HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Spezza - Goal Scorer or Playmaker?

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Spezza - Goal Scorer or Playmaker?

I remember a while back discussing if Spezza can be considered a poor man's lemieux in that they are extremely similar players in terms of strengths and weaknesses. The general consensus was that Lemieux was always a goal scorer while Spezza will be like Allison and get far more assists than goals. Based on his numbers in the AHL, as well as in the OHL, Spezza has always IMO been a goal scorer as much as a playmaker. Now in 58 career GP he has 17 G and 21 A - numbers that suggest he is more a scorer than a pure playmaker. Additionally, from his style of play, when he has a scoring oppurtunity he goes after it. Is it time to throw away the Allison comparison. Perhaps Yashin is a better comparison?

Old
12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I remember a while back discussing if Spezza can be considered a poor man's lemieux in that they are extremely similar players in terms of strengths and weaknesses. The general consensus was that Lemieux was always a goal scorer while Spezza will be like Allison and get far more assists than goals. Based on his numbers in the AHL, as well as in the OHL, Spezza has always IMO been a goal scorer as much as a playmaker. Now in 58 career GP he has 17 G and 21 A - numbers that suggest he is more a scorer than a pure playmaker. Additionally, from his style of play, when he has a scoring oppurtunity he goes after it. Is it time to throw away the Allison comparison. Perhaps Yashin is a better comparison?
Let us not disgrace Spezza in a big fashion by comparing him to Yashin.

But anyways, back on topic; Spezza is Spezza. I think it's still too early to tell or compare... he's almost still exploring and trying to find for himself what kind of player he is. Don't worry - in time, Spezza will be great.

Looks like the trade is looking worse and worse for the New York Islanders.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Perhaps Yashin is a better comparison?
Yashin? LOL, spezza is gonna be a Top 3 centre in this league, yashin never will be.

But having said that, I think he is more of a playmaker with a wicked, accurate shot.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Yashin? LOL, spezza is gonna be a Top 3 centre in this league, yashin never will be.
Yashin was a top 3 center for a period of time.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
El_Loco_Avs

goalmaker

Old
12-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Murphy*

I think when he becomes a bit older that he'll become more of a playmaker than goal scorer

Old
12-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral

But having said that, I think he is more of a playmaker with a wicked, accurate shot.

No no no... Spezza MIGHT be while Yashin WAS

Old
12-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
playmaker

Old
12-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Masao

Quote:
The general consensus was that Lemieux was always a goal scorer
No way, Lemieux has always been first and foremost a playmaker.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:59 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
No way, Lemieux has always been first and foremost a playmaker.
... with arguably the best goalscoring ability ever.

Old
12-06-2003, 09:51 AM
ahmon

all -around offensive player..

Old
12-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax≤+bx+c
... with arguably the best goalscoring ability ever.
You're right... but despite that, Lemieux's biggest asset has always been his playmaking and not his goalscoring

Old
12-06-2003, 10:08 AM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Yashin was a top 3 center for a period of time.
Yashin may have had nice stats when with the sens but he hasn't shown that he can lead a team in the playoffs. When there is a ounce of pressure in the atmosphere, the guy folds. In my books, he wasn't a top 3 center in the league.

Old
12-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Spezza has a great scoring touch and ELITE vision which allows him to be an awesome playmaker when needed. The problem is trying to find linemates who have the smarts to anticipate his plays.

He can do both (scoring and passing) very well which only makes him more dangerous but over time, I have no doubt his assists will far exceed his goals scored because he has that uncanny ability to see the ice.

Old
12-06-2003, 11:45 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Spezza has a great scoring touch and ELITE vision which allows him to be an awesome playmaker when needed. The problem is trying to find linemates who have the smarts to anticipate his plays.

He can do both (scoring and passing) very well which only makes him more dangerous but over time, I have no doubt his assists will far exceed his goals scored because he has that uncanny ability to see the ice.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Let him play a few more seasons with the likes of Havlat and Hossa...and they should become one of the more potent lines in the NHL.

Old
12-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Spezza can be considered a poor man's lemieux

Let's not get crazy here.

Old
12-06-2003, 01:05 PM
neelynugs

i like the allison comparison, to a point. in spezza, you're getting a guy who dishes the puck like nobody's business (like allison). he also is a sniper, which will make his playmaking abilities more dangerous (allison's shot is very underrated as well). the only difference being that allison is a much more physical presence, and uses his frame more than spezza. whether spezza will grow into somewhat a physical force is unknown to me, but i can't see him having allison's physical side. but otherwise, i think it's a good comparison.

Old
12-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i like the allison comparison, to a point. in spezza, you're getting a guy who dishes the puck like nobody's business (like allison). he also is a sniper, which will make his playmaking abilities more dangerous (allison's shot is very underrated as well). the only difference being that allison is a much more physical presence, and uses his frame more than spezza. whether spezza will grow into somewhat a physical force is unknown to me, but i can't see him having allison's physical side. but otherwise, i think it's a good comparison.

Who is this Allison fellow that you speak of? I would like to see him play sometime.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:25 AM
berney fkaj

He seams to be more of a playmaker, from the games Ive watched. It is a good bonus that he can also find the back of the net aswell

Old
12-07-2003, 05:50 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Who is this Allison fellow that you speak of? I would like to see him play sometime.

You're not the only one=)

Old
12-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I couldn't have said it better myself. Let him play a few more seasons with the likes of Havlat and Hossa...and they should become one of the more potent lines in the NHL.
Absolutely agreed! Hossa - Spezza - Havlat will be a heck of a line in the future. An explosive cocktail of skills...Really impressive.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
the only difference being that allison is a much more physical presence, and uses his frame more than spezza. whether spezza will grow into somewhat a physical force is unknown to me, but i can't see him having allison's physical side. but otherwise, i think it's a good comparison.
I like the Allison comparison too, and Spezza will probably learn with time he's going to need to use his size to become a dominant player. He's still only 20, and will add more muscle to his body as he matures into his 20's. If he does become the 100 point scorer some have projected him to be I think that's how it's going to happen.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:19 PM
beerpaul*

I don't think there is any comparison...not even Spezza being a poor man's Lemieux. As the most talented player who ever played the game, Mario matched his phenonenal goal scoring abilities with his play-making abilities. His play making and passing were probably only equaled by Gretzky. AS for Spezza, he is excellent as a goal scorer and playmaker. I think he is a better goal scorer though. He can roof it from in close, with anybody in the league. Definately has one of the best wrist shots in the game.
Quote:

Old
12-09-2003, 03:22 PM
The Hamburglar

Lately, Spezza reminds me of Pat LaFontaine.

Closed Thread