HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Pay Him

Old
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
You let go of Sykora, and look at a cheaper option (Whitney, Hartnell, Walker, etc.).

Whitney?? He's lighting it up this year. Sykora wishes he was Whitney

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I am really scared when it comes to signing Smyth.

His value is so high right now I think he is going to get overpaid. He is playing like a 45 goal man this year. We might end up paying him like a 45 goal man when really he is closer to a 35 goal man.

I think this is the best that Smyth can play so, I don't think any contract we sign has a chance to be a GREAT deal. After we sign him, it could be a decent deal if he keeps up these results. However it can also be a HORRIBLE deal if he goes back to the guy who scores 30-35 goals rather then the guy this year who looks to score 40-45.

I think it is important for Lowe not to get caught up in his production this year, and to look at the last couple of years. If not we might regret this deal for the next 3-5 years.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Danglefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
You let go of Sykora, and look at a cheaper option (Whitney, Hartnell, Walker, etc.).

Give Smyth a decent raise (no more than 5.5M). 3-4 years maximum, unless he takes a deep discount in any year after that.
I would be extremely happy with making a move like that. Let Sykora go, pick up Whitney (IMO one of the more underrated players in the league) and give Smytty the raise he deserves.

Danglefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil View Post
I've ummed & aahed about whether Smytty is worth more than 5 mill. In fact I've said that is isn't worth "elite" money.
But man, RYAN SMYTH IS THE EDMONTON OILERS. This is without a doubt HIS hockey team.
He must be re-signed. Losing Smyth would be catastrophic to this hockey club.
Smytty is the heart & soul of this Oiler hockey club. He has been for a long time now, but it's never been more evident than it is right now.
He is carrying this team almost single-handedly, as he has done all season long.
He's playing the best hockey of his career, 4 points tonight with still half a period to play.

Ryan is The Oilers....just pay him & keep it that way.
The guy is awesome.
I don't agree, I understand that pro sports in inherintly emotional but, in the end, it will harm this club if he is payed too much. What will hurt us fans more, if smyth leaves or if he stays and isnt' worth the amount we give him for the next 4b years?

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote