was the best player in the game until he suffered the concusions.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:30 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Tom Kurvers for the Scott Niedermayer pick.

The trade to get (I think) Wendel Clark which cost us the Luongo pick.

Some recent ones which stand out. Obviously there are quite a few from the Balard era, to put it mildly. Trading Jason Smith and waiving Steve Sullivan wasn't the best decision either in hindsight.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:32 PM
arnab

Chris Pronger

Anyone remember the details of the Pronger trade?
So Scott Stevens turned into Chris Pronger via Brendan Shanahan

Last edited by arnab: 12-05-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old
12-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Until someone else can think of a worse one, I volunteer the Devils trading Steve Sullivan, Jason Smith, and Alyn McCauley to Toronto for Doug Gilmour and Dave Ellett.
This was an okay trade at the time for the Devils. Gilmour was towards the end of his prime was a decent rental for a year and a half. Devils needed a #1 center at the time, plus this was the year after we missed the playoffs.

I don't think Sullivan would have ever gotten decent ice time in New Jersey, although he was always a fun guy to watch. Toronto waived Sullivan, Chicago picked him up and Sully's flourished since. Likewise, Jason Smith didn't become the player he is today until he got dealt again to Edmonton. McCauley unfortunately got sidetracked in his development because of concussion problems.

If there's one really bad trade that Lou pulled off:

Claude Lemieux for Steve Thomas

This happened after Lemieux got the Conn Smythe. Subsequently, the Devils miss the playoffs and Claude wins another Cup in Colorado. Thomas didn't do much as a Devil, but went on to have a couple great years with the Leafs. We had to sacrifice Brian Rolston a few years later to get Claude back.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab
Chris Pronger for Brendan Shanahan. That was it.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab
So Scott Stevens turned into Chris Pronger via Brendan Shanahan
St. Louis: Scott Stevens
Washington: 5 first rounders

St. Louis: Brendan Shanahan
New Jersey: Scott Stevens

St. Louis: Chris Pronger
Hartford: Brendan Shanahan

Old
12-05-2003, 02:42 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
St. Louis: Scott Stevens
Washington: 5 first rounders

St. Louis: Brendan Shanahan
New Jersey: Scott Stevens

St. Louis: Chris Pronger
Hartford: Brendan Shanahan
The whole thing also cost the Blues the right for the Devils to swap picks with the Blues, which they did this draft. This was for the tampering charges after some bonehead in the Blues office somehow managed to not hide documents which proved the Blues had offered Stevens a contract before he became a FA...

Old
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
The whole thing also cost the Blues the right for the Devils to swap picks with the Blues, which they did this draft. This was for the tampering charges after some bonehead in the Blues office somehow managed to not hide documents which proved the Blues had offered Stevens a contract before he became a FA...
Devils moved up to #22 this year and the Blues went down to #30 (D Shawn Belle). Devils were then able to move up to get Zach Parise at #17. Probably wouldn't have happened if we had still been picking at #30. If Parise pans out as we hope, we can thank the Blues one more time :p

We also claimed the Blues' 1st rounder in 2001, but traded it to Florida for 2 second rounders: LW Tuomas Pihlman and C Igor Pohanka (traded with Sykora to Anaheim. In the ECHL right now if I'm not mistaken). Florida ended up picking Lukas Krajicek.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Here's the Washington/Philadelphia trade in more detail!

Philadelphia receives:
Adam Oates

Washington receives:
Maxime Ouellet
1st Round Draft Pick
2nd Round Draft Pick
3rd Round Draft Pick

1st Round is traded to Dallas along with a 2nd round for the 13th overall and Alexander Semin is picked.

2nd round pick is Maxime Daigneault

3rd round pick is Derek Krestanovich

Can we say OUCH for Philadelphia?

Basically they gave Washington three of their top ten prospects and a good depth player for a postseason worth of Oates.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala

Can we say OUCH for Philadelphia?

Basically they gave Washington three of their top ten prospects and a good depth player for a postseason worth of Oates.
We'll see how good Semin, Daignault, Ouellet, etc all actually turn out. I honestly don't think Bobby Clarke really lost any sleep over it. Especially after he turned Fedotenko into Pitkanen.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Liquidrage*

The Flyers trade for Lindros was not the worst.

Until he got hurt, I wouldn't have traded him for all those players back.
He was the best player in the league, won an MVP, and probably would have won a few more had he not gotten hurt. Yes, he did eventually get hurt, but even if they hadn't traded for him they still wouldn't have won a cup. Giving up Foresberg hurts, but I'd still go with the Oates trade.

All that value (as listed above) for 2 months of renta-a-washed-up-center. Disgusting trade. Of course Clarke's fleeced the Canadians twice, Phoenix once, the Hurricans once, and Tampa once, so he's more then evened it back out.

Old
12-05-2003, 02:59 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Well given that Daigneault might start for the WJC and Ouellet is pushing for a job well...it was a huge steal for Washington. They can flip around and trade Daigneault or Ouellet (which ever plays better then the other) for some good players. I like both of these goalies and think they'll be pretty good in the NHL.

Old
12-05-2003, 03:11 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Anaheim - Selanne to San Jose
Edmonton: Messier to Edmonton, Weight to St. Louis
Montreal: Chelios to Chicago, Roy to Colorado
Phoenix/Winnipeg: Selanne trade to Anaheim
The Selanne to San Jose deal didn't turn out too badly really. Friesen and Shields (which in itself is awful, agreed) turned into Sykora (+ Damphousse and Commodore for Friesen and Tverdovsky), Niedermayer (for Damphousse and Commodore), and a 3rd (for Shields) if I'm not mistaken. So in the long run, its actually turned into a real nice return for the Ducks.

For the Ducks I'd say Leopold for Nazarov and a 2ndwould be the worst I can think of.

Edmonton has to be the Gretzky trade. I don't care how the picks turned out. It was just awful. Tore my heart out.

I'd put the Leclair and Desjardins for Recchi near the top of the habs list.

The Selanne trade to Winnipeg was pretty bad for the Jets, but at the time it didn't look half bad. Two absolute blue-chip, future all-star players for Selanne. It would be a little like the Panthers dealing Horton and Bouwmeester for someone like Naslund (may sound a bit preposterous, but Tverdovsky was being called the "Russian Orr", and Kilger was considered a potential franchise center). Of course, Kilger busted, and Tverdovsky never came around in the organization.

I'd rank Stu Barnes for Randy Gilhen, Kris Draper for a dollar, and Babych for Ray Neufeld among the worst, but the Selanne deal was absolutely a heart-breaker. He was absolutely loved here.

Closed Thread