HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here Goes Nothing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2007, 03:34 AM
  #1
westcory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Here Goes Nothing

I have been a faithful Oilers fan since before I could tie my owns skates but this is getting ridiculous now. I am really starting to question the Oils front office and their ability to know anything about hockey! First of all let me preface this by saying I have coached up to minor junior level and played there too. Kevin Lowe has all the prospects and pics he needs to make a trade and shore up the blueline and we can see that players are available like Jackman who went to the Ducks. So quit saying there is nobody available. Jackman looks great, better than anything we have...Leetch has been waiting all year and we are just now trying to sign him...come on. The leadership on this team is suspect and it starts with MacT. He seems to give up hope as soon as we get down in a game you can see it in his interviews. MacT is a great coach for 1/3 of the ice but neither the Nuetral zone or the offensive zone is not his specialty. We should concede three goals a night and try to score five, that is the only way this team can succeed but MacT cant seem to coach that.

We consistently draft and develop players in the most ridiculous fashion. Seriously central scouting ranks these players for you and you go watch them and you see what everybody else does....Map will never be anything better than Horc, who imo is nothing more than a second liner. We could have had either Perry or Getzlaf for that pick. Schremp was a steal but we dont develop players so once we get him nothing comes of him. The guy should have been in the AHL LAST YEAR not the OHL. Now this year he has to compete with 11 other centers on the team who have all been in the AHL for two or three years and now it is now or never for them and he has to compete for ever second of ice time. Of course the guy is going to have some bad nights ut now he gets benched if he doesnt get a point great concept for development. And yes this is the oilers fault cause they should have secured a farm team for this year at the latest not next year. Brodzaik, Syvret both suck and the only good one seems to be Roy (who was my lone bright spout tonight).

The coaching staff as a whole seems to be a "find your buddy a job gig". Huddy sucks cause if you cant tell that Gator shouldnt be out there then you have lost your mind. This is no place to have a soft spot in your hear the guy costs us games (as well as cups). Smid looked like a different player at the All star game....LET HIM PLAY LIKE THAT DAMMIT! Simpson could teach a dog to crap in the house. I have the center ice package and watch many teams play and our pp is the worst in the league.....by far. You would think with our pk we could tell what is a hard system to play against and just youse that but instead we staple the players to certain spots on the ice and keep them there.

Lastly we stifle players! Nedved has looked like our number one center since he got here but we dont play him.....we play Horc on the pp or Stoli. Dont get me wrong Stoli is great two way player but Nedved is developed all ready and can play on the PP. When nedved is on the PP we almost score or score but instead we yous the dame group of guys that suck every night....Pisani doesnt deserve extra ice time, guys like Torres do (pardon the stupid turnover tonight). You have a 30 goal scorer and you put him in a checking role everynight with 10-13 minutes in ice time....great idea! The guy has scored more PP goals than anybody on the team in the last two years yet we waist his talent.....see a common thread her. Oh and are we the only team that doesn't double **** its star players? yup we are and how does it work out for the other 29 teams in the league.....pretty good their star players get star player points!

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
  #2
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Well that was interesting... some good points some not so good IMO.

As for Schremp not being in the AHL last year, correct me if I'm wrong but he was too young to be playing there. I'm almost positive you have to be a CHL overage to play in the AHL if you'd chosen the Canadian Junior Route. As for Smid playing the way he did in the all star game, that all-star game was pretty much a joke. The kid's got talent, everyone can see that but you can't expect him to be dangling around guys in an NHL game that actually has some emotion and physical play. Smid's done all we could ask for this year, if he hasn't met your expectations this season as a whole than that's a problem I think. He's a 20-year old defencemen... How many 20-year old defencemen are playing in this league as a regular? The fact that he came over in the Pronger trade puts unfair expectations on both him and Lupul and while all the Lupul criticism is for I don't think you can expect Smid to play the style he did in the youngstars game or play better hockey in general.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:34 AM
  #3
camboy
Registered User
 
camboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
MacT is a great coach for 1/3 of the ice but neither the Nuetral zone or the offensive zone is not his specialty. We should concede three goals a night and try to score five, that is the only way this team can succeed but MacT cant seem to coach that.
This is the only part of your rant that I completely agree with. IMO MacT needs to be complemented with an assistant coach who's speciality is offence. Craig Simpson is proving to be not the right person for that job.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:35 AM
  #4
nameht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
Lastly we stifle players! Nedved has looked like our number one center since he got here but we dont play him.....we play Horc on the pp or Stoli. Dont get me wrong Stoli is great two way player but Nedved is developed all ready and can play on the PP. When nedved is on the PP we almost score or score but instead we yous the dame group of guys that suck every night....
Nedved has not looked anywhere close to our #1 center. In the 10 games he has played..he has a total of one goal and 3 assists and only 2 of those assists coming at ES. Horcoff on the other hand has 3g and 6a in his last 10 games
Quote:
Pisani doesnt deserve extra ice time, guys like Torres do (pardon the stupid turnover tonight). You have a 30 goal scorer and you put him in a checking role everynight with 10-13 minutes in ice time....great idea! The guy has scored more PP goals than anybody on the team in the last two years yet we waist his talent.....
If you are talking about torres, he has only had 6 PPG in the last 1.5 seasons, compared to smyth who has 26PPG in that same span and stoll has 17PPG as well

Torres PP rates are horrible and have been throughout his career

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
  #5
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Last year's SC run is looking more and more like a huge fluke. MacT would not be coaching today if the Oilers didn't make the playoffs last year. In some ways it would have been a better fate but one cannot argue with making an extra 12 mil last year.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:50 AM
  #6
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
Kevin Lowe has all the prospects and pics he needs to make a trade and shore up the blueline and we can see that players are available like Jackman who went to the Ducks. So quit saying there is nobody available. Jackman looks great, better than anything we have...
This teams needs a LOT more than Ric Jackman, and those guys will be very expensive to get. Considering how important young players are in today's game, I don't see anything wrong with not mortgaging the future on one guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post

We consistently draft and develop players in the most ridiculous fashion. Seriously central scouting ranks these players for you and you go watch them and you see what everybody else does
Seriously? Central Scouting? Have you ever looked through their track record? NOT good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post

The guy should have been in the AHL LAST YEAR not the OHL.
Already mentioned, but worth doing again: He couldn't have played in the AHL last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post

Brodzaik, Syvret both suck and the only good one seems to be Roy (who was my lone bright spout tonight).
Brodziak sucks, yet Roy's good?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:24 PM
  #7
westcory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameht View Post
Nedved has not looked anywhere close to our #1 center. In the 10 games he has played..he has a total of one goal and 3 assists and only 2 of those assists coming at ES. Horcoff on the other hand has 3g and 6a in his last 10 games


If you are talking about torres, he has only had 6 PPG in the last 1.5 seasons, compared to smyth who has 26PPG in that same span and stoll has 17PPG as well

Torres PP rates are horrible and have been throughout his career
You got that one wrong you might want to check your sources on that. Torres scored 6 goals on the pp in 03/04 which lead the team.... as for last year Smyth led the team but in total he leads Torres by just one (sorry I was off by two goals). I am just trying to point out that Lupul should not be on the pp nor should Pisani before Torres.


As for the next rant yes Schremp could have played in the AHL last year. There is a guideline to play players for four years but all the oilers would have done is to have Schremp on the opening day roster, play a game and then send him down. I really dont think he had to score 145 points in the OHL.

Horc might have played okay in the last few games but he continues to miss assignments in his own zone and frankly I see Nedved hitting more players in his own zone. Lets not even compare the finishing skills of each player, Horc misses more sure goals than any other Oiler.

The Jackman thing is not the answer but it was a step that should have been taken. All KLOWE ever says in the media is that no one is available, well Jackman was! I also think now is not the time to be haggling for a bargain. KLOWE usually fleeces other gm's ie the pronger trade (Smid, Lupul, 2 1st rounders and one 2 nd rounder) but now is not the time to look for another something for nothing trade.

By no means do I think Smid is playing bad, he has played great but he showed an offensive flair at the all star game that he hasn't in out games and I would bet that is more the coaching staff than anything. Yes there was no hitting, but at the same time this guy was playing against the most agile and fastest players in the game so I think he could handle himself against other players.

Last years team never got down and never got frustrated even though our goaltending was horrible. This year we dont have the same drive and composure and I have to blame that on lack of leadership on the coaches and the leaders of the team or lack there of.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:51 PM
  #8
nameht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
You got that one wrong you might want to check your sources on that. Torres scored 6 goals on the pp in 03/04 which lead the team.... as for last year Smyth led the team but in total he leads Torres by just one (sorry I was off by two goals). I am just trying to point out that Lupul should not be on the pp nor should Pisani before Torres.
http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...ewName=summary

2003-2004
Torres was 4th in power play goals with 5
Lupul had 4 Powerplay goals

2005-2006
Torres had 6 power play goals
Lupul had 12 power play goals

Smyth had 27 power play goals in that period, Pisani had 8 compared to Torres 11 in that same period

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:04 PM
  #9
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
As for the next rant yes Schremp could have played in the AHL last year. There is a guideline to play players for four years but all the oilers would have done is to have Schremp on the opening day roster, play a game and then send him down. I really dont think he had to score 145 points in the OHL.
A person could have hit the gong on more then one occasion in your post (Getting rid of Huddy, Nedved playing better then Horc, etc).

However, this takes the cake. No Schremp couldn't have just been kept up for one game then sent down to the AHL. If he was sent off of the NHL roster he HAS to go to the CHL, in which case he's not available to be called up for the rest of the year unless there is an 'emergency' (I don't know the definition they use for that word).

That's just the reality of drafting players in the CHL. Lowe and MacT and the gang even said on occasion last year that the O wasn't the league for him to be in and it was to bad they couldn't have used him in the AHL.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.