HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is it too early?

Old
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Is it too early?

Looking at the stop gap players on the roster, J Ward, Hossa, Hall, Krog how much better would the team be with Dawes, Immonen, Dubinski, Callahan & Korpedo being recalled and those guys 86'd.

I Am perfectly comfortable with leaving them alone in Hartford, specially the last 3 for the year. But I would like to see what they can do at the NHL level just to get a understanding of where they each are in their development.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:50 PM
FLYLine24*

I'd love to see that, and i think most of us would. This has been the ongoing debate all season, Renney on the other hand does not want to see where these kids are. Giving them 4 minutes of ice time with Orr and Hollweg won't show anything.

Dawes and Immonen should have been given real chances for a good part of the season playing on lines that they are best in. (Dawes 2nd or at the least 3rd, and Immonen 3rd line with some 2nd line)

The other 3 I think it is too early for them. But the occationally callup would not hurt just to get their feet wet (but again, if they get called up give them more then 3 minutes of icetime)

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:51 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Looking at the stop gap players on the roster, J Ward, Hossa, Hall, Krog how much better would the team be with Dawes, Immonen, Dubinski, Callahan & Korpedo being recalled and those guys 86'd.

I Am perfectly comfortable with leaving them alone in Hartford, specially the last 3 for the year. But I would like to see what they can do at the NHL level just to get a understanding of where they each are in their development.
I agree for the most part, except I don't see Hossa as a stop gap. I think he can develop into an effective guy to shut down the opposing teams top line (ala Pandolfo) although obviously not as good as Pandolfo is at it. But yea, Immonen can't do any worse than Krog and Dawes can't do any worse than Hall. If Renney rolls all 4 lines like he did today (every player played at least 10 minutes today) then I think that would help the team as well as develop the young guns. Like you said, I would leave Korpedo and Dubinski down in Hartford for the remainder of the year at least so they could get some more confidence as well as top-line minutes. Callahan on the other hand could go either way, he seems to be dominating the AHL but I think him finishing out the year there would be fine.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think that Dawes, Immo and Cally ought to be up with the big team. Korps and Dubi I think could stand a little more seasoning in the AHL before they get their chance.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

to be honest, as much as we are jonesin for a youth movement Korpikoski and Dubinsky should be left in Hartford for sure this year.

Dawes should have played his way onto the roster the end of last year, beginning of this year and Callahan is doing that right now. Those two are locks IMO. Immonen did not look out of place either. Get them in the lineup!

Twitter
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Larry Melnyk

The kids have been where they should be---as there development has shown...ANd their development will probably only be optimized by staying in Hartford....OTOH, callahn's play has been so good and NHL worthy and the the Ranger's need so glaring (and their 2nd liners so inept) that Callahan belongs in NY

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
The kids have been where they should be---as there development has shown...ANd their development will probably only be optimized by staying in Hartford....OTOH, callahn's play has been so good and NHL worthy and the the Ranger's need so glaring (and their 2nd liners so inept) that Callahan belongs in NY
You think Immo and Dawes deserve to be back in HFD? I think they both showed enough to stay up.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Pizza

There has been a lot of focus on this the past week and tonight Cally notches a hat trick. Show him his Rangers jersey tomorrow.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

All of you have made excellent points. My point is could they do any worst and maybe actually be better than what they would be replacing. I think the answer is yes. Like the rest of you I know we need to be patient. It is hard to see us have prospects that are near and not want to jump the gun.

Callahan, like Dawes last year when he was on fire, is the best time to bring him up. Cally spent an extra year in Jrs as an overaged player. He meets more of the traditional time frame, a 21 year old out Jrs like in the old days that is more physically developed then players normally are today at 19 or 20. At the least Immonen, Dawes and Callahan need to be shown the opportunity. Between now and the deadline we need to find out if they can play in the NHL. It will be a sin to trade them, Immonen and Dawes, without getting a glimpse at whetehr they can or not.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You think Immo and Dawes deserve to be back in HFD? I think they both showed enough to stay up.
In Immo's case, sure do....

Dawes is another story...While he might be ready to contribute in the nHL more then some (Hossa, others), Hartford is and has been better for hia all around development

Old
01-28-2007, 01:23 PM
TheRedressor

It's too early, next year we will start to see players from the purge make the team.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
All of you have made excellent points. My point is could they do any worst and maybe actually be better than what they would be replacing. I think the answer is yes.
At this point, there is no reason why two forwards should not be up and playing on the 3rd line. Let Ortmeyer and Hollweg be the 4th line energy wings and give Callahan a shot on the 3rd line. I would actually go one step further and suggest giving both Dawes and Callahan a shot on the 3rd line with Cullen. Ward, Hossa, Hall & Krog are not the answer for the 3rd line. Not for the short-term, not for the long-term.

The lack of any offense from the 3rd line is so bemoaned and so blatant, I have no idea of how a team that fancies it self a playoff contender has not tried the obvious possibility that is right under their nose. There is no reason why the bottom-2 lines should not be given a chance to look like this:
Dawes-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

The 2nd line center can be either Immonen (who looked better than Cullen in that role) or one of Straka or Nylander.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
At this point, there is no reason why two forwards should not be up and playing on the 3rd line. Let Ortmeyer and Hollweg be the 4th line energy wings and give Callahan a shot on the 3rd line. I would actually go one step further and suggest giving both Dawes and Callahan a shot on the 3rd line with Cullen. Ward, Hossa, Hall & Krog are not the answer for the 3rd line. Not for the short-term, not for the long-term.

From the standpoint of this year's Rangers, I agree, because I have no doubt one or two of the kids could do a better job......But if you are talking about the growth and development of the kid and the Rangers future, I think Hartford has been the best thing...and the play in Hartford shows it..

Old
01-28-2007, 03:07 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
But if you are talking about the growth and development of the kid and the Rangers future, I think Hartford has been the best thing...and the play in Hartford shows it..
That is where you and I diverge. I bring up two particular players. A player like Callahan, whom I see as a future 3rd line player, can best be served for now AND the future by playing with the big club. After all, if your future is on the 3rd line, then what is wrong with starting it now? And, frankly, I see nothing that would benefit him from playing at the AHL level anymore.

And in the case of Dawes, there is not much wrong with a future 2nd line player, developing on a 3rd line, getting around 12 NHL minutes per night. We are not talking about burrying the kids on the 4th line, next to Orr here.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
shoothepuck

Renney still sees this team doing well with the roster he has, and it is doubtfull that much more changes except for line shuffling by him.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

There is no reason to call guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, and Immonen up to play 4th line minutes. Once their ready to fulfill their real NHL roles...then they should be brought up

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
There is no reason to call guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, and Immonen up to play 4th line minutes. Once their ready to fulfill their real NHL roles...then they should be brought up
I think we can all agree that it's pointless to call them up if they're going to play like 6 minutes a night. I would (and do) advocate a call-up if they can get time with the third line.

Old
01-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
personally i cant imagine a single scenario in which half these guys get a shot as long as renneys at the helm

i mean shanny is resigned, the first line stays as is that fills 4 of the top 6 spots on the first 2 lines. and assuming prucha gets the fifth i almost guarantee the 2nd line center position will be filled via free agencey. as far as the bottom 6 spots go, you have to figure hollweg betts ortmeyer and i hate to say it but cullen will prbly take up 4 of those remaing 6 spots. god help us

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote