HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range.

Old
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range.

A song from a most erudite war protester.

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/Art..._Of_Range.html

Lately I lurk in threads where at least 20 instances of "crap" are used to describe another posters thoughts, where others thoughts are disrespected, where rebuttal ends up being essentially "you know nothing, you don't have a clue, Im right, you're wrong"

I end up wondering why I even participate here anymore. The signal to noise ratio has never been worse.

Yeah, we're all frustrated. But is pissin all over each other the answer to that?

Some people come here to have enjoyable, informed dialogue with others with similar interests.

A quiet wish for more of that!

We don't have to agree, and thats cool, but please keep it to discussion rather than attack.

Some points.

If you ever find yourself trying to make points with several exclamation marks this likely doesn't make your point any more astute. Similar for bolded, or screaming text. If anything its usually a sign of polarized or locked in thinking.

Declaring yourself right has never won a debate.

Strawman arguments can always be burned

A "made up" house of cards is too easy for a wolf to blow down

We all live in glass houses here. Anybody with a posting history has been "wrong", out of line.

Exchanging, or reacting in anger seldom looks intelligent or informed to the reader.

When argueing with an "idiot" realize you both tend to end up looking that way. Much better people than I have noted this. The "idiot" at different times being any of us in anycase. Who hasn't been wrong? Who hasn't been utterly clueless on a topic? Part of the human condition I'd say.

Its rare that a persons opinion is swayed by abuse.

Is it necessary to hilite it and attack and dismiss a posters any opinion on the basis of a few?

To forgive or accept is divine.

What I've found in life is that no other human being shares, or agrees with all my thoughts. This can result in frustration or interest.

Your choice.

Flaming somebody behind a keyboard doesn't make anybody a hero, it doesn't require any particular bravery. So whats the point of it really?

sorry in advance and I'm honestly embarrassed at writing any of this.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-27-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
dynastydays

People should think before they speak yes... and this goes for being completely wrong as much as it goes for conducting yourself with tact.

Some things that people say are just going to be criticized regardless because it is just plain wrong. How they handle that crticism is usually the catalyst of a downward spiral or not.

Look at the overall reactions after the last two SJ/EDM games. On the surface much different looking, but other than a powerplay chances shift, both were very similar efforts from both teams. Glee and Bliss after the win, you see today what its like after the loss.

This is one of the most emotional armchair hockey expert boards around. Most people know just enough to be dangerous...

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
People should think before they speak yes... and this goes for being completely wrong as much as it goes for conducting yourself with tact.

Some things that people say are just going to be criticized regardless because it is just plain wrong. How they handle that crticism is usually the catalyst of a downward spiral or not.

Look at the overall reactions after the last two SJ/EDM games. On the surface much different looking, but other than a powerplay chances shift, both were very similar efforts from both teams. Glee and Bliss after the win, you see today what its like after the loss.

This is one of the most emotional armchair hockey expert boards around. Most people know just enough to be dangerous...
Blasphemy!

There's no such thing as getting lucky in hockey, you make your own breaks.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post

Ouch.

FTR you were "right" on the SJ game in retrospect and probably at the time.

I wanted to believe I saw a more dedicated attention to game in that one and I wanted to hold onto that thought. Theres been few positives, sometimes we try to treasure em

I don't think I offended and sorry if I did.

I feel like I'm on a 12 step program.

Old
01-27-2007, 04:10 PM
HotToddy

I'd rather have a passionate argument than a civil debate.

I do beleive in being respectful and in not taking things personal.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Captain Pilsner

**** you

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
guzzy

Great post Replacement.

I can relate to almost everything you wrote. I have been on both ends of the "idiot" line and it's almost amusing how many people respond to the negative but refuse to recognize the positive. I have flamed and been flamed the past but have been doing my best to avoid it lately because, like you said, flaming behind a keyboard does not make a hero.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:04 AM
theoil

The facty that this is the second thread like this that has had to be started in the last month pretty much says it all. Respected posters who rarely post here anymore says the rest.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty Heart View Post
**** you
To wit...

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
The facty that this is the second thread like this that has had to be started in the last month pretty much says it all. Respected posters who rarely post here anymore says the rest.
I've been here now 2 years. Not sure what it is about this board but its never really had in that time what I'd term a "friendly" feel. Its almost always felt instead a polarized group with different factions continuously fighting.

Other fan groups for instance have camaradery,(isn't that what a fanbase should have?) get togethers, or suggestions thereof but in this group other than a faction in GTA or Vancouver it doesn't seem to happen.

Not surprising in that theres so much infighting seemingly going on here. The thought of a friendly get together would almost seem out of the question.

My take is that if anybody treated their friends the way other posters are generally treated around here they'd have no friends. Especially after the typical bitter angst of a loss.

But given that hardly anybody seems to share the concerns I've expressed it seems likely that status quo will continue here. Most are seemingly fine with that.

One size doesn't fit all in this case.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Great post Replacement.

I can relate to almost everything you wrote. I have been on both ends of the "idiot" line and it's almost amusing how many people respond to the negative but refuse to recognize the positive. I have flamed and been flamed the past but have been doing my best to avoid it lately because, like you said, flaming behind a keyboard does not make a hero.
Thanks. We're all in glasshouses like I say. I shoot for civility. But it isn't wanted here from what I'm seeing. Too bad.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:32 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Thanks. We're all in glasshouses like I say. I shoot for civility. But it isn't wanted here from what I'm seeing. Too bad.
Yes and your point should be well heeded.

I try to be civil but there have been times where I have said things in a way that I shouldn't. We all make mistakes.

This does not mean that your point is less relevant. This board can be a train wreck when the Oilers are losing and lately more than it should.

Lets all try to show respect for each other!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:05 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Not surprising in that theres so much infighting seemingly going on here. The thought of a friendly get together would almost seem out of the question.
I think a large part of the reasoning for this is the sheer size of this board compared to the others.

I think when you have as many people as you do here compared to the other boards, much more of a pack mentality is created, as well as a "everyone man for himself!" type thinking.

Which is really too bad.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:05 AM
grego

When things get bad for the team, this board does get worse and I am around a lot less

I get tired of all the fire xxx coach. Trade xxx. There can occasionally be cases for a few moves but in many cases it is just the ignorant fan wanting change for the sake of change with no fact to base anything upon.

When the team does bad it seems those that jump on the negative stuff jump out and post like crazy on here. The ones that can be more civil and have better views may be around but it is harder to find their posts.

That is often why people will assume that everyone wanted to trade a certain player. It often isn't true, it is just many fans get tired of defending players when a new thread is made about them every few days.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:08 AM
alanschu

I've decided to find something positive from the forums at the moment.

My posting has dropped significantly, and I spend most of the time just lurking and laughing and all of the emotional drama and all around absurdity of it all.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:09 AM
grego

It would be nice if more fans in here would recognize that they should also be happy that the other Oiler fan posters in here do follow the same team, and that for that all share something in common and a love for the same team.

Leave the Flaming for the trolls of other teams that don't take the 10th or 15th request to tone down what they say on here.

It is fine to disagree and at times it is good, but to belittle others is unnecessary.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote