HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want Sens to meet in playoffs?

Old
01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Who do you want Sens to meet in playoffs?

In first round; let's divide into Group A, B, C, where:

A: teams we match well against, so we want to meet them
B: strong scarey teams that we'd want to avoid
C: not sure of them, could go either way

Let me start off:

A: Toronto, Tampa Bay, Pitts, NYI, Washington, Florida
B: Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta
C: Mtl, Boston, NYR

Provide reasons for your choice (which I didn't Cuz of lack of time right now)
But let me say: most of my decisions come from looking at their lineup, rather than historical reasons. I don;t like history: just because we did badly against such and such a team over the regular season or last playoff doesn;t mean we'll stink it up this time; players and teams change...

I may be very wrong about my fear of Carolina and Atlanta: those two, I am relying a bit too much on the history (the fact that Carolina won Cup last year, and the fact that Atlanta is doing well this year).

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
spoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

Let me start off:

But let me say: most of my decisions come from looking at their lineup, rather than historical reasons. I don;t like history: just because we did badly against such and such a team over the regular season or last playoff doesn;t mean we'll stink it up this time; players and teams change...

I may be very wrong about my fear of Carolina and Atlanta: those two, I am relying a bit too much on the history (the fact that Carolina won Cup last year, and the fact that Atlanta is doing well this year).
Problem,there's no way that toronto or boston will make the play-offs Other than that i want to face Buffalo for some revenge!!In pie form!!!

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Jovian

I will be happy so long as Ottawa makes the playoffs. Beggars can't be choosers!

Jovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Rico__Persson*

Couldn't care less who it will be.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Gesus

Toronto, Buffalo, Carolina, Detroit. Let's take the hard road to the cup, and slay some demons on the way.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:31 PM
OttawaGM

Want them to see 3 Eastern Teams, 1 Western Team and Gary Bettman as he hands them the Cup...

Not too picky beyond that

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
The Fuhr*

Anybody and I would love to go through both Buffalo and Carolina on our way to the cup.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Tony_S*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Want them to see 3 Eastern Teams, 1 Western Team and Gary Bettman as he hands them the Cup...

Not too picky beyond that
that would be nice

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Upsetting Buffalo would be awesome. Only NJ scares me, the rest we've got a good chance at.

Sting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Toronto
Buffalo
New Jersey

Anyone. Because if we beat those three. No one is going to stop us.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo15 View Post
Problem,there's no way that toronto or boston will make the play-offs Other than that i want to face Buffalo for some revenge!!In pie form!!!
Yeah Toronto is tied for 8th.

No way will they make the playoffs.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:44 PM
spoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinDomination View Post
Yeah Toronto is tied for 8th.

No way will they make the playoffs.
You just kind of proved my point for me anyway.First of all they're tied for 8th which means that they could lose that spot.And they don't have Wellwood,Tucker and Peca for a loooong time.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Anyone but New Jersey.

Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo15 View Post
You just kind of proved my point for me anyway.First of all they're tied for 8th which means that they could lose that spot.And they don't have Wellwood,Tucker and Peca for a loooong time.
Wellwood and Peca yes, Tucker no.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:34 PM
SENSible1*

Toronto is 12th in the conference in winning %. They could improve over the rest of the season, but I don't see it happening as it is a long shot at best with their injuries, weak goaltending and an overpaid D corps that can't play D.

There is only one team I'd prefer to see Ottawa avoid...the Devils.

SENSible1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Mediocrity View Post
Anyone but New Jersey.
Yeah agree

As for playoff spots. We shouldn't be bragging. We;re not that far ahead of 8th place. What , like 8 pts? Few lopsided games, and we could be back down there.

I don't forsee it, but hell, anything can happen

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
rban*

My bad, I forgot NJ, which I'd put as a team to avoid. I'm surprised at some of the responses tho. The fact remains, that winning the Cup is partly luck of the draw: many times teams win it because they face weaker opposition, or the teams they face are banged up and have injuries, so I think it's critical that the Sens face weak teams in the beginning. It's not really true that if they manage to beat tough teams in the first few rounds, they'll be unbeatable at the Finals: more like they'll be too exhausted at the Finals, esp if their opponent had better luck and got to play weaker teams on their way thru.
Seriously, I am very surprised at the number of 'it doesn't matter who we face' answers.

Old
01-26-2007, 10:44 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

Let me start off:

A: Toronto, Tampa Bay, Pitts, NYI, Washington, Florida, NYR, Atlanta
B: Buffalo, Carolina, New Jersey
C: Mtl, Boston,

Group A:
I dont see Toronto making the playoff's but if we do play them (and i hope we do), I feel we have a playoff built team to beat them quite easily. With Tampa I can see a repeat of last year (minus Havlat), but once again we're a playoff built team IMO. I don't think Florida, NYI, or Washington make the playoffs (or if they do, I don't see them going past round 1); we'd beat NYR like we'd beat Tampa, while Atlanta and Pitts might look scary on paper (Atl much more), I feel we could handle both.

Group C:
Our 1st round matchup will likely be MTL if both teams stay at their current pace; in a 7 game series I'll say we'd win in 7 but could go either way really. Boston could be a mystery b/c the Sens could revert back to their early season form vs them (if they even make the playoffs).

Group B:
I'd really like to play Buffalo b/c I feel we'd pay them back for last year. I can really see our guys getting up for this series and shutting down the Sabres like they did to us last year. But I'd like to avoid them in round 1, would much rather take them out in round 2 or 3. Carolina and NJ are really the only 2 teams I don't want to face (moreso NJ). Carolina b/c they are the defending champs, and NJ b/c of Brodeur. Every year it seems we meet up with an allstar calibre goalie who shuts us down. This trend didn't happen last year, but I wouldn't want it to happen to them again this year.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:02 AM
freakin

can we meet Philly three times? cuz that would be nice.

realistically, Pittsburgh first round since it should be an entertaining if lopsided series. Toronto I just don't see making the playoffs. Buffalo second round (I kinda forsee a big slide the second half of the season) , then meeting the New Jersey Devils. Finally I'd love to see a Ottawa vs. Calgary finals.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Brandi

winning the cup is not luck.

hard work puts in you in good spot to play weaker teams in the playoffs. tha'ts not luck

but once playoff hit, it's anybodys game. regular season goes out the window

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:07 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
The team I dont want to meet is New Jersey.

Though if the Sens could beat them it would help to wipe away the memory of a certain day in May a few years back.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:36 AM
rban*

worried about NYR

The one I am not so sure about is Rangers. They seem to be beatable, but I'll tell you what worries me about them: their POTENTIAL for great forward depth. This season, Straka, Jagr, Shanahan are playing well and the other forwards are not, but if ever they get their 2nd and 3rd lines playing upto their capabilities, they could become somewhat like last year's Buffalo, with three deadly lines that can score seemingly at will. That's what makes Buffalo such a scarey team: you couldn't destroy them just by shutting down their first and second line, any one of them could put a dagger in your heart. NYR could become like that, too.

Looking at their forward lineup, I do fear them. Their D is nothing scarey, tho.

Tampa is the opposite: they blew wads of cash on three players (only two of whom are living up to the hype), so you shut down those two and you've basically shut down the whole team. That's why I don't fear them... they're just the Lecavalier-StLouis show.

Other than them, Carolina and NJ would be the ones to avoid. And as someone pointed out, Bruins and Mtl are somewhat of a mystery.

Old
01-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Skrymir

Teams are gointo look much different in a month after the trade dealine, so really not very useful to speculate on who we match up well against. Whoever the sens play I will be happy cause the sens will have made the playoffs despite an awful start to the season.

Personally I'd like the sens to play Montreal in the playoffs so we can build the rivalry.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:15 PM
A-Train in Motion

I don't think a run like this would be possible but:

Toronto, New Jersey, Buffalo, San Jose/Anahiem

If we went through this and came out on top I would be a very,very,very happy person. We would beat a province rival, the best goalie of all time, a very fast and smart team in Buffalo and finally projected cup winners.

A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
The Sanchise

Personally you guys would tear New Jersey to shreds. Brodeur is damn good but your scoring and team aspect will be way too much for Jersey to handle. I can see you guys play the Habs in the first round. That would be a good matchup for both teams as it is 2 relatively unknown goalies who are either being overrated half the time or underrated half the time.

If you beat the Habs chances are you will either get Jersey or Atlanta unless they both get upset.

If you get through that than you will have an unrealitvely named team that I will not mention as I will be called a homer

Really I have known since day one Ottawa vs Buffalo in the Conference finals. It is only a matter of time IMO. I will not predict it but it will be a very good series.

The Sanchise is offline   Reply With Quote