HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we have any UFA targets at forward?

Old
01-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Do we have any UFA targets at forward?

This offseason, we know Lowe will almost guarenteed be taking huge shots at Stuart, Timmonen, Markov, etc. But are there UFA forwards that you think he should be taking pretty big runs at? Will we have the cap space to do that? IMO after we upgrade the mess that is known as our defense corps, there are a few spots we could upgrade at forward....most noteably in my mind centre. Anyways, here are my targets...not saying to get all these guys, but to have a lot of interest in:

1) Scott Hartnell - Great two way, 30 goal man, shot blocker, kills penalties, future captain, and a good old Lloyd boy who used to kick my a** every time I played against him!!! Would command a contract of something like 4 yrs. 17 mil.

2) Paul Karyia - Are the Preds really going to lose all these guys??? Anyways some are probably questioning this one on my part but my reasoning for this is because Lupul needs a playmaker, and there's hardly any playmaking centre's out there, so a playmaking LW would be the next best thing for him. Karyia fits this bill, and in 05 when he was a UFA it sounded like he really wanted to come here, but we weren't willing to give him the money he wanted. Would command a contract of something like 4 yrs. 20 mil.

3) Mike York - There are better playmaking centre's out there(Datsyuk, Stumpel), but I think he's the one that fits the all around bill. He won't cost a lot, the coaches loved him while here, smart in his own end, great passer, great in the dressing room. This is the guy that I honestly EXPECT to see back here next season because everyone in the organization is so high on him, and he might feel it is where he plays his best hockey. Same as Karyia would be great with Lupul, and is still only 29 so I doubt he's not on the downside. Would command a contract of something like 2 yrs. 3.5 mil(this is a guess, he's had such a horrible year, but he's got a good track record).

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Spawn

I donno who, but I think the Oilers need an actual playmaking centerman who would be able to play with Lupul

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:03 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Got a UFA list handy?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Unsustainable

I think landing a guy like Datsyuk would be amazing. I just don't see us getting anyone of his caliber due to the situation on defence.

p.s. Good game tonight eh TC!

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Got a UFA list handy?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=299042 heres a team-by-team list

Old
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the CuP View Post
I think landing a guy like Datsyuk would be amazing. I just don't see us getting anyone of his caliber due to the situation on defence.

p.s. Good game tonight eh TC!
Ew to Datsyuk he is a non-playoff preformer, I'd rather the Oilers looked at a guy like Briere he'd likely cost around the same, but unless the cap and budget went up, still wouldn't be able to afford a player like this and resign smyth unless we moved some contracts.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Ew to Datsyuk he is a non-playoff preformer, I'd rather the Oilers looked at a guy like Briere he'd likely cost around the same, but unless the cap and budget went up, still wouldn't be able to afford a player like this and resign smyth unless we moved some contracts.
I never said I wanted Datsyuk. I said I wanted someone of his caliber. Believe me I watched the playoffs last year too. Never once did I see Datsyuk.

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the CuP View Post
I never said I wanted Datsyuk. I said I wanted someone of his caliber. Believe me I watched the playoffs last year too. Never once did I see Datsyuk.
alright, I misunderstood your post, so we agree then

Old
01-28-2007, 03:26 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Okay, I want Laperriere, Armstrong, Modin, Barnaby, Gelinas, Comrie (don't care if the odds are 9 million to 1), McAmmond and Zubrus on the list. And that's only if we don't need a premiere guy. It's a shopper's summer so far.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Wishlist 1:
M. Handzus
S. Hartnell
P. Kariya
B. Shanahan (wishful thinking)

Wishlist 2:
S. Kapanen
M. York
K. Calder
B. Guerin

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:46 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If we plan on a) Keeping Smyth b) Getting a #1 defenseman, bringing in another UFA forward seems highly unlikely.
However, if we were to do so, it would be Mike York. The man, IMO, is the perfect fit to Joffrey Lupul. He has the ability to take the puck to the net, where Lupul is best at (him being a master of the slot is an urban legend, Lupul had one succesful 4-goal game where every shot went in from the slot on a terrible goalie; 90 percent of his goals last season came from crashing the net). York can carry the puck, move it quickly, and make smart plays. If we could bring him in for less than 2 million, I'd do it without thinking.

Here are our cap commitments for the next season (this is how much we're paying, not their cap hit)

Ales Hemsky 3,600,000
Dwayne Roloson 4,000,000
Shawn Horcoff 3,600,000
Fernando Pisani 2,500,000
Joffrey Lupul 2,535,000
Jarret Stoll 2,200,000
Jason Smith 1,976,000
Steve Staios 2,900,000
Ethan Moreau 1,750,000
Ladislav Smid 984,200
Marc-Andre Bergeron 988,000
Marty Reasoner 950,000
Patrick Thoresen 570,000
TOTAL 28,553,200

We have Smyth, Greene, Torres, Hejda, and Markannen left to sign.

Smyth, Greene would push the cap up to ~$35,000,000

That's with us needing:
-A #1 defenseman (possibly another d-man as well seeing as how it would cost us one to trade for one)
-2 4th Line wingers
-a backup
-A 3rd/4th line centerman

Unless we plan on starting an all-rookie 4th line next year, we'll need to bring in a UFA center (Sykora/Nedved isn't going to get it done).

The defenseman should cost us around a net 4 million...taking us to 39 million with 4 roster positions to fill. That forces us to make some trades, as our cap for next season is going to be around 42 million dollars. Torres is going to have to go, or any of our long-term signed players. I don't know what Lowe was thinking when planning for the future. Unless the EIG is committed to dropping 45 million on players' salaries in the next 2 years, I see no chance for us contending.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 01-28-2007 at 03:53 AM.
The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If we plan on a) Keeping Smyth b) Getting a #1 defenseman, bringing in another UFA forward seems highly unlikely.
However, if we were to do so, it would be Mike York. The man, IMO, is the perfect fit to Joffrey Lupul. He has the ability to take the puck to the net, where Lupul is best at (him being a master of the slot is an urban legend, Lupul had one succesful 4-goal game where every shot went in from the slot on a terrible goalie; 90 percent of his goals last season came from crashing the net). York can carry the puck, move it quickly, and make smart plays. If we could bring him in for less than 2 million, I'd do it without thinking.
15 points and -17, even on Philly thats bad, maybe if its for like 700k, then maybe, but otherwise not a chance.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
15 points and -17, even on Philly thats bad, maybe if its for like 700k, then maybe, but otherwise not a chance.
I'd sign York in a heart beat, if we could sign him to a 1 or 2 yr contract at about 1-1.25m per. He can play anywhere in your top 9.

Sure he's sucked since leaving Edmonton, but so has just about every other forward who's left Edmonton lately. Comrie took a very long time to get back on track after leaving. Nedved was good here, then tailed off terribly after signing else where. Samsonov has been scrutinized alot in Montreal, and eventhough he wasn't a game breaker here, its obvious that he was better here, than he is now. Im sure Im forgetting a handful of players too.

Once again, I'd love York as a 2nd tier signing for under 1.5m/ yr; obviously he wouldnt be a priority though, but he's got versatility, and is familiar with the locker room.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Cerebral

I'd be looking at some of the cheaper options available like Calder, York, Sturm, Modin, Fedotenko and possibly Handzus. There are a ton of options out there so we should be able to find a bargain (getting a guy like Calder for under $2.0 million would be a steal). We aren't going to have much to spend at all (if anything - resigning Smyth and grabbing a defenceman could very well cap us out or even put us over our budget) so we'll have to look for potential steals. We really need Lowe to go out and find a real bargain like Vancouver did with Carter last year and like Carolina did with Whitney and Stillman.

01-28-2007, 04:49 AM
okgooil

Why does this post exist??? Really, we need D, there should only be talk of signing a D Man. If for some reason we don't sign Smyth or Sykora, then maybe, maybe, bring this thread back up.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Why does this post exist??? Really, we need D, there should only be talk of signing a D Man. If for some reason we don't sign Smyth or Sykora, then maybe, maybe, bring this thread back up.
Perhaps because it's silly to look at things so narrowly? The team certainly needs a defenceman but that doesn't mean we should stop talking about anything else until that defenceman is found. Likewise, it would be foolish for Lowe to strictly focus on defencemen and miss out on a few decent bargains for forwards. It's not like he can't multitask, looking at potentially available forwards does not mean we're happy with the situation on defence in any way.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:54 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Perhaps because it's silly to look at things so narrowly? The team certainly needs a defenceman but that doesn't mean we should stop talking about anything else until that defenceman is found. Likewise, it would be foolish for Lowe to strictly focus on defencemen and miss out on a few decent bargains for forwards. It's not like he can't multitask, looking at potentially available forwards does not mean we're happy with the situation on defence in any way.
Well, I would agree partially. Bargian forward, sure, why not. For example, I would love to see york back. However, talk of Karyia and Breire. sorry, just not going to happen, and it shouldn't no room, no need. We need D, that is not being "norrow" that is just being realistic.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I have a feeling the Oil might target Scott Harnell. Could be wishful thinking on my part but when I heard Hartnell was playing out his option and ufa, giving his roots and game, I began thinking Oil signing.

I've seen Hartnell in the Dub and in the NHL as an 19 year old. This guy can play anyway you like - tough, physical hockey or solid offensive goalscoring. Young age and experience makes him a top target. Won't be cheap but this kid has game and solid, solid character. His Lloyd zip code growing up could work in this team's favour when he goes on the block next summer.

The thing about Hartnell is his signing could provide flexibility to flip Torres to address need. This all in hypothetical land. Not sure how budget reality will work but this summer, I see a run at Harnell upfront; Chris Phillips and Brad Stuart on the back-end. All are solid pros in areas of need. And all have Western Canadian roots which make a homecoming somewhat of a possibility. I'd take a 1/3 batting average if the Oil go after these three.

Unlike some posters here, I would not touch York with a thirty foot hockey stick. Currently way overpaid for fair to mediocre results post-Oiler, I wouldn't waste the cash and roster spot to bring back this support player. I enjoyed Yorkie's time in Edmonton, but he isn't the difference maker this team needs to invest its precious free agent dollars on.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I have a feeling the Oil might target Scott Harnell. Could be wishful thinking on my part but when I heard Hartnell was playing out his option and ufa, giving his roots and game, I began thinking Oil signing.

I've seen Hartnell in the Dub and in the NHL as an 19 year old. This guy can play anyway you like - tough, physical hockey or solid offensive goalscoring. Young age and experience makes him a top target. Won't be cheap but this kid has game and solid, solid character. His Lloyd zip code growing up could work in this team's favour when he goes on the block next summer.

The thing about Hartnell is his signing could provide flexibility to flip Torres to address need. This all in hypothetical land. Not sure how budget reality will work but this summer, I see a run at Harnell upfront; Chris Phillips and Brad Stuart on the back-end. All are solid pros in areas of need. And all have Western Canadian roots which make a homecoming somewhat of a possibility. I'd take a 1/3 batting average if the Oil go after these three.

Unlike some posters here, I would not touch York with a thirty foot hockey stick. Currently way overpaid for fair to mediocre results post-Oiler, I wouldn't waste the cash and roster spot to bring back this support player. I enjoyed Yorkie's time in Edmonton, but he isn't the difference maker this team needs to invest its precious free agent dollars on.
I have a massive mancrush on Hartnell but I just don't see it happening unless Smyth leaves town (in which case he'd be an absolutely perfect replacement). Someone is going to give him some big bucks in the off-season as he's still very young and he can easily be a regular 30 goal scorer in the league. I'd kill to see Hartnell join the Oilers but I just don't think we'll have the bucks to make it happen unless Smyth is out the door (or unless we move another big money forward like Pisani or Horcoff).

I'd jump for joy if we could move Torres for a defenceman and then replace him in the off-season with an upgrade in Hartnell but any dollars given to Hartnell likely need to be saved for a defenceman. Who knows though, I definitely wouldn't be upset if we managed to land him.

Old
01-28-2007, 06:16 AM
philthy mcnasty*

If Lowe get's **** correct, and actually believes the Oilers have the necessary pieces in place to be a playoff team that could win a couple rounds, then make a push for Datsyuk. I don't give a **** if people say he doesn't show up for the playoffs, because he would for the Oilers. In Edmonton, everyone always does.

A line of Smyth-Datsyuk-Hemsky would be absolutely lethal.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:50 AM
jcoldwell

I would rather have Gomez than Datsyuk.

Torres - Gomez - Lupul

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
This offseason, we know Lowe will almost guarenteed be taking huge shots at Stuart, Timmonen, Markov, etc. But are there UFA forwards that you think he should be taking pretty big runs at? Will we have the cap space to do that? IMO after we upgrade the mess that is known as our defense corps, there are a few spots we could upgrade at forward....most noteably in my mind centre. Anyways, here are my targets...not saying to get all these guys, but to have a lot of interest in:

1) Scott Hartnell - Great two way, 30 goal man, shot blocker, kills penalties, future captain, and a good old Lloyd boy who used to kick my a** every time I played against him!!! Would command a contract of something like 4 yrs. 17 mil.

2) Paul Karyia - Are the Preds really going to lose all these guys??? Anyways some are probably questioning this one on my part but my reasoning for this is because Lupul needs a playmaker, and there's hardly any playmaking centre's out there, so a playmaking LW would be the next best thing for him. Karyia fits this bill, and in 05 when he was a UFA it sounded like he really wanted to come here, but we weren't willing to give him the money he wanted. Would command a contract of something like 4 yrs. 20 mil.

3) Mike York - There are better playmaking centre's out there(Datsyuk, Stumpel), but I think he's the one that fits the all around bill. He won't cost a lot, the coaches loved him while here, smart in his own end, great passer, great in the dressing room. This is the guy that I honestly EXPECT to see back here next season because everyone in the organization is so high on him, and he might feel it is where he plays his best hockey. Same as Karyia would be great with Lupul, and is still only 29 so I doubt he's not on the downside. Would command a contract of something like 2 yrs. 3.5 mil(this is a guess, he's had such a horrible year, but he's got a good track record).
York has never been that good and is on the downside of his career. No way does Kariya or Hartnell come to Edmonton. If the oilers do sign Smyth ( which I am sure they will) they don't have money for another 4mil a season forward, let alone Brad Stuart.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
York has never been that good and is on the downside of his career. No way does Kariya or Hartnell come to Edmonton. If the oilers do sign Smyth ( which I am sure they will) they don't have money for another 4mil a season forward, let alone Brad Stuart.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Hartnell. If Lowe made a competetive bid for him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signed on in Edmonton. I do agree that the Oilers won't have the cash to add another big money forward though, they'll need to go bargain shopping.

Old
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I have to disagree with your assessment of Hartnell. If Lowe made a competetive bid for him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signed on in Edmonton. I do agree that the Oilers won't have the cash to add another big money forward though, they'll need to go bargain shopping.
I am not necessarily assessing Hartnell, the guy is fantastic and would make a great fit in Edmonton. When Smyth is signed there isn't a lot of money left over to sign a number one dman, let alone two top 4 dmen and Hartnell.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Lessy

I'm hoping/assuming defence will be our priority this summer so I'd presume we won't be landing any big money forwards as long as Smyth is extended. A few guys that could be cheap I'm a fan of are Mellanby, Primeau, Mair, Walker, Maltby, Holmstrom, Roberts, Todd White, Pandolfo, McAmmond, Calder, Kapanen, Mayers, Dvorak... I doubt anyone in that list would be commanding big $$$ and would be solid depth pickups and a few can/could play 2nd line roles.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote