Make your GM decisions on the Bruin players

Old
01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Don Cherry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason010304 View Post
1. B Stuart needs to be resigned, 5.5 is as high as I would go
You would give Stuart 5.5??!! Wow, holy overratedness, Batman!

I swear Brad Stuart has to be the most overrated player in the NHL finally surpassing PJ Axelsson.

What would you give Stuart 5.5 based on, potential?? This guy isn't even close to a $5.5 million type of player. A quick look at his numbers, along with the fact that he coomits at least 3-4 turnovers per game, would make that *almost* as bad a signing as the dumb Chara throw-away of 37.5.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
You would give Stuart 5.5??!! Wow, holy overratedness, Batman!

I swear Brad Stuart has to be the most overrated player in the NHL finally surpassing PJ Axelsson.

What would you give Stuart 5.5 based on, potential?? This guy isn't even close to a $5.5 million type of player. A quick look at his numbers, along with the fact that he coomits at least 3-4 turnovers per game, would make that *almost* as bad a signing as the dumb Chara throw-away of 37.5.
I have to agree with you DC. He's good not great.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:13 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
I want to see more distributed scoring, team toughness and all around better defense.

But I also want to see continuity in the core. In the past 10 years, how many times have the Bruins changed the guard? As far as I remember, they've gone from Oates-Tocchet-Bourque to Bourque-Allison to Bourque-Guerin to Thornton-Knuble-Murray to Bergeron-Leetch to Chara-Savard-Bergeron. Every other year the baton was handed so someone else.

This has to stop. Plain and simple, it doesn't happen on cup winners.

Outside their nucleus of Chara, Savard, Bergeron and Kessel, the Bruins have to decide which of Boyes, Axelsson, Alberts, Thomas and Toivonen will be part of the long term plan - and then continue to commit to them. As PC builds out support for them and they learn how to win together, you'll have a better chance at finding the type of comaraderie, accountability and leadership this team has been missing.

Outside goaltending, which I am still not sure about, PC simply has to design a team where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. Aside from the aforemention missing intangibles, he has to find better role guys and support players that don't fade to black. This year, too many guys like Brookbank, Mowers, Donovan, Hoggan, Dempsey and York didn't have an impact.

Likewise, Chiarelli and the scouting staff have to know who's ready on the farm and what role they can realistically assume. You can't have too many inexperienced players on the roster at the same time, like the Bruins did this year when they relied on Bergeron, Boyes, Alberts, Kessel, Jurcina, Chistov, Tenkrat, Hoggan, Thomas, Toivonen, Allen and Lashoff, all of whom have 2 years or less experience in the NHL.

Decisions have to be made about who's coming up, who's here, and who's going to fit into the long term plans.

Altogether, if the B's can create a more distributed offense and improve team toughness, then that would be a great start. Adding another 1-2 well fitting UFA defensemen to the mix (replacing BStuart, York) and improved coaching should result in better all around team defense. If Chiarelli could also add more size and grit up front and ensure mobility on each defensive pairing, then along with a continued emphasis on speed and work ethic, the B's should take a major step forward next season.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Duguay2

The time is right; let's see if Chiarelli has the instinct's.

He's in a somewhat good spot -- in that the expectations aren't sky high.
But he needs to get the big vision going and max out on guys like Primeau, Sturm, and Thomas.

My sources tell me Brad Stuart is gonzo.

I've also heard some interesting things in regards to Brad Boyes, and his parents hating him being on this team.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:16 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
The time is right; let's see if Chiarelli has the instinct's.

He's in a somewhat good spot -- in that the expectations aren't sky high.
But he needs to get the big vision going and max out on guys like Primeau, Sturm, and Thomas.

My sources tell me Brad Stuart is gonzo.

I've also heard some interesting things in regards to Brad Boyes, and his parents hating him being on this team.
How can Brad Stuart be gonzo? I thought you're Gonzo??

Seriously though, what are your sources telling you? Does it seem imminent that he'll be playing elsewhere? Every day that passes with the Bruins being lousy on the ice and no formal engagement in contract negotiations between both camps, the more I think he's history.

Hmm, as for Boyes, what have you been hearing? I can only hope the situation with him can turn around. There's no way this down-time should define his career, he just has too much to offer. Too bad to hear his family whining like that, in my mind, it makes them look bad.

Besides, if the B's can manage to hold onto him, it could really pay off in the long run. Not only does he have the hands, skill, hockey sense, intelligence and leadership to be a winner, but the fact that he's part of a young nucleus (which includes Bergeron, Kessel, Toivonen, Alberts, Lashoff, MStuart, etc) that's learning how to grow, mature and win together can only help further the cause of continuity, which in my mind has not only been missing for too long, but is an irreplaceable element of success.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Duguay2

Roger;

Grapevine stuff;
Boyes parents don't like him on this team. They're critical of how this team is run. Stuart is getting scouted aggressively as pointed out in today's Boston papers. I heard it's been decided that he won't resign without testing the waters, which spells trade. Take it with a grain of salt (and an aspirin) if necessary.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:44 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Give your advice to Chia:

1. I think everyone here would agree that Stuart is a top priority to resign. The questions is "Does he want to play in Boston?" If he does what is he worth? If not what is he worth on the market.
A:I think he is worth 5 million plus per year for the next 3 years.
He is worth at least a top six forward or a top prospect or at least a 1st and 2nd rd pick.

2. Sturm- Resign or not? What is he worth?
A: No to resigning unless its less than 2.5 million. He is worth a top prospect or a 2nd rd pick (plus).

3. Primeau- Resign or Not? What's he worth?
A: Wants to stay, but I think we cut him loose. If you could get a third rd pick or a potential NHLer , that would be fine.

4. Keep Mowers and Donovan? Both 1 year left on their contracts. What are they worth?
A: I know Mowers isn't anything special, but he doesn't hurt the team and he's Lewis's boy. I don't think he needed, but I think he'll stay.
Donovan at $950,000 a year could be moved. That's too much money for a fourth liner. Someone will take him at the deadline. He worth a 4th rd pick.

5. Trade Murray or not? What's he worth?
A: Definately! He is 4.1 million on the cap and he is not likely to be here after one more year. He is having a good year and his value is high. I know he is our top scorer, but he is not in the future plans. Hopefully a sweet deal would come along and someone overpays for him. Trade him for a younger star to be.

6. Trade Chistov/Boyes?
A: Lots of talk that Chistov is being showcased on the top line. If he is moved, hopefully its for more than a third rd back. I hope Boston keeps him here.
I would hope they don't give up on Boyes. This would be a huge mistake.
My guess is that an energy forward would mean that players like Boyes/Chistov/Kessel are just not strong enough on the puck. Kessel isn't going anywhere, but the other two might fine that they don't fit.

7. Hannu and Timmay?
A: Keep Hannu for sure. If the right deal came along for Timmay, I would do it and look to address this issue in the off season. Maybe Marty Biron.

8. Defense? What's needed?
A: Chara/Mara/Alberts and hopefully Stuart are the core for the next few years.
Lashoff and M. Stuart are up and comers. Add one good defensive defenseman and we should be alright if Stuart resigns. If not, we're in some trouble.

9. Who from the Baby B's will be next year Bruins?
A: I think Stuart and or Lashoff will be up full time.
Up front- Kalus. Versteeg will be a long shot.

10. Coaching.( I know this could be a long one, but name two major changes)
A. 1. Play Kessel and the young players alot more. Have faith in talented young stars.
2. Don't make players something they are not. Examples: Prims/Mowers/Hoggan- Energy line gets 15- 20 minutes at night. P.J. a first line forward. York a defenseman.

Have Fun!!!!!
Get rid of these guys for sure,Tenkrat,Hoggan,Stuart,Sturm,Mowers,Both Goalies for a proven Goalie is a must!Chistov has talent but needs someone to work with that has speed,he is however soft as witnessed last night on that goal where he got muscled to the ice.Primeau gives it his all every shift and I find he and Donovan are always moving the puck down low trying hard.But he makes 1.5 mil,1.25 counts towards cap,That is a I don't know .York,BYE BYE,

McEachern s 1.050 comes off the books as well as Stastnys 240K.Brookbanks 91K as well. Zhamnov s 4.1 million till 07/08 is the killer.Mike OConnell should never be allowed back in hockey again.

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote