HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want Sens to meet in playoffs?

Old
01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
freakin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Personally you guys would tear New Jersey to shreds. Brodeur is damn good but your scoring and team aspect will be way too much for Jersey to handle.
I'm in the minority on here but I don't fear NJ one bit. (I sense the fear has more to do with the 03 Conference final more than anything) To me the feared teams (at the moment) go like this:

1. Carolina
2. Atlanta
3. Montreal
4. Boston (yes still, but they used to be higher on the list)
5. Buffalo
6. NJ
7. NY Rangers

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

To win the cup you have to beat the best anyway eventually, so doesnt really matter to me at all.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:44 PM
spoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinDomination View Post
Wellwood and Peca yes, Tucker no.
Tucker now has a cast on his left leg so he will be out for longer...

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

the anti parade planning committee has deemed this thread bad form and could throw contributors into the volcano without warning.

Id rather the Sens didnt concern themselves with who they are facing, but rather make everyone else worry about playing them.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:25 PM
fras123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinDomination View Post
Yeah Toronto is tied for 8th.

No way will they make the playoffs.
come crunch time toronto wont be able to beat the desperate teams. (goaltending)

teams i would want to stay away from; montreal, new jersey, atlanta

teams that should just give up if they face ottawa; toronto, tampa, pittsburg(no playoff experience)

everyone else isnt too important

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Bileur

I dont care. I just want to win.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
To win the cup you have to beat the best anyway eventually, so doesnt really matter to me at all.
Frequently the winner gets lucky and avoids one of their toughest foes in the conference. NyQuil had an excellent post about this a few weeks back.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
the anti parade planning committee has deemed this thread bad form and could throw contributors into the volcano without warning.

Id rather the Sens didnt concern themselves with who they are facing, but rather make everyone else worry about playing them.
I agree with everything about this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
I dont care. I just want to win.
And this one too.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:08 PM
freakin

The Sens=death on ice.

I came up with that myself.

clearly...

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
rban*

I don't agree that 'to win you'll need to beat the best anyway so it doesn;t matter'.

There's a helluva difference between meeting the best and toughest teams in the 3rd and 4th rounds, after you've demolished easily the first two round opponents, as opposed to going up against hard teams following a couple of gruelling rounds which go seven games and cause injuries and exhaustion to your best players. I'm telling you: winning Lord Stanley is a combination of talent, hard work AND luck. Never under-estimate the luck aspect, and this apsect has a LOT to do with how many or how few hard series you go thru. I think I read a stat once that said no team had EVER won the Cup after having to play 7-game series in each of the four rounds..there's a good reason for that stat.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
WW

I want to beat either Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver. Actually, any Western Conference team will do.

W

WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
JamesR

I think the only team I would want to avoid is Pittsburgh. This team wasn't suppose to compete for a playoff spot, let alone a position even as high as 5th or 6th. They have an amazing group of young talent that is maturing quickly, that combined with their uncertain future mean they have nothing to lose, which is scary. They could really turn some heads and do so major upsetting in the playoffs.

Of course I would want to play Toronto, if they can make it in. I think if Ottawa won the cup and we didn't play Toronto in the playoffs, Leaf fans would forever say "yeah you only won because you didn't play us!"

JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
Of course I would want to play Toronto, if they can make it in. I think if Ottawa won the cup and we didn't play Toronto in the playoffs, Leaf fans would forever say "yeah you only won because you didn't play us!"

Let them think that. I know I won't be shedding any tears as the parade goes down Bank Street thinking to myself, "If only we had beaten the Leafs on the way..." You win the Cup, you win the Cup. For all the teams that have won the Cup since 1967 and not beaten the Leafs along the way, which is most of them, do you think they feel those Cup wins were not as legitimate because they didn't beat the Leafs along the way??? Toronto is not the NHL and the NHL is not Toronto.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

I really hope the Sens meet the Habs some where in the playoffs, it would really add to the rivalry

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:05 PM
JamesR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Let them think that. I know I won't be shedding any tears as the parade goes down Bank Street thinking to myself, "If only we had beaten the Leafs on the way..." You win the Cup, you win the Cup. For all the teams that have won the Cup since 1967 and not beaten the Leafs along the way, which is most of them, do you think they feel those Cup wins were not as legitimate because they didn't beat the Leafs along the way??? Toronto is not the NHL and the NHL is not Toronto.
No, I know the Leafs are not the NHL by far ... It just all about the rivalry, and how we have never beaten them in the playoffs. I know alot of Leafs fans (some are friends and family) and I know they will say that the only reason we won the cup is because the Sens didn't face the Leafs in the playoffs, cause if they had the Leafs wouldve beaten then like always. Its basically just to silence all Leaf fans, it has nothing to do with beating the best teams on the Sens way to a Stanely Cup.

JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:33 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No, I know the Leafs are not the NHL by far ... It just all about the rivalry, and how we have never beaten them in the playoffs. I know alot of Leafs fans (some are friends and family) and I know they will say that the only reason we won the cup is because the Sens didn't face the Leafs in the playoffs, cause if they had the Leafs wouldve beaten then like always. Its basically just to silence all Leaf fans, it has nothing to do with beating the best teams on the Sens way to a Stanely Cup.
This years version of the Leafs-Sens teams/rivlary are much, much different then the versions of the early 2000's. Until we were to beat them, they'll have that 'upper' hand on us I suppose, but if you look at the 2 teams right now and if we go on to win the Cup without meeting them along the way, not too many educated fans would say we were lucky to avoid them or it would have been a repeat of years gone bye. We're clearly a better team and I'm not going to get into the banter about how we were the favourites everytime we played them, which is complete rubbish. It never ceased to amaze me over the years how Leaf fans would pick their team to beat us, but then when they did it, it was a pleasant surprise. Like, what an upset it was, ala David versus Goliath.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
No, I know the Leafs are not the NHL by far ... It just all about the rivalry, and how we have never beaten them in the playoffs. I know alot of Leafs fans (some are friends and family) and I know they will say that the only reason we won the cup is because the Sens didn't face the Leafs in the playoffs, cause if they had the Leafs wouldve beaten then like always. Its basically just to silence all Leaf fans,
I don't care about silencing Leaf fans. If they say that, they can stuff it. Seriously, you would just laugh in their faces.

Beating any one particular team doesn't matter. It's truly about where you end up in the playoffs, not how you got there.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Owen Wilsons Nose

hrm.. I'd just like to point out that i think i would seriously be much happier beating the leafs in the first round, then losing in the second round, than if we made it past the second round only to lose later on(but avoiding the leafs)

i hate those leafs with a passion and would love to send their ***** golfing..

The stanley cup is what i want, and if i dont get it the next best thing is beating the leafs.

Owen Wilsons Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:28 AM
D-Block

It doesn't matter who we face, aslong as we meet with buffalo in the 2nd round again. I just want a rematch, and I know the players probably do too. Come on buffalo, bring it.

D-Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:44 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Toronto
Buffalo
New Jersey

Anyone. Because if we beat those three. No one is going to stop us.
Not only that, It would shut those Leaf fans up for good.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Suiteness

Donít ask me why but Iím not worried AT ALL about Carolina. Their Stanley cup win was pretty much break after break after break. They didnít even deserve to make it past Montreal in the first round. Their goaltending is ok, Cam Ward played over his head last year. Heís good but heís not THAT good. .And Iím pretty sure thatís who Ottawa will end up playing in the first round.

I donít want to meet the Devils until the conference finals. I always pick the Devils to come out of the East and Iíve seen nothing to make me change that opinion this year.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Personally you guys would tear New Jersey to shreds. Brodeur is damn good but your scoring and team aspect will be way too much for Jersey to handle. I can see you guys play the Habs in the first round. That would be a good matchup for both teams as it is 2 relatively unknown goalies who are either being overrated half the time or underrated half the time.

If you beat the Habs chances are you will either get Jersey or Atlanta unless they both get upset.

If you get through that than you will have an unrealitvely named team that I will not mention as I will be called a homer

Really I have known since day one Ottawa vs Buffalo in the Conference finals. It is only a matter of time IMO. I will not predict it but it will be a very good series.
Thats funny, I don't see Buffalo or Ottawa in the conference finals myself. Montreal -New Jersey would be my prediction

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Yeah, I've already picked the Devils as my Eastern Conference contender.

Nashville for the West.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
rban*

I'm continually amazed by how many responses go along the lines of 'yeah I want to meet such and such a team to be able to beat them and MAKE a point', etc etc. As Sens fans, I think our only priority would be to want to meet teams that we think we can beat easily so that we have enough energy and health left to get the Cup.
Myself, I want the Cup and I know our chances if getting it rises exponentially if we meet along the way weak teams that don't give us too much trouble. I could care less about issues (or non-issues) like 'I wanna beat Buffalo to prove to them that last year was a fluke', or 'we must beat Toronto to prove that get rid of our ghosts'.

The only proof is hoisting the Cup, and we're less likely to hoist that Cup if we get banged up or exhausted in hard series against the likes of Buffalo, NJ, etc.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Thats funny, I don't see Buffalo or Ottawa in the conference finals myself. Montreal -New Jersey would be my prediction
I'm always puzzled by those Montreal picks to achieve anything in this league. 85% of their offense comes from a d-man with a big point shot on the power play. They have zero depth upfront, can barely score 5 on 5 and they have two #2 goalies. Can someone explain how this team is a threat?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote