Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade possibilities...

Old
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
The real problem is that Waddell thinks he has solved part of the problem by picking up Hamel off waivers and trading for Belanger(who was terrible vs. the Sens).

Will we get a defenseman...probably. But it will be a middle of the road player and Don will not give up much to get him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The most interesting part of it is that Nashville picked up Belanger to be a grinder, while still going after Forsberg...while DW picked up Belanger to be a Top 6 player.
I hadn't heard either of those scenarios. Where did Waddell say that?

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe View Post
It's a simple formula: Superior GM and coach, good drafting and targeted (smart) free agent pickups from the beginning. Same formula for all expansion teams that were good quickly (Buffalo made the finals in 5th year in league).

Now look at the Thrashers...
Oh yes, Bobby Clarke, unheralded Jeanyus. Maybe the Atlanta Spirit should hire Clarkie to come run the team. And while Buffalo made the finals in '75 (when only 3 teams from each Conference didn't make the playoffs) they made if past the second round three times in the next 25 years. Let's make sure we put futility into perspective.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:25 PM
mackaveli

i hope DW thinks about getting Bertuzzi,

If we can't find a centre for Kovalchuk, i would take a gamble on Bertuzzi to play Wing with him. Bertuzzi would also help the PP and take mellanby's position on the first unit. Bertuzzi would create a screen in front of the goalie and can also play make if he wanted to with his nice hands. Obviously we have no idea how healthy bertuzzi is but he shouldn't cost as much since he hasn't played at all this year except for the first few weeks. I hope we think about getting Bertuzzi.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Oh yes, Bobby Clarke, unheralded Jeanyus. Maybe the Atlanta Spirit should hire Clarkie to come run the team. And while Buffalo made the finals in '75 (when only 3 teams from each Conference didn't make the playoffs) they made if past the second round three times in the next 25 years. Let's make sure we put futility into perspective.
Huh?

Bobby Clarke was never a genius--who said he was? Bud Poile was the Flyer GM that brought them from expansion to playoff. (Then he went to Vancouver and did it again!)

Buffalo was simply an example of how long it takes for an expansion team to make the playoffs. Don't like that one? How about:

1) Canucks: Playoffs in year 5
2) Panthers: Playoffs in year 3
3) Lightning: Playoffs year 4
4) Blues: Playoffs year 1
5) Whalers: Playoffs year 1
6) Penguins: Playoffs year 3
7) Islanders: Playoffs year 3
8) Ducks: Playoffs year 4
9) Jets: Playoffs year 3
10) Atlanta Flames: Playoffs year 2

Pick your era--the data turns out the same. Expansion teams usually see the playoffs by year 5. Remember DW's infamous 5 year plan?
Let's make sure we put the Thrashers' futility into perspective.

dunwoody_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
i hope DW thinks about getting Bertuzzi,

If we can't find a centre for Kovalchuk, i would take a gamble on Bertuzzi to play Wing with him. Bertuzzi would also help the PP and take mellanby's position on the first unit. Bertuzzi would create a screen in front of the goalie and can also play make if he wanted to with his nice hands. Obviously we have no idea how healthy bertuzzi is but he shouldn't cost as much since he hasn't played at all this year except for the first few weeks. I hope we think about getting Bertuzzi.
YES! Then let's send off Kovy and Hossa for Morrison and Naslund

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Obviously we have no idea how healthy bertuzzi is

that's all I need to know about that...

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Obviously we have no idea how healthy bertuzzi is

that's all I need to know about that...
yah but if bertuzzi can play before the deadline we should at least consider him. Since he hasn't played he shouldn't cost us a lot. I don't want to trade coburn, little or a 1st round pick for an UFA just to help the playoffs and i think Bertuzzi would come cheaper then anyone else that comes to mind. (you have anyone in particular you would want to play with kovalchuk??)

Old
02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
YES! Then let's send off Kovy and Hossa for Morrison and Naslund
yah lets do that,

Old
02-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

As ridiculous as it sounds, Bertuzzi could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of finding a decent linemate for Kovalchuk. I think those two would be great together. I'd imagine Bertuzzi will be playing like a man possessed when he comes back with his impending UFA status and all too.

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Call me crazy, but what about Marcel Hossa? Im not sure if the Rangers would trade him, but he's been stellar as of late, and I think he could boost our PK, plus (possibly?) be encouraged by playing with his brother.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Call me crazy, but what about Marcel Hossa? Im not sure if the Rangers would trade him, but he's been stellar as of late, and I think he could boost our PK, plus (possibly?) be encouraged by playing with his brother.
i was also thinking about this. but he has been hot of lately with like 4 goals in his last 5. He plays LW though so he wouldn't fit with kovalchuk,kozlov on the LW unless kozlov or marcel hossa could play RW and play with Kovalchuk? im not sure if Marcel hossa is playing RW now in NYR though with Jagr and straka?? (obviously i would want marcel to get top six minutes and not play on the 3rd or 4th line_

Also what is his contract status like? If he is a UFA i would definately try and target him because i also thought he would play much better being with his brother.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Lux Aurumque*

He's an RFA at the end of the season, and is currently making $600,000.

Maybe Kapanen and a 3rd? I'd do it.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
He's an RFA at the end of the season, and is currently making $600,000.

Maybe Kapanen and a 3rd? I'd do it.
yah i would too, but i don't know if NYR would do it. I would even do Slater for him straight up just so hartley couldn't play him anymore.

edit- maybe slater would be worth more so maybe NYR could throw a pick and i'd do it. Slater for hossa + 3rd or 4th i could care less haha.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Slater and a 3rd I'd do for Hossa and a 5th.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:11 AM
thrashers=cup05

I think if we are only going to get middle of the road players than we should get andrew brunett back. but i would like to have guerin or bertuzzi and at least one defense man.

thrashers=cup05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:49 AM
teme

Long term...

It is fairly obvious what is wrong with the roster, in order of importance:
1) Exactly one top three dman in Havelid, rest are OK in smaller roles. That is the teams needs to pick up two good dmen.
2) No legitimate #1 center.
3) Scoring depth on the whole.

Addressing these through trades or UFA market means altering the salary structure of the team. Here is my list:
1) Trade Holik. Nice guy to have, but way overpaid. I wouldn't expect that much in return, but with playoffs coming there should be interest. Someone at the trade boards mentioned Wings. Williams, Hudler and/or Filppula would be good additions now and long term to this team. There are almost too many dman prospects on the team, and Wings could probably use some, so perhaps some kind of package deal could be worked out. I'd also consider Lang for immediate needs.

2) This teams needs to have about $10 million available for two dman and a center, either via trade or UFA, come off-season. For that reason: Do not resign Devries or Sutton. Think hard about resigning Kozlov, the team needs a center/dman more than him. Rucchin would be OK for checking line role, but if cheaper replacement can be found, trade, wave or otherwise dump his salary.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Well, as you all know Foppa deal ain't happening... Nashville will be stroooong...
I think it's better this way... but we do still need a playmaking center...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
It is fairly obvious what is wrong with the roster, in order of importance:
1) Exactly one top three dman in Havelid, rest are OK in smaller roles. That is the teams needs to pick up two good dmen.
2) No legitimate #1 center.
3) Scoring depth on the whole.

Addressing these through trades or UFA market means altering the salary structure of the team. Here is my list:
1) Trade Holik. Nice guy to have, but way overpaid. I wouldn't expect that much in return, but with playoffs coming there should be interest. Someone at the trade boards mentioned Wings. Williams, Hudler and/or Filppula would be good additions now and long term to this team. There are almost too many dman prospects on the team, and Wings could probably use some, so perhaps some kind of package deal could be worked out. I'd also consider Lang for immediate needs.

2) This teams needs to have about $10 million available for two dman and a center, either via trade or UFA, come off-season. For that reason: Do not resign Devries or Sutton. Think hard about resigning Kozlov, the team needs a center/dman more than him. Rucchin would be OK for checking line role, but if cheaper replacement can be found, trade, wave or otherwise dump his salary.
I was thinking of this earlier. First off, I don't think $10m will be enough for 2 dmen and a center. It'll probably satisfy 1 dman and 1 center. I say we talk to the Kings about the price for Visnovsky and if it's too high try to nab Markov as a FA. Markov will command $5m, at least.

I say honestly, we get rid of Rucchin, Holik, DeVries. That alone frees up about 7M. I think Kapanen could be fine as a checking center - he's good defensively but has 0 offensive upside.

And then I say we make a run at Drury, Briere or Gomez. And then Markov. I think it's imperative that we get a #1 dman that can also QB our PP, which is why I say Markov more than a Phillips or that type of dman.

Then we'd have:

Kovalchuk-Gomez-Sim
Kozlov-Belanger-Hossa
Larsen-Kapanen-Vigier

4th line will be easy to fill with what's left.

D pairings:

Havelid-Markov
Exelby-McCarthy
Hnidy-Popovic/Coburn (these guys are ready)

Lehtonen
Hedberg

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Stevoinga

How about Kapaanen and Popovic to Blues for Brewer and a draft pick

Round of the draft pick negotiable of whether Brewer signs with Thrashers

Stevoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:52 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoinga View Post
How about Kapaanen and Popovic to Blues for Brewer and a draft pick

Round of the draft pick negotiable of whether Brewer signs with Thrashers
I think Brewer would cost more than that. But that being said, him with a FA would make this a very solid defense.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
zimthrasher

If Marcel and Marian played on the same team, would their jerseys say #18 Mari. Hossa and #81 Marc. Hossa???

zimthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
toph2o

I'd say label the sweaters, "Big Hossa" and "Little Hossa".

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Stevoinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers=cup05 View Post
I think if we are only going to get middle of the road players than we should get andrew brunett back. but i would like to have guerin or bertuzzi and at least one defense man.
Here....I'll stoke the rumour fire up a bit....
Popovic and a draft pick to St. Louis for Bill Guerin

Stevoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:00 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoinga View Post
Here....I'll stoke the rumour fire up a bit....
Popovic and a draft pick to St. Louis for Bill Guerin
Done, but I would rather have Tkachuk.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote