HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Montoya-FLA (Proposals)

Old
01-29-2007, 01:43 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
what the heck? makes no sense. Rangers aren't getting anyone I care to get. Bertuzzi is injured and on the other side of his prime as far as i'm concerned. Salei is on the other end of his career, more so. Stumpel? He's been there for some time despite having a decent season but doesn't solve our 2nd line center problem in the long term. Alex Auld, the goalie you got for Luongo? If you guys don't want him, why would we? Give it up. You're not getting Montoya unless you are offering something substantial. Something you don't seem willing to venture into.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:50 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

you want montoya, you better give us a stud in return as well

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:58 AM
GarretJoseph

I'd take Bertuzzi for Hossa & Ward.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:11 AM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I would do that deal just to get Malik out of here.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:45 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN View Post
I would do that deal just to get Malik out of here.
That's the only reason I hesitated for a few seconds to say no

We aren't exactly cap strapped, we don't need to trade arguably our best prospect to create cap room.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:48 AM
FmmF3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface8982 View Post
To New York Rangers:
Todd Bertuzzi
Ruslan Salei
Jozef Stumpel
Alex Auld
'07 2nd Round Pick

To Florida Panthers:
Al Montoya
Matt Cullen
Kevin Weekes
Marek Malik
Karel Rachunek
Our goalie stud plus our crap for your crap? Come on, why would we want to do that?

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:09 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Trades of that magnitude will never happen again, i can almost guarantee you that.
not to mention the fact that i wouldn't trade montoya by himself for that entire package, no less add in the other parts

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:18 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
not to mention the fact that i wouldn't trade montoya by himself for that entire package, no less add in the other parts
i think the point of his offer is to get us cap space by giving them crap tied down and getting rentals.. at least i hope otherwise this worse than i though

Old
01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Intimidation is not a skill, it's a side-factor. Because Scott Stevens was more intimidating, that meant that he was a better defender than Ray Bourque? Physical aspects are one thing, but intimidation is a completely different story, I don't believe that makes a player better than another. It's basically a reputation.
Of course it doesn't, but if Scott Stevens was a better scorer, who was just as good defensively as Borque and remained as intimidating and nasty as he was in the physical game, then yes he would be.

From what I have seen of the 2 players, Phaneuf is better and by pretty wide margin. His physicality dominates games, he is better offensively and is at least as good as Bouwmeester defensively.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But I don't think being the type who goes end to end is a bad thing. I think Phaneuf is on the better team for sure, but I wouldn't call his style overly aggressive. I also don't think more is being asked of BO on defense. The guy Phaneuf plays for in Calgary is the type who demands a complete game from him. I think we're equating his ability to jump into the play with that it somehow has to equal a defensive deficency which is not the case here. Simply put that would not be tolerated on that team.

So the numbers are superior at a younger age, the physical aspects are better a younger age and and the defense is at least even. I still don't see it.

And one of the big key factors in this is at we're debating two guys with two years between them now, I don't see how that gap gets any closer as Phaneuf won't be to where Bo is until the year 2009.

At best it seems we can say that Bo is as good on defense as Phaneuf, despite being older and MAYBE if everything falls into place he MIGHT be as good offensivly. That still leaves out physical aspects, intimidation and where both players would be at the same age.

Phaneuf is no worse than slightly better than Bo at a younger age, that gap still looks to widen if we put them at the same age.
I agree, Phaneuf will be the better of the two. However, IMO there won't be much difference between the two. Phaneuf will always be the better hitter, but Bo is becoming very aggressive. Much more confident, he looks for hits now whereas as before he'd shy away from physical activity if he could. Bouwmeester has taken alot longer to develop than Phaneuf, so i don't think you will Phaneuf widden the gap that much. Bouwmeester is improving just as fast as Phaneuf is. His development was def not helped by being in the NHL and expected to play such a big role at a young age. All Bouwmeester needed was confidence, which he is now getting. The dude is shy as hell. Him and Phaneuf will undoubtly be Canada's two best Dmen in the future.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:59 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

The one guy I'd really like from Florida would be Bryan Allen. Boy would he be a big help to this team. Maybe if we could find a way to get him and Bertuzzi...just maybe Montoya could go

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
The one guy I'd really like from Florida would be Bryan Allen. Boy would he be a big help to this team. Maybe if we could find a way to get him and Bertuzzi...just maybe Montoya could go
Agreed. Bryan Allen is very physical.... He is just what we need on D....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger View Post
Of course it doesn't, but if Scott Stevens was a better scorer, who was just as good defensively as Borque and remained as intimidating and nasty as he was in the physical game, then yes he would be.

From what I have seen of the 2 players, Phaneuf is better and by pretty wide margin. His physicality dominates games, he is better offensively and is at least as good as Bouwmeester defensively.
So if Bouwmeester was intimidating like Phaneuf, you're saying that Bouwmeester would be on his level? Makes no sense. A style of play shouldn't determine who is a better defender. Defensive defensemen are ALWAYS robbed of the Norris. Scott Stevens being the best example of that tragedy.

The offense and defense AT THIS POINT ARE VERY COMPARABLE.

Edge's argument is a hypothetical in a lot of senses. He brings up the words "future," and "will be." He thinks Phaneuf "will" widen the gap. The matter at hand is right now, not "two or three years down the road." I think Phaneuf has the potential to be better, but that's not the matter being debated.

I don't see a distinct difference between the two except in the physical department, and that's it.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I suggested this earlier in the thread but for Montoya that's insane. Both are impending UFA's and Allen up until this year has been all but a disappointment. If we can get him on the cheap then he's a guy to go after.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:05 PM
squilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If you don't want to deal Frolik or Olesz you ain't a gettin no Montoya. Sorry.
Dude...I am a Ranger fan.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:07 PM
squilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface8982 View Post
To New York Rangers:
Todd Bertuzzi
Ruslan Salei
Jozef Stumpel
Alex Auld
'07 2nd Round Pick

To Florida Panthers:
Al Montoya
Matt Cullen
Kevin Weekes
Marek Malik
Karel Rachunek
Why would the Rangers want to take the Panthers' mistakes of Bertuzzi and Auld? Bertuzzi is in decline, Auld is a never has been, Stumpel is about finished, Salei is a journey man. You're dreaming.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:11 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilber View Post
Why would the Rangers want to take the Panthers' mistakes of Bertuzzi and Auld? Bertuzzi is in decline, Auld is a never has been, Stumpel is about finished, Salei is a journey man. You're dreaming.
Well said.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:52 PM
ThisYearsModel

Montoya and Immonen for Weiss and Olesz.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote