HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Brief Look at Next Season's Oilers

Old
01-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorting this mess

vCash: 500
The argument of whether or not the Oilers can spend up to the Budget is silly, they definately can, the only question is how much return does the EIG require on thier investment. it was mentioned earlier that the Oilers are the sixth highest grossing in the League, I had heard it was as high as fourth. so if the oilers can't spend up to the cap, then the current cap system doesn't work cause that means at least 24 - 26 teams also can't spend up to the cap

Last edited by Sorting this mess: 01-27-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Sorting this mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 03:47 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Just looking ahead to this offseason, and how much room we have, providing any moves we make between now and the deadline involve only draft picks, prospects, and UFAs. This is how it breaks down:

Players Under Contract:

Forwards (8)
Hemsky - $4.1M
Horcoff - $3.6M
Pisani - $2.5M
Lupul - $2.312M
Stoll - $2.2M
Moreau - $2M
Reasoner - $0.95M
Thoresen - $0.57M

Defencemen (4)
Smith - $1.976M
Staios - $2.7M
Bergeron - $1.064M
Smid - $0.915M

Goalies (1)
Roloson - $3.667M

Total (13) - $28.53M

This leaves us with about $15.5M to fill a roster, based on us having a $44M payroll

Fortunately, our 3 RFAs shouldn't be big money players:

- Winchester could likely be kept near the minimum, or traded and replaced with a minimum salary player.
- Greene around $1M or just over.
- Torres will probably end up with a similar contract to Stoll, I'd assume.

That gives us around $12M of cap space, and about 4 spots to fill. Obviously, re-signing Smyth, and bringing in a top 4 defenceman are going to take up the bulk of that, but the remaining spots are for the backup goalie and 4th line center, so even if Smyth and a top 4 defenceman end up costing us $10M for the pair, we can easily find a backup goalie and 4th line center (preferably LH) for under $2M. Keeping Sykora is another thing altogether.

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Reasoner - Lupul
Thoresen - ***** - Winchester

Top 4 defenceman - Smith
Smid - Staios
Bergeron - Greene

Roloson

Keep in mind, this is without any offseason trades, training camp surprises, or RFA offer sheets (I could definately see Torres getting one from a team like the Sharks).

What kind of things do you see happening in the offseason, and who do you see filling our final 2 (or 4) spots?

Ya, this is a solid anylisis for sure

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Shremp - Lupul
Thoresen - Reasoner - Winchester

Stuart - Smith
Smid - Staios
HEjda - Greene

Roloson
Dubnyk

They will go after Stuart. Pretty sure, and with his lack luster year in Boston he will be a steal. Also so long MAB.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, this is a solid anylisis for sure

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Shremp - Lupul
Thoresen - Reasoner - Winchester

Stuart - Smith
Smid - Staios
HEjda - Greene

Roloson
Dubnyk

They will go after Stuart. Pretty sure, and with his lack luster year in Boston he will be a steal. Also so long MAB.
I like the lineup you have next year for the most part although I wouldn't mind a different goalie between the pipes but thats for a different topic altogether and Roli is the best we've had here for a while so I won't go on with that. But saying Stuart is going to be a steal is very incorrect I think. He's one of, if not the most coveted defencemen available as a UFA this season. I'd be shocked if he didn't get a longterm deal worth ATLEAST 4.5 mill.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote