HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tukonen making his bid for the NHL!!!

Old
01-27-2007, 10:06 AM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Tukonen making his bid for the NHL!!!

On another hockey BB, we were discussing the effects the recent recalls of Pushkarev and O'Sullivan would have on the Monarchs. I suggested this would be a very good time for Tukonen to elevate his game. Last night, elevate he did!

Although he only shows up with one assist on the score sheet of the Monarchs 3-2 win over Houston last night, he did a hell of a lot more.

He actually scored a goal in the first period that both the referee and goal judge missed. He beat the Houston goalie 5-hole from the left slot and the puck clearly went in, hit the center post and came back out to the left of the goalie. The referee aggressively waved it off, the goal judge shook his head no. The video replay on the scoreboard clearly showed that it had gone in and come back out. Unfortunately, in the AHL, there is no video review. I sit behind and off to the left of the net the Monarchs shoot at twice. When Tuks nailed it I jumped and shouted YES! The folks around me thought I was friggin crazy and cheering for the save. Upon further review, they realized what I had clearly seen.

He had a great play in the Monarchs defensive zone along the left wing half boards in the third. He pinched off the d-man, stripped him of the puck, turned it and hit Ryan with a sweet breakout pass that eventually went for not...

He set-up both Kanko and Ryan sending them in alone on the goalie and neither finished...

Between the second and third periods, a few of us were talking about how nice it would be if Tukonen's linemates could have finished some of the opportunities he was creating for them. In the 3rd period, Morris switched out Kanko for Stephenson on the line. Stephenson finished a nice set-up from Tuks that eventually serve as the game winning goal...

So, in the end, Tukonen reeally had a goal and an assist last night and could have possibly had a 3 maybe 4-point game with some help from his linemates. I'll be surprised if Tukonen isn't the next guy out of Manchester to the Kings if the need presents itself...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
sueroe

i was checking out the stats last night in the ahl and i was going to ask about Tukonen because it looked like he had a good night. He had been really coming along since the return from injury (minus the couple games out with the elbow to the head). I think it is all about this boy staying healthy so he can continue to progress. good for him!

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:12 AM
King Blazer

He had a real good night last night. He was effective in all three zones and on both sides of the puck. The best game I can remember him playing for some time. He appears to be right on his game at the moment.

Old
01-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
He had a real good night last night. He was effective in all three zones and on both sides of the puck. The best game I can remember him playing for some time. He appears to be right on his game at the moment.
Thanks for the great report. I only got to see Tukonen at Staples 16 months ago in the game vs Duck rookies and he looked very solid. He scored on a wicked slapper about 40 feet out. Had to be around 92+ mph.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:51 AM
CaliCash

Send a message via AIM to CaliCash Send a message via Yahoo to CaliCash
maybe send willsie down and recall tuks? Why not let the kids get their feet wet when there's not really any pressure on the team to make the playoffs?

CaliCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:00 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCash View Post
maybe send willsie down and recall tuks? Why not let the kids get their feet wet when there's not really any pressure on the team to make the playoffs?
Thanks for the report KB. I say the Kings should call him up after the trade deadline after all the trades are made and Manchester gets a few additions. If he can play like this for a month then he deserves to be called up.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i thoughts tuk's was projected as a first line winger...

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Fat Elvis

At this point in the season, why not bring Tuks up? Time to see what the organization really has in some of these guys.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
He was at one point...hell, THN had him ranked as the #4 prospect going into the draft. I thought we stole him at 11.

Seems like injuries and a hard time adjusting to the NA game have slowed him down.

I am still in favour of keeping him around. How can you give up on a kid without even giving him some NHL time? Especially when guys like Matt Ryan, Giuliano, Tim Jackman, Pushkarev have gotten the call. That makes NO sense.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think many would be satisfied if he put it together (in terms of his health) and became a Jere Lehtinen-type player for the team. He still has too much upside to give up on. But then again, if they can acquire another top quality prospect where both clubs dealt from a position of strength to address other weak spots, then it would make sense to listen to offers for him.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:56 PM
King Blazer

Injuries have definately cut into Tukonen's development time. He played injured for a considerable amount of time last season and tried to suck it up. They finally had to shut him down when an MRI revealed a torn rotator cuff...

He came back and at the end of training camp and looked real good heading into this season. Then the knee injury came and once again, he tried to play through it, but he had to shut down for a little bit...

He keeps coming back and he just looks stronger every time. When I talk to the FO folks and players out here about him, it's all positive. I really like this kid and hope the Kings give him a shot soon. He's earned it...

Old
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

good info king and ziggy. thanks. i sure would love to see all the young kids flying in LA. let them grow together. build for something.

Old
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Osprey

I don't see the point in posting a wild proposal for trading Tukonen in a thread intended for praising his performance last night and celebrating his NHL potential, but there's been enough dogpiling on poor funky, so I'll leave it there. Anyways, back to that original topic...

I'm itching a little to see what (if anything) Tukonen can do at the NHL level right now. From KB's post (granted, it was a recap of a single game), it sounds as though Lauri could use some better linemates. I'm not sure why he was playing with Kanko and Ryan, instead of Clarke or Moulson (perhaps KB can provide insight), but, perhaps, another solution is simply to find him linemates on the Kings. I have a feeling that his production at the NHL level right off the bat wouldn't be all that different from what it's been at the AHL level. Poor linemates would just be substituted with adapting to the NHL as the reason for the trouble putting up points, but the experience would accelerate his adaptation and development.

If anything, though, I'd like to see him get a cup of coffee just to see if any of these theories have merit. We saw how Pushkarev elevated his game upon re-call, and, by all accounts, Tukonen has a skillset and mindset that are more suited for this league. Give him a call-up and let him have a look around. If he sticks, score!; if not, the experience might put a fire in his belly that's needed to carry the Monarchs down the end stretch and into the playoffs.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-27-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't see the point in posting a wild proposal for trading Tukonen in a thread intended to praise his performance last night and celebrate his NHL potential. Anyways, back to that original topic...

I'm itching a little to see what (if anything) Tukonen can do at the NHL level right now. From KB's post (granted, it was a recap of a single game), it sounds as though Lauri could use some better linemates. I'm not sure why he was playing with Kanko and Ryan, instead of Clarke or Moulson (perhaps KB can provide insight), but, perhaps, another solution is simply to find him linemates on the Kings. I have a feeling that his production at the NHL level right off the bat wouldn't be all that different from that at the AHL level, and the experience would accelerate his development.
Although it was a recap of a single game, as sueroe pointed out, Tuks has been coming along since returning from the knee injury, took an elbow to the head a few games back and responded to the need for someone to step up with the recalls of Pushkarev and O'Sullivan.

Here's what Morris went with for most of the game last night:
Jackman - Murray - Clarke
Moulson - Gauthier - Zeiler
Kanko - Ryan - Tukonen

Stephenson and Crosty were used as forwards...

No need to mess with the Moulson - Gauthier - Zeiler line. It's been together for pretty much the entire season and is as text book an energy line as we've probably ever had in Manchester AND they put up numbers! All three, all out at 100-mph, every shift, every game. Classic top ranked college hockey at its best! They hit everyone not Monarchs all the time and themselve's some of the time. Again, the should not mess with this line...

Of the remaining players, Murray is the guy I'd most like to see spend some time with Tukonen. I realize that many Kings fans didn't have much use for him with the Kings, however, the AHL is a different story and Murray is clearly one of the top players here in Manchester. He's poised as you'd expect a veteran to be and is a difference maker at this level. His anticipation, passes, decision making are all very good for this level. I'd like to see Clarke - Murray - Tukonen. The "problem" becomes then you're pretty much left with Jackman - Ryan - Kanko and Jackman is definately a downgrade from Tukonen so you're likely strengthening one line and weakening another. It's a tough call and I'm glad I'm not Morris. For a straight out, what's best for Tukonen at this point, I'd put him with Clarke and Murray...

The other thing I wanted to mention about Tukonen is his willingness to stand-up for his linemates. He doesn't come in with fists flying, he puts himself between the opponent and his linemate and just stares right through the guy. Makes it very clear that the guy is going to have to go through him. Tukonen is a solid kid both in terms of physical appearance and character...

Old
01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
ukyo

Tukonen is one player who I DEFINITELY don't want to see traded until he at least gets a taste of the NHL. I don't think he's the next Jere Lehtinen by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the way he plays could potentially translate very well to the NHL.

Typically when I see a prospect playing in the WJCs or juniors or the AHL, I see a lot of plays which make me think, "that won't work in the NHL, son." I've only seen less than a dozen games that Tukonen's played in but I don't remember thinking that about his play a single time. In fact, a lot of the plays he makes make me think, "that could have turned into something more significant in the NHL." Especially the subtle ones like skating slowly through the slot while the defense isn't looking or coming down the opposite boards on a slow dump-in that the goaltender barely gets to. Most of these plays don't pan out but given the occasional linemate that spots him open or puts more pressure on the goalie or what-not, Tukonen's sense could have had more effect on the game.

It's unfortunate though that he's been on and off the mend for the past couple years. Most fans (myself included) have sort of lost interest.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:36 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Here's what Morris went with for most of the game last night:
Jackman - Murray - Clarke
Moulson - Gauthier - Zeiler
Kanko - Ryan - Tukonen

Stephenson and Crosty were used as forwards...
Same for tonight's game. The first two lines were left alone, for the most part. The third line had Stephenson and Crosty splitting time with Kanko.

Murray and Clarke were really clicking tonight. Murray factored into both goals (goal and assist) as did Clarke (goal and assist). They are starting to feed off of each other. KB's correct - if Morris could somehow position Tukonen into this line there could be some serious sparks flying...

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:58 AM
jfont

Awards:
trade proposal was off topic...lets keep this on topic ppl...

01-28-2007, 01:27 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
He was at one point...hell, THN had him ranked as the #4 prospect going into the draft. I thought we stole him at 11.

Seems like injuries and a hard time adjusting to the NA game have slowed him down.

I am still in favour of keeping him around. How can you give up on a kid without even giving him some NHL time? Especially when guys like Matt Ryan, Giuliano, Tim Jackman, Pushkarev have gotten the call. That makes NO sense.
He was never thought to be a first line prospect. Not even on draft day. He was said to be a step ahead of everyone but he never wasnt overly skilled.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
In his draft year, at least what I heard at the time, was that he was a very good player, but clearly a notch below excellent -- basically a second line guy.

A player that was mentioned in a report to help with comparison was Alexander Radulov in that he had the skill sets that made you say "wow," and that Tukonen was not of that caliber. Though the scouting report was quick to mention that as far as an all-around game (defense and other aspects) was concerned, Tukonen was better. The ceiling on talent in comparison was just lower.
  • Difficult to separate from the puck because of good balance and excellent reach.
  • Excellent vision for passes.
  • Fundamentally sound and disciplined.
  • Has an underrated shot.
  • Competes hard and has natural strength to fight through checks and gain body position.

Red Line Report, for example, compared him to Fredrik Modin -- if that helps anyone with trying to imagine his pro game.

Personally, I'd love to see him get his chance with the Kings this season and a young guns line of O'Sullivan, Kopitar, and Tukonen wreaking havoc on the NHL.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:22 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
trade proposal was off topic...lets keep this on topic ppl...
Thanks for the clean-up on aisle five jfont...

I wasn't able to attend last night's Monarchs game, however I did catch Ken Cail's pre-game interview with Morris on the radio. Morris talked about the Monarchs missing some good opportunities on Friday night and the result was they found themselve's in a much tighter third period then they should have...

Cail then took that and moved onto Tukonen being the unsung hero of Friday's game. (I'm thinking well of course he was unsung you dope, you're one of about five media people that vote for the stars of the game and you didn't bother to include him!). Morris went on to say that since his return from being held out of the Portland game (I'm still trying to figure out which game he meant) because he "got his bell rung", Tukonen has been playing with a jump in his step which translates to other teams having a very difficult time containing him...

Tukonen's point streak came to an end last night at 3-games...

Old
01-28-2007, 10:43 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Thanks for the clean-up on aisle five jfont...

I wasn't able to attend last night's Monarchs game, however I did catch Ken Cail's pre-game interview with Morris on the radio. Morris talked about the Monarchs missing some good opportunities on Friday night and the result was they found themselve's in a much tighter third period then they should have...

Cail then took that and moved onto Tukonen being the unsung hero of Friday's game. (I'm thinking well of course he was unsung you dope, you're one of about five media people that vote for the stars of the game and you didn't bother to include him!). Morris went on to say that since his return from being held out of the Portland game (I'm still trying to figure out which game he meant) because he "got his bell rung", Tukonen has been playing with a jump in his step which translates to other teams having a very difficult time containing him...

Tukonen's point streak came to an end last night at 3-games...
yeah he got his "bell rung" or elbow to the head in portland and then sat out of the houston game. i think that is what he is talking about.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?4829

apparently at one point, someone thought he was going to be a first line winger.

Old
01-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

apparently at one point, someone thought he was going to be a first line winger.
Well....even TSN still says his potential is a 1st line winger.....But I don't know how often that is updated.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:42 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

As far as I know he was always a projected 1st liner. I can't recall ever seeing otherwise.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
As far as I know he was always a projected 1st liner. I can't recall ever seeing otherwise.
He is responding to Primakov....who said that Tukonen was projected to be a 2nd line winger.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote