HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Staios Back and Nedved Out

Old
01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
mvprimate

vCash: 500
Benching nedved is stupid. He is the only one on that line who won any puck battles whatsoever in the sharks zone.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Send Sykora on a 1 way ticket on a Fall out Boy tour
LOL... a pretty raged post but I was a big fan of that line.

Anyways, does this mean Stortini isn't in tonight?

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:47 PM
vb

Nedved is 36 years old, maybe they think he isn't able to play back to back games anymore. Lots of teams do that with the older players.

Just thinking of other reasons why he is out, other than the controversy mentioned above.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprimate View Post
Benching nedved is stupid. He is the only one on that line who won any puck battles whatsoever in the sharks zone.

Nedved was brought in to provide offence, while playing with two of our most talented offensive forwards. I dont think its even an argument that he hasnt done this at all. People who wanted to see nedved succeed can point out how his "two way play has been better than expected", but thats not what the oilers need from him. We have alot of better options if we are looking for someone that can play great two-way hockey. I think the bottom line is that Nedved is not providing offence, so why put up with the mediocre other parts of his game when we have better options to use.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Grace period?

Its my own take that in a week in which someones mother dies you treat them kindly and with kids gloves and resist anything else.

Poor form if it happened for Nedved to drop the F-bomb on MacT

Not to mention this is close to the end of the road which is maybe the frustration.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:09 PM
nameht

Quote:
MacT needs to go!
Nedved was the oiler last game I thought. He was hitting everything in sight... and when a player who is not known for getting physical goes out and does these things I shows that he cares. Nedved wasn't scoring so he was finding other ways to be effective. When Sykora is struggling to find the back of the net what is he doing? Nothing! So why wouldn't Mac bench that emo lovin' fruitcake? Storts showed more heart(unfortunately) than any Oiler in his first game and MacT doesn't have him in the lineup next game?? Everyone knows a physical presence was missing from the lineup (hemsky getting run at every game) and everyone knows this team has looked dead showing no life at all, no emotion..and we got Storts who almost cried in the penalty box when he couldn't get back on the ice.(most of the oilers couldn't wait for the game to end, to get the hell outta rexal, and Storts is crushed because he can't show the greatest fans in the world what he is made of. Why the **** would you take Storts out of the lineup?? Do you think Petersen can fill that role? Now Mact wants to sit Nedved? What does Sykora bring that Nedved doesn't? Sykora is nothing but a leech. Atleast Nedved plays like a man. Sykora has to be the softest thing ive seen on earth and MacIdiot thinks Sykora and Hemsky are going to be able to cycle the puck to each other?? Hemsky is the toughtest guy on his line and MacT thinks they can cycle the puck vs the flames defence ....
Atleast Nedved will do other things to help the team when he isn't scoring. Send Petersen back to Iowa, Bring up Brodziak. Send Sykora on a 1 way ticket on a Fall out Boy tour and put Storts in full time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Man I totally agree. MacT makes some really head scratching decisions with player personnel. I really admired the fact that Nedved was trying to do SOMETHING out there. We all knew that he wasn't going to come in and be a ppg guy for us. It was obvious that the czech-mates weren't going to be effective last night cause lets face it, if Hemsky isn't going, that line just won't work. At least Nedved showed some damn heart out there last night. So now MacT is going to put damned Peterson back in? Really? I could think of 5 forwards that should be scratched instead of Nedved. What did Thoreson do out there? 0 hits? This guy is smaller, but is again one of those forwards who needs to be physical to be effective. Torres? Useless last night... a waste of a damn sweater. his bad pass pretty much sealed the Oilers fate. Lupul? Useless as usual. Reasoner, though I love the guy was bad last night... Pisani looked like ****. Hemsky and Sykora were non-factors.

I really think Nedved lipped off MacT last night and that's why he is getting scratched. At least the guy has some fire in his belly for cripes sakes... more of our forwards need that!
Quote:
I didn't know that Nedved told Mact off but it doesn't surprise me.
I loved Mac as much as anyone. I was one of his biggest supporters last year because we were first in fewst shots allowed, and first in blocked shots, the only problem was the goalies. Why would lose games when he outshot teams 35-15. But he doesn't have any excuses this year. Sure we lost Pronger, and sure we had a few injurys but we still have as good of top 9 as anyone in the game. Do you think Quinn, or Burns, or Bowman would have this team playing like this? People talk about "this team has no chemisty" .. well how could they when MacT had new lines every game for the first 20 games in the season?? If Thor would have stayed on the Hemsky line he would be great right now, but when a 22 year old has a bad game MacT sends him to the forth line or the PB in favour of Perersen, who has zero offence punch. We play one of the most gifted, creative players in the game in Hemsky with one with ZERO offensive ability in Petersen and we wonder why this team has no chemistry?? Would anyone besides a defensive technician every play Petersen with Hemsky, or even Petersen on the top PP. We play a .2 ppg player on the top PP...
Quote:
Let me just emphasize that I don't know for sure that Nedved lipped off MacT... I just saw it in another thread and to me it is the ONLY explanation why Nedved would be scratched for this game. If I was Raffi Torres I would be embarrassed that I was getting outhit by Petr Nedved. I think Nedved has represented himself pretty well since the Oilers picked him up and tryed to earn his keep any way he can. I don't recall him making one hit last time he was an Oiler, and I've seen him take a few hits to make plays too which some Oilers won't do. This team needs to grow a pair. I agree with some who want the hard work, lunch bucket Oilers back instead of a team of prima-donnas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprimate View Post
If you listen to the pregame comments on edmontonoilers.com both MacT and Nedved agree that he hasnt been playing well as of late

unfortunately the "Czech-Mates" line isnt working at all, and its time for a change

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Wolfpack

Well, it has been apparent since the 20 game mark that the word is out on how to beat the Oil. Dump the puck in and get as many forecheckers in as possible. Their defencemen cannot get the puck out... period. Their transition game is brutal. I watched last night's game and wondered how frustrated the Oilers forwards must be. Even if they DO get a pass even remotely close to them, all they can do is tip it into the other team's end and make a line change because they've been running around their own end for :45 already.

The Hemsky, Sykora Nedved line just isn't working. They had ONE shift the entire game where they were able to cycle the puck. ONE. That being said, I too noticed that Nedved was finishing his checks, and I've noticed that for about the past 5 games or so. He is not scoring but at least he is doing SOMETHING. I can understand his frustration if he is in the PB tonight.

Dumb, dumb, dumb penalties by the Oilers last night. They can't keep doing that if they want to win.

Sidebar: After the Oilers game I watched the Kamloops Blazers - Vancouver Giants game... and it was actually that great WHL game that salvaged my night of hockey viewing.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I am surprised to hear Staois is back in the lineup. I was led to believe his injury was quite serious....I guess not. This defence needs all the help it can get so it is good news and hopefully Smid is the next dman to sit.
As for Nedved....I honestly hope he never see's the ice again for the Oilers. What a waste of a roster spot he has been. No wonder a bad Philly team waived him.
By whom were you lead to believe this? A rumour on this hockey board? That's the only place I heard about how serious his injury was.

Certainly nowhere did I hear this from any mainstream press

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameht View Post
unfortunately the "Czech-Mates" line isnt working at all, and its time for a change
I agree, but does that change really HAVE to be Toby Petersen?

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Going to a fun last part of the season

I can just see fans ripping everyone and anyone for the next four months

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:01 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Bottom line is if Torres isn't gonna hit, he shouldn't dress, simple as that. Every positive thing in his game stems from hitting.

Absolutely . Does the guy not realize how bad he looks out there lately . The Oilers have nobody that hits hard and consistently anymore . If this team wants to start winning they'd better start forechecking hard and hitting harder . If Torres isn't going to be a leader in that regard then I'd just as soon not have him on the ice .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
I agree, but does that change really HAVE to be Toby Petersen?
What is so bad about Petersen? Can you name 3 good reasons why he should not play? Just 3 is all i ask. Also, who would you put in his place?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:19 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Going to a fun last part of the season

I can just see fans ripping everyone and anyone for the next four months
You know, to be honest, I am finding the forums quite entertaining at the moment.

In fact, when we lose, I usually quip to my roommate that I can't wait to see the reaction on the forum

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Rin

From the sun... Link

STAIOS BACK: Defenceman Steve Staios, who missed seven games with a flare-up in the left knee, returned to the lineup, though not at 100%.

"It's not going to go away overnight. It's going to be something I'll have to deal with," he said of the pain. "But, overall, I feel good enough to come back and play."

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
By whom were you lead to believe this? A rumour on this hockey board? That's the only place I heard about how serious his injury was.

Certainly nowhere did I hear this from any mainstream press
I seem to recall reading in one of the dailys (possibly just conjecture from the reporter) that Staios may need surgery to experience a full recovery from his injury.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote