HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Forsberg is becomming a likely possibility

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
  #76
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Why don't we just forget about Forsberg now and sign him in the off season for nothing?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
  #77
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
When Forsberg leaves Philly be sure he will NOT be returning. He's saying what he has to to the press, the team. He is the Captain and from all Ive heard a good guy. He's not hating on the Philadelphia town or fans....

But when he signed with Philly they were picked to win the East and that team and coach and GM are GONE

Quick rebuild? lol

He didnt sign up for a rebuild the 1st time he wont be re-signing.

He's moving on....now or in the summer..

I agree the Rangers are not the standout cup contender, but they do look a whole lot better with PF in the lineup. And New York has it's other appealing qualities.

PLUS THERE IS AN EXCELLENT FOOT DR. ON PARK AVE SOUTH

Laugh if you want, but the Flyers have over $23 million to throw around in free agency this summer. That's enough for some high quality talent to make them a playoff team again.

They might play like crap as a team, but there's a lot of talent there that just needs to be steered in the right direction.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
  #78
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why don't we just forget about Forsberg now and sign him in the off season for nothing?
Because if he's not traded as a rental, he'll either retire or sign in Philadelphia.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
  #79
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Because if he's not traded as a rental, he'll either retire or sign in Philadelphia.
How do you know this? Assuming he can get healthy he thinks he can play for 2-3 more years...why do you think he would only re-sign with Philly?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
  #80
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
How About We Learn Our Lesson And Realize Giving Up Prospects For 32 Game Injury Prone 30+ Year Old Players Is A No Win Situation For The Rangers. Forsberg Is Not Going To Win Us A Stanley Cup If We Cant Play Defense And He Cant Stay On The Ice. In The Meantime, Whoever We Send There Will Burn Us For Years.
Great points, tell our management that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Laugh if you want, but the Flyers have over $23 million to throw around in free agency this summer. That's enough for some high quality talent to make them a playoff team again.

They might play like crap as a team, but there's a lot of talent there that just needs to be steered in the right direction.
Why throw around that money in the summer? The Flyers need to rebuild. They need more young talent in that system. The only two forwards in the system who can do damage some day are Giroux and Ruzicka, and really, they're your only prospects worth anything. You need TONS of help on defense and in net. Why not start over?

Nice avatar by the way.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
  #81
squilber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
To be honest, fair value for Forsberg is somewhere between the Leetch and Weight deals, due to both Forsberg's health and pending free agency. A realistic deal would be the following:

a) a choice of either Dawes or Immonen
b) a choice of either Girardi or Pock
c) either a 2nd round pick in 2007, or a conditional 2nd in 2008 (which becomes a 1st if Forsberg re-signs with the Rangers
and
d) either Hall and Rachunek, or Malik (either choice would approximate about $2.7 million reduced for time left in the season), added to the deal to balance salaries for cap purposes.

I would be surprised, given both his health and his contract passed this season, for a deal of Forsberg to bring back an A or B type of prospect.
Too much. Eliminate A and B. I would prefer a second rounder + all 3 mentioned in D. I know, the Flyers won't do it. The plan should be to wait until closer to the deadline and the Flyers may get desperate or risk getting nothing in return. It also helps to see how that bad foot is doing. If it is bad news, pull back and wait for next year's strong free agency crop at center.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
  #82
squilber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
How About We Learn Our Lesson And Realize Giving Up Prospects For 32 Game Injury Prone 30+ Year Old Players Is A No Win Situation For The Rangers. Forsberg Is Not Going To Win Us A Stanley Cup If We Cant Play Defense And He Cant Stay On The Ice. In The Meantime, Whoever We Send There Will Burn Us For Years.
Agreed. Remember Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller for Bobby Carpenter? Espo's great legacy for the Rangers, besides the Sassoon commercial.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
  #83
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How do you know this? Assuming he can get healthy he thinks he can play for 2-3 more years...why do you think he would only re-sign with Philly?
He's a loyal guy, he says he thinks he owes Philly for the **** he's put everyone through with his injuries. He's said multiple times that he would resign in Philly as long as his foot can hold up. He would accept a trade to a contender but it would be in the same mould as Weight or Recchi last year. He'd sign with Philly in the summer. You don't have to believe me, just saying what he and others have said about the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Great points, tell our management that.

Why throw around that money in the summer? The Flyers need to rebuild. They need more young talent in that system. The only two forwards in the system who can do damage some day are Giroux and Ruzicka, and really, they're your only prospects worth anything. You need TONS of help on defense and in net. Why not start over?

Nice avatar by the way.
The Flyers think they can rebuild this summer with all that money. They have a lot of talent that just isn't playing up to potential. A motivational and systems coach is needed, first and foremost. They need one or two good defensemen (of which there are a number available this summer), they may look at goaltending although the belief is that they want one year of Nitty playing behind a real team to evaluate him. Plus they think if they can get one top forward (Drury, Gomez, Datsyuk) and get Forsberg at slightly less (rumours are $4 million a year) then they'll be prepared to play with and without Forsberg if he's hurt.

This team got behind the 8-ball right away and just doesn't know how to win anymore. They need a fresh start with some fresh blood in key positions and they'll rebound really quickly (which may be hard to admit as Rangers fans ).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  #84
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He's a loyal guy, he says he thinks he owes Philly for the **** he's put everyone through with his injuries.
The only **** he should feel bad about putting everyone through is the "**** that happens." You cannot seriously fault the guy for these injuries. He's not dogging it, he's not mistreating the organization, he just cannot go. I am sure that injury hurts like a mother. He owes nothing.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  #85
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Because if he's not traded as a rental, he'll either retire or sign in Philadelphia.
Really?

I'd say once he's gone there is ZERO chance he comes back to the Flyers next year no matter what he says now.

You think if he goes to ANY team thats winning and they make a significant run in the playoffs, he's going to turn around and go back to Philly?

Thats not likely

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
  #86
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post

This team got behind the 8-ball right away and just doesn't know how to win anymore. They need a fresh start with some fresh blood in key positions and they'll rebound really quickly (which may be hard to admit as Rangers fans ).
I think Peter Forsberg may be the one who needs a fresh start.

The Flyer experience has been a drag on an otherwise great career. A series of unfortunate reasons for that....but none the less.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
  #87
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
The only **** he should feel bad about putting everyone through is the "**** that happens." You cannot seriously fault the guy for these injuries. He's not dogging it, he's not mistreating the organization, he just cannot go. I am sure that injury hurts like a mother. He owes nothing.
It's how he feels. He's even said those words "I feel like I owe Philly". He's put this entire season of crap on his shoulders, very admirably and probably unnecessarily. It's just the kind of guy he is. I know it's not his fault, and it pisses me off when people fault him or make light of his injuries. He can't do anything about it. He was born with two gifts, one makes him one of the best players on the planet, the other makes him very brittle. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Really?

I'd say once he's gone there is ZERO chance he comes back to the Flyers next year no matter what he says now.

You think if he goes to ANY team thats winning and they make a significant run in the playoffs, he's going to turn around and go back to Philly?

Thats not likely
As I said, I can't convince you of anything. I just feel that people really underestimate the man's loyalty.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
  #88
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He was born with two gifts, one makes him one of the best players on the planet, the other makes him very brittle. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
And that's exactly why we shouldn't deal for him. What is a soft team like the Rangers going to do to keep everyone from running him if he comes here? We gonna play Shanny on the same line with him to get his back?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
  #89
squilber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And that's exactly why we shouldn't deal for him. What is a soft team like the Rangers going to do to keep everyone from running him if he comes here? We gonna play Shanny on the same line with him to get his back?
If you are going to spend, I'd prefer a younger big animal who can score like Shane Doan. Not as talented as Forsberg, but a dangerous player.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
  #90
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Because if he's not traded as a rental, he'll either retire or sign in Philadelphia.
Spoke to some people about that theory and it's pretty much true at this point. One source said. "The only way that Peter doesn't sign back with the Flyers next season is if he goes somewhere (Detriot, San Jose, New York) he feels comfortable with the organization and that they have a better chance then Philadelphia would by signing free agents."

That being said, there is a fifty fifty chance that he will sign back with the flyers. One thing I can guarentee you is that the Flyers organization is not going to sit around and wait to see if Forsberg is loyal to his word. They will target free agents regardless of the situation. They are hoping for an NYR situation in 2004, where they cleared house and were able to ride the back of a few players in 2006 and make the playoffs WHILE rebuilding. The problem that Philly has right now is that they don't feel they have the goaltender to carry them (Montoya anyone?)

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:38 PM
  #91
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
How About We Learn Our Lesson And Realize Giving Up Prospects For 32 Game Injury Prone 30+ Year Old Players Is A No Win Situation For The Rangers. Forsberg Is Not Going To Win Us A Stanley Cup If We Cant Play Defense And He Cant Stay On The Ice. In The Meantime, Whoever We Send There Will Burn Us For Years.
Maloney specifically referenced the Lindros deal in his interview this past week. While he was not critical of Lindros he ruled out any similar deal for the Rangers moving forward. He flat out laughed at the suggestion that Staal might be part of such a deal.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
  #92
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
No to Montoya as well.

Again risk, reward....and proximity. Here it does not add up. The more I think about it, the less likely any deal with Philly seams.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
  #93
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Whether you want to believe me or not,that is up to you.Are you calling me a liar?

If you look back to another Forsberg thread,you will see a post which was made nearly 36 hours before the Don Maloney interview on FAN

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=334477&page=5

Scroll down to post #114
So unless you're his nephew, who gave you his email address?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
  #94
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
People need to not kid themselves, if the Rangers aquire Forsberg and bring in a top 4 Dman at the deadline, they are the contenders in the east.

They will have three lines that can score (sound familiar, BUFFALO)

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Hossa-Forsberg-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Ward

say they play NJ in the first round, theres no way they can shut down Jagr and Forsberg
What exactly do you think it would cost us in assets to land Forsberg and a top 4 d-man? (my guess is a Prucha, one of our top defensive prospects, and probably some high draft picks)

We'd set ourselves back significantly for the long term....

No thanks!


Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-28-2007 at 03:22 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
  #95
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What exactly do you think it would cost us in assets to land Forsberg and a top 4 d-man? (my guess is a Prucha, one of our good defensive prospects, and probably some high draft picks)

We'd set ourselves back significantly for the long term....

No thanks!
Here are the players that could be dealt and not significantly hurt the team for the long term:

Immonen
Dawes
1st Round Pick in 07
Pock
Lampman
Liffiton
Jessiman
Montoya

I'm am not saying trade it ALL, but a combination of those things could acquire Forsberg and a top 4 dman.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
  #96
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
They are hoping for an NYR situation in 2004, where they cleared house and were able to ride the back of a few players in 2006 and make the playoffs WHILE rebuilding. The problem that Philly has right now is that they don't feel they have the goaltender to carry them (Montoya anyone?)
That would be a deal breaker for me.....Can't give Montoya to the Flyers

No way

I'm not totally against dealing him for the right player....but not to the Flyers. Unless they severly overpaid

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
  #97
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Here are the players that could be dealt and not significantly hurt the team for the long term:

Immonen
Dawes
1st Round Pick in 07
Pock
Lampman
Liffiton
Jessiman
Montoya

I'm am not saying trade it ALL, but a combination of those things could acquire Forsberg and a top 4 dman.
Immomen, Pock and the 1st IF he signs with the Rangers next year.

That gives us this season to make a go and next year to potentially start out with TWO Amazing top lines and the summer to tweak out the rest and sign a TOP D man FA and/or promote Staal, Baranka, Girardi, Kopedo, Dubi etc

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
  #98
PhillyFlyers1796
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How do you know this? Assuming he can get healthy he thinks he can play for 2-3 more years...why do you think he would only re-sign with Philly?
Why would he sign in New York?

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:33 PM
  #99
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Why would he sign in New York?
Where did I say he would sign in NY? I simply asked SIAT why he thought PF would only re-sign in Philly. I'm not saying he wouldn't, just that as a UFA he could go pretty much wherever he wants...and there are a lot more place that aren't Philly than are.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:37 PM
  #100
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Immomen, Pock and the 1st IF he signs with the Rangers next year.

That gives us this season to make a go and next year to potentially start out with TWO Amazing top lines and the summer to tweak out the rest and sign a TOP D man FA and/or promote Staal, Baranka, Girardi, Kopedo, Dubi etc
From the way things are currently shaping up a Immonen wouldn't be in their best intrests. The Flyers have 3 centers for the future: Carter, Richards and Umberger. The only way I could see the Rangers not giving up a 1st rounder is Monty going there.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.