HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pavel Brendl

Old
01-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Pavel Brendl

Is this guy still playing hockey? If so who holds his NHL rights? Just curious since the last I read about him was during the lockout where he was cut from a lower lvl Czech team I believe.

I still say his downfall began that season where he was one of the last cuts and SHOULD have made the team. I also remember the same thing with Lundmark one preseason but lost the last spot to York. Why oh why do we ruin our prospects?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Is this guy still playing hockey? If so who holds his NHL rights? Just curious since the last I read about him was during the lockout where he was cut from a lower lvl Czech team I believe.

I still say his downfall began that season where he was one of the last cuts and SHOULD have made the team. I also remember the same thing with Lundmark one preseason but lost the last spot to York. Why oh why do we ruin our prospects?
ESPN says he's still owned by Phoenix. I don't know it that's correct though. He's currently with Mora in the Swedish Elite.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Rodent

Quote:
I still say...
And your claims are still just as preposterous now as they were before.

Brendl showed up to prospects camp overweight, out of shape and with an "entitlement" attitude. He was atrocious in his first training camp, which began with ominous signs earlier at the prospects camp. His attitude issues have plagued him at almost every stop since being traded to Philly. He lost seven jobs in Europe during the lockout including two spots in Euro minors!!! It was always the same problem: His attitude.

I followed him closely during his final season in Juniors with Calgary. Even though his numbers were huge at the beginning of the season, he got benched with regularity in the second half.

He coasted.

As for Jamie... His issues began with an attitude problem during Juniors as well when he demanded a trade because his linemates couldn't score. In NYR, he showed zero heart during training camp or the exhibition games. He also had this odd way of shooting (dipping one knee to the ice) but he never went into the corners, never battled for the puck, never skated into traffic. He was a prissy boy who avoided contact. That's not a matter of talent. That's in his head and heart.

That wasn't anything the Rangers "did" to him. He played like a girlie man. And unless you can score like Pavel Bure or wow fans like Anders Hedberg, avoiding traffic in the NHL won't endear you to many coaches.

Also: Jamie was a playmaking pivot in Juniors. Yet at the major league level, he displayed poor ability to cope with the pace of the NHL game and could not find linemates with the speed necessary to avoid turnovers. So either he became a scoring center or he'd fail. He didn't. So he did.

The condemnation goes to Neil Smith's scouting crew for being interested in these finesse guys who did not have the mettle to do what it takes to succeed at the NHL level. Smith's decisions were not based upon character as the results betray.

Mike York earned his spot with courage and real poise close to the net, where he never rushed his shot and always waited for the goalie to make the first move.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Someone who I know that posts on here said it best... he nick-named him... Pavel "My 2nd Home Is McDonald's" Brendl.

When he came to Rangers training camp in 2000 about 10-15 pounds overweight and got sent down Calgary...

All the talent in the world, no drive, what-so-ever. Easily could have been a 50 goal guy at the NHL level if he ever gave a crap. I'd kill for that kind of talent, and there he goes and wastes it away.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Brendl showed up to prospects camp overweight, out of shape and with an "entitlement" attitude. He was atrocious in his first training camp, which began with ominous signs earlier at the prospects camp. His attitude issues have plagued him at almost every stop since being traded to Philly. He lost seven jobs in Europe during the lockout including two spots in Euro minors!!! It was always the same problem: His attitude.

I followed him closely during his final season in Juniors with Calgary. Even though his numbers were huge at the beginning of the season, he got benched with regularity in the second half.

He coasted.

As for Jamie... His issues began with an attitude problem during Juniors as well when he demanded a trade because his linemates couldn't score. In NYR, he showed zero heart during training camp or the exhibition games. He also had this odd way of shooting (dipping one knee to the ice) but he never went into the corners, never battled for the puck, never skated into traffic. He was a prissy boy who avoided contact. That's not a matter of talent. That's in his head and heart.

That wasn't anything the Rangers "did" to him. He played like a girlie man. And unless you can score like Pavel Bure or wow fans like Anders Hedberg, avoiding traffic in the NHL won't endear you to many coaches.

Also: Jamie was a playmaking pivot in Juniors. Yet at the major league level, he displayed poor ability to cope with the pace of the NHL game and could not find linemates with the speed necessary to avoid turnovers. So either he became a scoring center or he'd fail. He didn't. So he did.

The condemnation goes to Neil Smith's scouting crew for being interested in these finesse guys who did not have the mettle to do what it takes to succeed at the NHL level. Smith's decisions were not based upon character as the results betray.

Mike York earned his spot with courage and real poise close to the net, where he never rushed his shot and always waited for the goalie to make the first move.
Helluva recap on those two guys Rodent. It's nice to get some real insight every once in awhile.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Someone who I know that posts on here said it best... he nick-named him... Pavel "My 2nd Home Is McDonald's" Brendl.

When he came to Rangers training camp in 2000 about 10-15 pounds overweight and got sent down Calgary...

All the talent in the world, no drive, what-so-ever. Easily could have been a 50 goal guy at the NHL level if he ever gave a crap. I'd kill for that kind of talent, and there he goes and wastes it away.
Maybe his weight issues are linked to a slow metabolism or its a Gland issue, or maybe hes just a lazy fat Ass.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:29 AM
ThEd85

He's actually the leading goal scorer in Elitserien with 27 goals in 43 games.

ThEd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEd85 View Post
He's actually the leading goal scorer in Elitserien with 27 goals in 43 games.
He's like " the Hoff "....big in Europe.

Seriously, it's good to see him doing something with all that talent.

Rodent, you da man.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:50 AM
jfc64

He's a good guy! Popular in Mora. Better in the first half of the season, though. His shot is a monster. Maybe next year he could be in a "budget" third line:

Laaaksonen - Forsberg - Brandy (0.7, 3.0, 0.6)

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:36 AM
eco's bones

It's been some years since he's retired but I don't remember Hedberg avoiding traffic. He was a great skater though which helped him no doubt avoid some unnecessary collisions.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Ola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZSgfdIyASU

Here are a film with most of Brendls goals, its a bit old but he have really cooled of in the 2nd half of the season.

Though as anyone can see a big majority of his goals comes from bombing away from the point on the PP. He won the scoring title in both the WHL and the WJC, there is no secret that he can shoot.

His team, Mora, is a extreme budget team, with a really hardworking core of homegrown players, but not much skill. Everything on that team goes through Brendl on the PP, thats pretty much there only chance to get on the board.

Just like Brian McCabe can score in the NHL, so can Brendl, if you build a PP around him, with a core of players that will work extremly hard to get him the puck.

The problem with Neil Smith is that he constantly were looking for role players, like building a puzzle, one player who can skate, one player who can pass and one player who can shoot, and youd have a perfect line in Smith's opinion. Failing to see the importance of backing thoose roleplayers up by solid hockeyplayers.

I mean we had a really flawed team, needed a bit of everthing, who did we bring in, Scott freakin Fraser.

It became impossible for any players to come in here and be a good fit, every forward we had were so special, extreme sniper, extreme checker, extreme playmaker. Nobody that just played a solid hockeygame...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Fletch

Rodent..

couldn't agree more. I cannot remember when I was so disappointed about a player than when I saw Brendl skate for the first time. It was a complete joke. He was barely an ECHLer when he came up. He was completely lost. His second tryout showed great improvement, but still, barely AHL material. He seemed to get it once he went to Philly, but proved he couldn't keep it.

Lundmark was an even greater disappointment because he supposedly had the drive and determination to be a playa. He really never seemed to mature. Low gave him a lot of chances, tried to find different roles for him, but the kid never grew up and played like a little girl too often. That ended up being a disatrous draft day for Smith.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:42 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

He coasted.

Ro, thanks for posting the truth. I've posted several times about the same thing and many of the "expertys" on here derided me for saying such hogwash. I try and not make comemnts on players I have not seen. Not having had an opportunity to see either Brendl or Lundmark before being drafted, I like most here were silly with joy. That is until I laid eyes on the both of them for the 1st time when the NYRs opened the Philipps Arena here in Atlanta. I had my family all with me and my kids knew how excited I was about seeing this two jewels play. First my oldest daughter, then my son noticed the pained expression on my face and wanted to know what was wrong. Was I OK, not feeling well? I said yes, I'm not feeling well and the reason for it was down there on the ice. They both suck.

I do not care that there were other organizations that thought as highly of them as did Smth and company. In what was suppose to be a deep draft, both were extremely flawed players and certainly Brendl was not worthy of being picked 4th. If many NHL scouts and organizations had him rated that high, where do I sign for my NHL scout contract.

We both know that there are times in scouting when it becomes a herd mentality regarding a player. No scout wants to be the one that goes against the tide. Of the two Lundmark to me was the bigger disappointment. He was suppose to have these great leadership characteristics. He was suppose to have grit.

Could we have drafted two players who were 180 degrees from reality? Combined with the Messier failure to be resigned, these two picks were extremely difficult to get over. We gave up useful young talent to acquire those two stiff, doubling the loss. You make deals like those they better be dead on or you end up like we did.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
squilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Ro, thanks for posting the truth. I've posted several times about the same thing and many of the "expertys" on here derided me for saying such hogwash. I try and not make comemnts on players I have not seen. Not having had an opportunity to see either Brendl or Lundmark before being drafted, I like most here were silly with joy. That is until I laid eyes on the both of them for the 1st time when the NYRs opened the Philipps Arena here in Atlanta. I had my family all with me and my kids knew how excited I was about seeing this two jewels play. First my oldest daughter, then my son noticed the pained expression on my face and wanted to know what was wrong. Was I OK, not feeling well? I said yes, I'm not feeling well and the reason for it was down there on the ice. They both suck.

I do not care that there were other organizations that thought as highly of them as did Smth and company. In what was suppose to be a deep draft, both were extremely flawed players and certainly Brendl was not worthy of being picked 4th. If many NHL scouts and organizations had him rated that high, where do I sign for my NHL scout contract.

We both know that there are times in scouting when it becomes a herd mentality regarding a player. No scout wants to be the one that goes against the tide. Of the two Lundmark to me was the bigger disappointment. He was suppose to have these great leadership characteristics. He was suppose to have grit.

Could we have drafted two players who were 180 degrees from reality? Combined with the Messier failure to be resigned, these two picks were extremely difficult to get over. We gave up useful young talent to acquire those two stiff, doubling the loss. You make deals like those they better be dead on or you end up like we did.
Smith paid for it with his job. We paid for it as fans.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post

Yes, Smith wasted assets getting these two players. Heck, the kid he traded to move up to get Lundmark, Savard certainly turned out to be a lot better than Lundmark. The only problem with that draft is that, what was supposed to be a very deep draft, has turned out to be mediocre. The best players from that draft turned out to be the Sedins, Havlat, Jackman and Tim Connolly. Even guys like Beech, Pyatt and Jillson have done nothing.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Speedtrials

The assets we gave up to get Lundmark and Brendl, as well as the Maholtra selection the year before, and Cherniski blowing out his knee in Hartford, really set the organization back. It is just now that I feel we have a decent core of prospects to be excited about, as well as the few young guys who are already on the team.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yes, Smith wasted assets getting these two players. Heck, the kid he traded to move up to get Lundmark, Savard certainly turned out to be a lot better than Lundmark. The only problem with that draft is that, what was supposed to be a very deep draft, has turned out to be mediocre. The best players from that draft turned out to be the Sedins, Havlat, Jackman and Tim Connolly. Even guys like Beech, Pyatt and Jillson have done nothing.
Don't forget Alexeev.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Don't forget Alexeev.

Aleexev was the 2000 draft.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Aleexev was the 2000 draft.
Aleexev was who Tampa drafted with the 1st rounder we included in the Brendl deal. Im assuming that was what he was referring too.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Aleexev was who Tampa drafted with the 1st rounder we included in the Brendl deal. Im assuming that was what he was referring too.

I don't like to go by that, since you don't know who the Rangers would have taken with that pick? Marcel Hossa perhaps?!

Old
01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
McRanger

Quote:
I don't like to go by that, since you don't know who the Rangers would have taken with that pick? Marcel Hossa perhaps?!
That actually wouldnt be too bad. If he was drafted by Sather then like all the other young players we have, he would never get a chance to play. A waste of a draft pick, but at least we wouldnt have him to watch him now.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
alkurtz

The sad thing is that I remember reading an article in the Hockey News prior to the draft that talked about Brendl's horrible eating habits. Again, didn't the Ranger scouting staff do their due diligence? The red flags were out there to see. With Lundmark, I remember the hype being that he was the fastest skater in the draft. Remember the comparisons to Yzerman? What a disaster that draft was...two top ten picks and nothing for it. It takes years for an organization to recover from a draft like that.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Pizza

Due diligence was not part of SOP back then. I think it's better now, but many will disagree....

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:14 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

what a bust!

from his performance in sweden, does anyone think he can make a comeback?

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:53 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
The assets we gave up to get Lundmark and Brendl, as well as the Maholtra selection the year before, and Cherniski blowing out his knee in Hartford, really set the organization back. It is just now that I feel we have a decent core of prospects to be excited about, as well as the few young guys who are already on the team.

Damn Shame what happened to Cherniski. That really did set the organization back. I never liked Lundmark, I remember when Smith made thge Yazermen comparison, I laughed so hard it hurt. I saw Brendl being the goal scoring machine like Bure or Hossa. Savard was dealt because of attitude and Gretzky did not thing highly of him, I remember a game where him Savard & Gretzky were on the ice on a power Play,and Savard actually went behind the net to set a play up and Gretzky was on the left side towards the bottom of the cirlce with this look on face that said it all, he was not happy. when the two players got back to the bench you could see Grezt whispering in Savards ear, not sure what he said, but i'm sure it went like this. Hey, Kid I set up behind the Net, thats why they call it my office. Savard looked like he could care less, he wasn't even nodding or barely acknowleding what was being said to him.
As far as Mahlotra goes, Muckler and smith destroyed him, although Muckler was right he was a 3rd line player. He was rushed to the NHL way to fast.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote