HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Who do you want Sens to meet in playoffs?

Old
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I'm always puzzled by those Montreal picks to achieve anything in this league. 85% of their offense comes from a d-man with a big point shot on the power play. They have zero depth upfront, can barely score 5 on 5 and they have two #2 goalies. Can someone explain how this team is a threat?
Montreal does have some serious game breakers. They don't always show up for games, but someone like Kovalev has the ability to turn a series around himself. Guys like Koivu, Samsonov, Markov, all seem to play one great series where they are awesome and their goalie stands on their head. Montreal is one of those teams where they get a bit of momentum and it snowballs from there. They also have the ability to allow one setback to completely derail their team. I wouldn't want to face them in the 1st round, especially with all the added media hype.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:44 PM
senility

Team's I'd love to face in Round 1: Tampa, Pittsburgh, Toronto, NY Rangers, Washington, Boston, Florida

Teams I'm very confident we will beat, but would rather avoid in the 1st round: Montreal, Atlanta

Teams that I think have the potential to beat us: Buffalo, Carolina, New Jersey

I may be naive, but I still think that, if Emery plays at his best and the team sticks to the new more defensive system, we can beat anybody (in the east at least). Talk about a team with game breakers.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
rban*

Mtl and NYR do scare me with their potential to do damage. Craven pretty much hit the nail on the head about Mtl: their problem is they are inconsistent. But if their Kovalev & Samsonov do have a good series (moody Russians, who can predict?). watch out!
I think they have forwards like Koivu and Ryder and Higgins who always try hard and do a decent job; then they have the Russkie two-some who either do brilliantly or disappear.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Classless Goon
Witty User Title

I want to see the Maple Laughs... this rivalry could definitely use a playoff round...

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:45 PM
lambraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens_Commando View Post
I want to see the Maple Laughs... this rivalry could definitely use a playoff round...
You don't learn, I don't like the leafs but they kick your ass in playoff, am I right ?

lambraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Classless Goon
Witty User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambraf View Post
You don't learn, I don't like the leafs but they kick your ass in playoff, am I right ?
Yeah I know, but I think this year we could beat them.

The leafs are our playoffs demons and the Sens need to do some exorcising.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
rban*

I agree that we could whip Leafs this year, but what I worry about is the emotion and intensity, and goon-ishness with which they'll play us. I don't think it'd be a good tradeoff to beat them 4 games to 1, but have three or four of our best players injured for the next round.

Old
02-02-2007, 03:47 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I agree that we could whip Leafs this year, but what I worry about is the emotion and intensity, and goon-ishness with which they'll play us. I don't think it'd be a good tradeoff to beat them 4 games to 1, but have three or four of our best players injured for the next round.
I haven't looked it up, but my recollection is that we don't get injured in those series, they do. And that was always part of the problem. Some of our players where not willing to pay a price.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I'm always puzzled by those Montreal picks to achieve anything in this league. 85% of their offense comes from a d-man with a big point shot on the power play. They have zero depth upfront, can barely score 5 on 5 and they have two #2 goalies. Can someone explain how this team is a threat?
You probably failed math in high school. Souray's got 17 goals and MTL scored 154 goals this season which accounts for 11% of MTL's total. Now Souray has 14 PP goals which accounts for 26% of MTL's PP goals.

Saying that Huet's a #2 goalie is also saying Emery is a #2 goalie. Which in both cases, they are not.

Abby is also better then Gerber. Not to mention he's cheaper $$$

If you want to speak about depth, MTL as more depth in their farm team right now then Ottawa does. The only reason we can't bring up some of those players is because of the cap.

I'm looking forward to a Habs-Sens series. I can assure you of one thing, if it does happen, it won't be a sweep for either teams. Unless one team doesn't show up at all.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I haven't looked it up, but my recollection is that we don't get injured in those series, they do. And that was always part of the problem. Some of our players where not willing to pay a price.
Exactly. It's funny to look back on how both Ottawa and Toronto completely overhauled their teams to duplicate each others.

Back then, Toronto was a beast. Power and force, tough guys that did the dirty work. They weren't as skilled as Ottawa, but they rolled Ottawa's softies each and every year. In the regular season, Ottawa dominated with their skilled players and solid system.

Ottawa could was skilled and soft back then and couldn't or wouldn't do man to man battle with Toronto.

NOW, today you'll see that the Leafs have dumped the tough guys in favour of soft skilled guys to play like Ottawa did in regular seasons past.

Ottawa did the opposite by trading Euro's for NA's in almost every trade, bringing in a goon tougher than TO's best tough guy and bringing in a coach who enjoys some dirty stuff.

It's amazing how both teams look like each other from 6 years ago. Although Ottawa did get tough without giving up depth which is well managed.

I'd love to see another Battle of Ontario. This one would be lacklustre and short.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
I'd love to see another Battle of Ontario. This one would be lacklustre and short.
I've learned never to count my chickens. But if it worked out the way you think, it would be ... immensely satisfying.

Old
02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I've learned never to count my chickens. But if it worked out the way you think, it would be ... immensely satisfying.
Well don't put the pressure on me.

You were thinking it too.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
Well don't put the pressure on me.

You were thinking it too.
Only in the deepest, darkest, most secret places of my heart.

Old
02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
rban*

Rico, yes the sens added toughness and grit and dumped Euro-softies, but we hung onto a lot of skill as well... and the Leafs, IMHO, did not really do much to upgrade their skill level. Tucker is better than he used to be, so you might say they 'added' some skill there, but they subtracted Mogilny. They also lost Niuewendyk and Roberts (sandpaper and skill there ) and added who...Jeff O'Neil? They've got a few youngsters now (Stajan, Steen, Wellwood) who are still along way from being really skilled players.

I think the Leafs have lost toughness but have not added much if any skill. At least not with their forwards. Defense wise, I think they are better now (altho they haven't done well this year, but I think that's cuz of injuries and not having time to gell yet)..I think any team with McCabe, Kaberle, and Kubina has a good defense corps, and of course Peca is a very defensive forward as well.
Next year, providing they are healthy and Razor plays decently, Toronto will be a team that'll be hard as hell to score against..but will struggle to score goals themselves, so we'll still be able to beat them.