Trade possibilities...

Old
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
toph2o

vCash: 500
Trade possibilities...

Per ESPN's Scott Burnside:

Quote:
GM Don Waddell's style is to be patient and conservative when it comes to these matters, but his team is in a place it's never been in terms of potential. The Thrashers will reach the playoffs for the first time this spring, likely as a division winner, and the potential for a long playoff run is there. But the Thrashers are weak down the middle. Steve Rucchin and Bobby Holik are both valuable pieces to the team's playoff puzzle, but they are not dynamic enough to adequately support offensive stars like Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk and Slava Kozlov.

Another concern is finding someone to quarterback the team's middling power play, which ranks 19th. Add Peter Forsberg to the mix and the Thrashers instantly would make themselves a Cup contender. The Thrashers, who have the cap room to make such a move, will have to decide if the cost (perhaps defensive prospect Braydon Coburn or one of a handful of promising young prospects) is worth it. If Forsberg is out of reach, look for Waddell to target Craig Conroy in the hopes the forward can regain his offensive touch.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2743811

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I think Conroy may be done...but I guess that remains to be seen, he's on a horrible team, which could be the reason for his poor play.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
StevenintheATL

As much as it intrigues me that they could possibly deal for him, what the Thrashers would have to give up to essentially rent Forsberg for the rest of the season is too much. I think DW can get Conroy cheaper than Forsberg.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Clones*

What would it take for Robert Lang. Would Detroit give him up?

Clones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Hey all,
Just wanted to see what you guys viewed Conroy's value at. With the Kings in need of young D-men, what do you guys see as a realistic return for conroy? thanks in advance

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
ATLien

Quote:
As much as it intrigues me that they could possibly deal for him, what the Thrashers would have to give up to essentially rent Forsberg for the rest of the season is too much

Foppa would make us an instant contender. Why are we going to the playoffs? to say we went to the playoffs? Hell no! We are going there to win, and this team would be positively scary with Peter on board. Bringing him in would also keep him off other teams in the East, namely the Rags and the Habs, who would be equally scary w/Forsberg.

I am in no way saying that we should mortgage our future, and I'm a big fan of Coburn; but would I trade him for a trip to the finals and a chance at the Cup? In a heartbeat.

ATLien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuiz98 View Post
Hey all,
Just wanted to see what you guys viewed Conroy's value at. With the Kings in need of young D-men, what do you guys see as a realistic return for conroy? thanks in advance
I don't want Conroy. With all the holes we will have on D next year (look at our upcoming UFA's) it makes no sense to give away a d prospect.

If L.A. wants good young d in their system, they should use this years high draft pick wisely.

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37 View Post
With all the holes we will have on D next year (look at our upcoming UFA's) it makes no sense to give away a d prospect.
Do you realize how many D prospects the Thrashers have turning pro next year? Four. Five if they can get Nikulin to come over. They will be overloaded in the fall.

Two holes on D will be filled by Coburn and Popovic, who weren't in the top six to start the season. No one else is likely to step right onto the team (Nikulin and Enstrom being the most likely, but still unlikely).

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Holly, what about Valabik? Do you think he has a chance of getting onto the team next year?

Old
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Holly Gunning

Make that five, possibly six. I forgot Zubarev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Holly, what about Valabik? Do you think he has a chance of getting onto the team next year?
No, not with Coburn and Popovic making it. That's too much youth.

Old
01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
toph2o

And that's one reason why Valabik may get moved. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his, and would love to see how he develops, but as Holly said, there will be a serious glut at D real soon, and if you can trade Valabik + a pick for Forsberg and a run at the Cup, it becomes very tempting.

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post

Foppa would make us an instant contender. Why are we going to the playoffs? to say we went to the playoffs? Hell no! We are going there to win, and this team would be positively scary with Peter on board..
Only if he stays healthy, and that is not probable, otherwise he is just an anchor on our salary cap... Of course I would instantly take injury free Foppa...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Im not so sure I want Forsberg on the Thrash. He's nearly as bad as Eric Lindros when it comes to injuries....Id rather pick up someone who's gonna stay healthy.

Old
01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If Hossa is out for a while, DW is going to have to do something big.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Lux Aurumque*

^ Let's just...not think about that right now.

Old
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Do you realize how many D prospects the Thrashers have turning pro next year? Four. Five if they can get Nikulin to come over. They will be overloaded in the fall.

Two holes on D will be filled by Coburn and Popovic, who weren't in the top six to start the season. No one else is likely to step right onto the team (Nikulin and Enstrom being the most likely, but still unlikely).
Good points. I was specifically thinking of Coburn, Valabik, and Lewis. Plus I really don't want Conroy.

Do you think Lewis has a shot at making the big team next year? .

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Lux Aurumque*

^ Probably not, for the same reasons Holly listed against Valabik.

Old
01-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37 View Post
Good points. I was specifically thinking of Coburn, Valabik, and Lewis. Plus I really don't want Conroy.

Do you think Lewis has a shot at making the big team next year? .
I would think Denny will have a better chance.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
nfieldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Im not so sure I want Forsberg on the Thrash. He's nearly as bad as Eric Lindros when it comes to injuries....Id rather pick up someone who's gonna stay healthy.
But, remember, if it's only Rent-a-Center. We only need him to
stay healthy for 4+ months. Plus, he worked with BH on the Avs,
right? That seemed to work out pretty well.

nfieldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:11 AM
ATLien

Quote:
He's nearly as bad as Eric Lindros when it comes to injuries..
The man played with a ruptured spleen, in Colorado. He is a freakin' viking man! Nevermind the foot injury he's played through this year.

I think the major difference between here and Philly is that he won't be expected to carry the team. 70% Peter Forsberg>100% Craig Conroy.

Old
01-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristelune View Post
I would think Denny will have a better chance.
Denny has talent, but it's very raw. He'll need to work on his game in the minors for a couple years.

Almost no one makes an NHL roster straight out of junior. Especially not defensemen.

The most likely young defensemen to stick would be Nikulin, Enstrom, Valabik, Oystrick and then Lewis. Remember Nikulin and Enstrom are older, and coming from men's leagues. That makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 01-27-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old
01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Isles72

hey guys , just wondering who the odd man out is when Sutton returns to the blueline .

or , does his return open up trade possibilities

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:17 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
hey guys , just wondering who the odd man out is when Sutton returns to the blueline .

I hate to say it because I like him a lot, but I think Shane Hnidy will be finding his way to a press box near you once Sutton comes back

The Sneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:29 PM
ATLien

Quote:

I think its either Coburn or Macarthy. I think it also opens trade possibilities.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
I think its either Coburn or Macarthy. I think it also opens trade possibilities.
Coburn sat last night because of McCarthy's return. I have to agree with Sneak and say it is probably Hnidy. McCarthy will probably be the PP QB until we make a trade for one. Hnidy only got the ice time he did because of the injuries.

If DW wants to get something for one of his excess defenseman, he had better do it before all of the Canes defenseman get healthy.

Hey Holly, you said you think it is unlikely that Nikulin and Enstrom come over next year. When do you think they will come over or do you think they might never?

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote