HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Giguere pulled yet again

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Giguere pulled yet again

This has happened for the 2nd straight game, and has happened quite a few times this year. Blasted by Detroit and now blasted by Atlanta. The whole team isn't playing well either. They're very poor defensively this season, and can't seem to score a big goal. Can anyone say fluke? How long does this go on until a change has to be made?

Old
12-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

vCash: 500
i think this whole team had some delicate chemistry, and the big signings ruined it.
I might be alone in this thought, but i thought Oates and Thomas would be better than Federov and Prospal, basically the ducks arent a No-name, out work you, and score clutch goals team anymore.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Afino
The Juice

Two words: Jose Theodore. Repeat??

Old
12-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
This has happened for the 2nd straight game, and has happened quite a few times this year. Blasted by Detroit and now blasted by Atlanta. The whole team isn't playing well either. They're very poor defensively this season, and can't seem to score a big goal. Can anyone say fluke? How long does this go on until a change has to be made?
Two months do not obliterate their accomplishments last year. Not directed at you, but some people are so quick to belittle actual accomplishment, whether it's a team or a player. Well, the Hurricanes have, in fact, done nothing since reaching the Finals two years ago. And the Ducks are slow out of the gate this season. And so what if they overachieved? (I'm not as ready as some to jump to that conclusion regarding the Ducks.)

At least they accomplished something. That's commendable.

Just my opinion.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Two words: Jose Theodore. Repeat??

Arturs Irbe what?

Old
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'm amazed Atlanta has 5 goals and Kovalchuk has one point (an assist).

Old
12-05-2003, 04:57 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Arturs Irbe what?
Jim Carey when?

lol jking aside, i think the ducks are gonna pull it together and make the playoffs!!!

Old
12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Hockeyfan02

I think this team needs a serious wake up call/reality check. Seems to me they think they can go to the arena, not work, and still win games. I still think they can make the playoffs but they need to get their act together. Though there is a lot of turnover from last year and it took time last year for this team to gel in terms of chemistry. Giguere also started out slow out of the gate last season and it wasnt until late December that he and the rest of the team started to get going. I'm not ready to push the panic button because it is still early in the season, its not even half way through the season.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Jim Carey when?

lol jking aside, i think the ducks are gonna pull it together and make the playoffs!!!
They better pull it together soon. early or not, Edmonton did this last year. And these early season loses will add up.

Especially with Nashville, Columbus and calgary on the doorstep wanting to be in the play-offs

if they dont make the play-offs, I think that would be a first for Fedorov.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:22 PM
guinness
those were the days

But didn't Anaheim suck for the first half of last season and then turn it on the second half? I wouldn't be too worried right now if I was a Ducks fan, the season is still early.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Can anyone say fluke?
Talking about the Ducks or Jiggy here? Cause that's what was said about Theodore last year too, after he got his big contract just like Giguere. Look at him now. He's very close to his numbers from two years ago. The bigger contract with the added pressure that comes with it combined with the usual flat performance the year following a strong but unexpected playoff performance usually can explain a part of the situation. Minny look like they're in the same boat.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:23 PM
KariyaIsGod*

They were the best team in the league the second half of last season. Maybe the trend is repeating itself...

Don't push the panic button yet.

Remember, Detroit scored what, 5 PP goals on them. Giguere was hung out to dry.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:33 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I don't know if this means anything or not, but one of the things mentioned the other night during the Wings game was that some of the guys have been watching films of Giguere and they are finding his weak spots and capitalizing on them. And I'm sure the Wings aren't the only ones who are doing or did that.

Maybe that is part of what's going on, but after watching the game the other night, it just didn't seem like they really had a lot of coherence out there...they made some really obvious and stupid mistakes. Okay,we are guilty of that too, but it just seemed like that was happening a lot. Maybe it was just me, I don't know.

Do you think the absence of Thomas and the others really is making that much of a difference? Just wondering...

Old
12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Jerky Leclerc

The Ducks are struggling because the team lost its grit up front. Stumpy didn't want to return. Leclerc and now Niedermayer are injured. This team doesn't need Mike Comrie. It needs Stumpy Thomas back. There is a serious problem with chemistry and the defense has been horrendous in front of Giguere. Carney and Havelid have not played their usual steady game.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

How much grit do you need? The Ducks, firing on all cylinders, have Leclerc, Niedermayer and Rucchin in their top-6 for grit, and Fedorov isn't any slouch in this department either.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
How much grit do you need?
At least one more...

Old
12-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
This has happened for the 2nd straight game, and has happened quite a few times this year.
These were the first two times it's happened this season, actually. Nice exaggeration, though.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Snap Wilson

Thanks, Trottier.

You're 100% correct. Regardless of what happens, last year was a great season, and the playoff run was both exhilirating and exhausting. It's a feeling every hockey fan should experience at least once in their lives.

As for Jiggy, it's not scouting. The problem is clearly mental. His positioning, so solid last year, is really shaky. He isn't just reacting as he did last year. He's all over the place. Maybe the expectations from last season are weighing on him. Or maybe Mrs. Jiggy is bad luck.

We played tight, controlled hockey in the defensive zone last year. This year? Chickens with our heads cut off. Can't get the puck out of the zone. And because we don't get crisp, clear breakouts, we're suffering on offense.

THIS is where we're really getting killed. We have the skill to really do something on offense, but we have no time or room to use it. We don't enter the O-zone with any speed, defenses swarm the puckhandler, and out comes the puck.

We didn't "suck" in the first half last year. We dropped games in the damnedest way, but the team play was very promising. From about the fifth game on, I thought we were really on to something, and it was no surprise when we finally went on a tear.

This year, that ain't happening. If anything, we're WORSE than our record (currently two games under .500). My feeling is we're a 70-point team, but 70-point teams can finish anywhere from 60 to 80 points due to blind luck. We could find our way back to the playoffs, but right now, I'm doubting it.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Jerky Leclerc

The weight of expectation must be hanging like an albatross around Bryan Murray's neck. Disney is forking over the bucks and this is the team they got? Last year, they overachieved. This year, they are underachieving and not playing solid hockey. Babcock needs to do something quick to turn this boat around.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Kukla

Not the same goalie as last year. Was at the Wing game and he looked lost. Fighting the puck and looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:26 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Dear Jerky Leclerc,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but you can't have Stumpy back...we have grown rather fond of him in the short time he's been here, and the chemistry he has developed with Brett and Pavel is really nice. Besides, you got Sergei.

Sorry!

Sincerely,
Wings fans

Old
12-05-2003, 07:34 PM
lux_interior

I didn't watch the game, but I'm guessing the Ducks were still a bit shell shocked after the shellacking in Detroit.

The Wings pretty much handed the Ducks their Gluteus Maximus, Medius, Minimus, Piriformis, Quadratus Lumborum, Internal and External Gemellus on a silver platter. It takes awhile to recover from that.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

The Detroit Proctologists.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
i think this whole team had some delicate chemistry, and the big signings ruined it.
I might be alone in this thought, but i thought Oates and Thomas would be better than Federov and Prospal, basically the ducks arent a No-name, out work you, and score clutch goals team anymore.
The Prospal signing was an obvious mistake from the get-go. Murray doesn't make mistakes often, fortunately.

Fedorov is an elite player and more than a suitable replacement for Kariya.

The problem is that for the price of Prospal, they could have had Oates/Stumpy back. Then I feel they would have been a great, great team with less of the spring's magic gone.

Feds has had some pretty good playoffs performances in his career and will be handy, IMO.

Old
12-05-2003, 09:07 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
I didn't watch the game, but I'm guessing the Ducks were still a bit shell shocked after the shellacking in Detroit.

The Wings pretty much handed the Ducks their Gluteus Maximus, Medius, Minimus, Piriformis, Quadratus Lumborum, Internal and External Gemellus on a silver platter. It takes awhile to recover from that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full of Booger
The Detroit Proctologists.
We should stop before we make ***** of ourselves. We're going to be the butt of many jokes.

I don't think Prospal is as bad as Vlad says. He and Sykora have had pretty good chemistry. He's a good second liner. If anything the Ducks overpaid him. But not a complete waste.

Closed Thread