HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Forsberg is becomming a likely possibility

Old
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Its a PP Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I love how if/when the Rangers get Forsberg and he putting up big numbers in the final stretch and the playoffs, the same posters will worship him.

If you don't take a risk, you'll never get a reward.
The reward might not be worth the risk in Forsberg's case. There are so many factors to consider. Are we good enough to win? Can our defense contain opponents in the playoffs? Is it worth it to give up assets for 30 games with Forsberg? Will he last 30 games?

What bugs me most is why we're always in these type of situations. We're always taking high risk/high reward type deals and it never works out. We gave up assets for Lindros, picks for Bure, Zidlicky for Dunham and even though they were good short term pickups the team ultimately accomplished nothing. Except give up on the future. Forsberg will be no different.

Why doesn't this organization consider low risk/high reward players? Use the farm system.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg View Post
let's try to move younger here
Good luck pal..
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Why doesn't this organization consider low risk/high reward players? Use the farm system.
Like?
Chicago Blackhawks traded Tyler Arnason to the Ottawa Senators for Brandon Bochenski and a 2nd round selection in 2006.

New York Islanders traded Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel to the Los Angeles Kings for Denis Grebeshkov, Jeff Tambellini and a 3rd round selection in 2006.

That was low risk..

High risk..
Minnesota Wild traded Dwayne Roloson to the Edmonton Oilers for a 1st round selection in 2006 and a conditional 3rd round selection in 2006.

Now clue risk
Washington Capitals traded Brendan Witt to the Nashville Predators for Kris Beech and a first round selection in 2006.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-01-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
The reward might not be worth the risk in Forsberg's case. There are so many factors to consider. Are we good enough to win? Can our defense contain opponents in the playoffs? Is it worth it to give up assets for 30 games with Forsberg? Will he last 30 games?

What bugs me most is why we're always in these type of situations. We're always taking high risk/high reward type deals and it never works out. We gave up assets for Lindros, picks for Bure, Zidlicky for Dunham and even though they were good short term pickups the team ultimately accomplished nothing. Except give up on the future. Forsberg will be no different.

Mark Messier in 91?

I understand your concerns, but if Forsberg doesn't have the foot problem, I would be more than happy to deal for him. As of right now, it is getting better and better.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I love how if/when the Rangers get Forsberg and he putting up big numbers in the final stretch and the playoffs, the same posters will worship him.
Will you also love how if/when the Rangers get Forsberg he plays 5 games for us, gets injured, and then re-signs with Philly in the off season?

Quote:
If you don't take a risk, you'll never get a reward.
I agree. But when should the risk be considered foolhardy? I know we're talking about a world class player here. But aren't these so-call risks the reason we've been so "stellar" the last dozen years? In a situation like this, the risk isn't really in the player, it's in the cost. This team has managed itself like an addicted gambler who doesn't know when enough is enough. We're talking about chips we can ill afford to gamble with. I think this team is still too much a work in progress to swing for a flash in the pan cup run at the expense of upper echelon prospects/young players (i.e. Prucha, Tyutin, Montoya, Dawes, etc.). And I think that's the concern alot us hypocrites have. If you want to tell me Forsberg can be had for a 4th rounder and Jessimen, I'll leave work right now to go Philly and pick him up. Anything more than that, given his injury history, I pass. True, we may miss out on the Cup/playoffs this year, but I'd rather be poised for a string of Cup contending years than re-visit 93-94.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Our biggest flaw is NO scoring other than line 1. Henrik and the D(despite their faults) Have given us every chance to win some of these games..We lose by a goal here there

Just like last year

The 1st Line CARRIES this team offensively AND Jagr is not even fully healthy this year.

Is it a risk...yes but Peter Forsberg is one of the GREATEST players ever to play the game.

would he be a rent a player...I'm not so sure. New York is a great place to play. They could really roll out the red carpet for him. Playing ona team with Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Shanahan, Lundqvst must have it's appeal.

His game would have a whole lot less personal pressure in NY than in Philly.

02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Mark Messier in 91?

I understand your concerns, but if Forsberg doesn't have the foot problem, I would be more than happy to deal for him. As of right now, it is getting better and better.

If Forsberg doesnt he a foot problem He is the BEST all around player in the NHL.

He is as good as it gets. He has skills like TGO

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Mark Messier in 91?

This isn't the same situation as Messier and I'm not saying we should never trade.

My point is, our organization relies too heavy on "risky" players. Lindros concussions, Bure's knee, Dunham's groin. Forsberg is in the same boat with his recurring foot injury and there's a good chance he'll sign somewhere else after the season.

I guess it depends on your opinion of the team. Are we really contenders, one piece away from the cup? I don't think we are, that's why I feel its not worth it.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am sorry is this thread about Forsberg to NYR?
Why don't we have a thread dedicated to every player who is mentioned in relation to the Rangers?After a tough loss,is it really necessary to start with the time is ticking crap?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
If Forsberg doesnt he a foot problem He is the BEST all around player in the NHL.

That is like saying if my uncle doesn't have balls,then he is my aunt

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:36 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That is like saying if my uncle doesn't have balls,then he is my aunt
or,

If your grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:00 PM
dave4

Quote:

If Forsberg doesn't have a foot problem the Flyers are competitive and not looking to trade him.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Our biggest flaw is NO scoring other than line 1. Henrik and the D(despite their faults) Have given us every chance to win some of these games..We lose by a goal here there

Just like last year

The 1st Line CARRIES this team offensively AND Jagr is not even fully healthy this year.

Is it a risk...yes but Peter Forsberg is one of the GREATEST players ever to play the game.

would he be a rent a player...I'm not so sure. New York is a great place to play. They could really roll out the red carpet for him. Playing ona team with Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Shanahan, Lundqvst must have it's appeal.

His game would have a whole lot less personal pressure in NY than in Philly.
The problem is how long can PF realistically be a part of this team, even if he re-signs with us? 1, 2 more years? I hate that mentality of going for it all NOW. Look, if we can get him for a low end prospect then fine, take a chance and roll the dice for the playoffs as anything can happen once you're in. But short of that I'd rather stick with what we got and sign a younger talented UFA in the offseason to come in and be a part of the FUTURE of this team. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd love to see a team comprised of a core group of guys who play together for 5 years. I still think it's possible.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote