HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Penguins already a top tier NHL side?

Old
01-28-2007, 02:09 AM
AK-Evgeni71*

vCash: 500
Are the Penguins already a top tier NHL side?

Its a bit biased being a pens fan, but from what ive seen from the penguins this season, we have to at the very least, on the brink of becoming one very, very soon. Even without our best defensive defenseman in Mark Eaton for most of the season to now, the pens were still although erratic at times, still over the .500 mark with next to no D. But from the last few weeks, my team has amazed me a lot. Its not just Sid winning games for us anymore, MA Fleury, Malkin, Jordan Staal and even Christensen have been doing it as well. The last two games against the Stars and the Yotes have confirmed me that we will most likely make the playoffs THIS year. In both games we were the better side and deserved to win both times, and although Phoenix were pretty crap today, I havent seen us play like that in the West in a long, long time.

Anyway, this question goes out to particular non Pittsburgh fans, do you think we are now one of the top 6 sides in the east? and do you think if we keep playing like this, we may even have an outside shot at the holy grail itself?

AK-Evgeni71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Krieger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Evgeni71 View Post
our best defensive defenseman in Mark Eaton
That pretty much answers your question as "no". Not long off until the Pens are an elite team in the NHL. They've got a ton of young talent.

Krieger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:13 AM
nckd

I'm a Pens fan and all, but no -- they're not a top tier NHL team. A hell of a lot better than last year, yes. They don't have a chance of winning anything significant this year. Soon, but not now.

Seriously, just being in the playoff picture is good.

nckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:17 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckd View Post
I'm a Pens fan and all, but no -- they're not a top tier NHL team. A hell of a lot better than last year, yes. They don't have a chance of winning anything significant this year. Soon, but not now.

Seriously, just being in the playoff picture is good.
thats what errybody thought about the oilers last year too

personally i think as long as the pens get in the dance they got a shot. they got plenty of scoring to go around and that will help in the playoffs.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Lemieux had to wait 7 seasons, and go throgh many coaching changes and personell moves.

So we got about 5 seasons.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Jester

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standi...e&seasontype=2

no... but have patience.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this link?
That the Pens have games in hand on almost everyone while still being 7th in the East?
They have 3 games in hand over Ottawa. They win these games, they're tied for 4th in the East...

As for the topic at hand, no the Pens are not quite a top tier side yet.
We're hot right now, great, but it remains to be seen if we're still this hot in one month. Probably not.

If we're this hot for the rest of the season (Pens teams typically finish strong the last few years), then hell yeah, we're elite.

But it's very very doubtful it happens.

Just enjoy the current streak and don't focus on the Pens being pretenders.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
They're close, but not quite there. Upgrading their D would put them over the top. By next season they'll be serious contenders for the hardware.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Jacob

Another Penguins thread in the NHL Talk Forum. Good job.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Another Penguins thread in the NHL Talk Forum. Good job.
And another interesting post. Good job.

Old
01-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this link?
That the Pens have games in hand on almost everyone while still being 7th in the East?
They have 3 games in hand over Ottawa. They win these games, they're tied for 4th in the East...

As for the topic at hand, no the Pens are not quite a top tier side yet.
We're hot right now, great, but it remains to be seen if we're still this hot in one month. Probably not.

If we're this hot for the rest of the season (Pens teams typically finish strong the last few years), then hell yeah, we're elite.

But it's very very doubtful it happens.

Just enjoy the current streak and don't focus on the Pens being pretenders.
simply showing that they're not a "top tier" team... that is all... the top tier is the top 5 or so teams in the league, which they're not and won't be (even with games in hand). they're a team with good young talent... but their results -- and those of the rest of the league -- speak for themselves. it isn't rocket science... as of now they're sitting at 7th in the East. that's not a top tier team.

Old
01-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Evilo

7th with around 3 games in hand over the rest of the league.

Top tier means top third, so a top 10 team in the league.

Again, IF (big word) they win their three games they have over Ottawa, they're tied for 4th, which is definately top tier.

But as I said, they're hot, they most probably won't be this hot for the rest of the season, so they're not top tier.

Old
01-28-2007, 05:21 AM
SomeDude

I don't think we can be considered a "top-tier" team, but once you're in the playoffs anything can happen. If we somehow hold onto a playoff spot I'll be more then satisfied with this year.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
7th with around 3 games in hand over the rest of the league.

Top tier means top third, so a top 10 team in the league.

Again, IF (big word) they win their three games they have over Ottawa, they're tied for 4th, which is definately top tier.

But as I said, they're hot, they most probably won't be this hot for the rest of the season, so they're not top tier.
i don't consider the top 10 teams to be the "top tier." that goes for any sport as well... you have a legit top group, that in any given season is usually 4-5 teams, then a group of good teams... then the crap teams... then the slop (the Flyers, for example, this year).

the SC playoffs invalidate that view some, but all small sample size comparisons do... such is life. Pens are young team that is improving into "good team" status and looks like they're gonna make a run at making the playoffs.

Old
01-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I don't think we can be considered a "top-tier" team, but once you're in the playoffs anything can happen. If we somehow hold onto a playoff spot I'll be more then satisfied with this year.
yeah, you can only make these comments on regular season... 82 game status. small sample size in the playoffs, anything can happen. Pens are NOT a team you'd want to play in the playoffs because MAF is a goalie with the skill level to go crazy on you in a short burst and then there's all the potential hot scorers floating around.

i wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Pens surprise some teams in the playoffs this year...

they could just as easily get swept out, but that's a young team for you.

Old
01-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Evilo

Quote:
i don't consider the top 10 teams to be the "top tier." that goes for any sport as well...
Well I guess that comes from me having a different sense for the word "tier".
"tiers" in french is the translation of "third".
So when I think top tier, I thnk top third, which equals to 10 teams in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
boredmale

i say Pens don't make playoffs this year but next year they might be fighting for division title(playoffs most likely)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
i say Pens don't make playoffs this year but next year they might be fighting for division title(playoffs most likely)
if they had one dman that they could really plug in there i think they'd be competing for the division this year.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Well I guess that comes from me having a different sense for the word "tier".
"tiers" in french is the translation of "third".
So when I think top tier, I thnk top third, which equals to 10 teams in the NHL.
well, as this is english... it just means "level."

Old
01-28-2007, 08:37 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

My NHL ranking shows the Penguins at 15th in the league in points with 54.

Obviously not a "top tier NHL side" any way you slice it.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

They are much better then last year and im sure they will be even better next year.The only thing that bothers me with the Pens is that they struggle in the easy games.If they can stay consistant then I would say yes,right now I gotta say no but they are right there.

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
They are much better then last year and im sure they will be even better next year.The only thing that bothers me with the Pens is that they struggle in the easy games.If they can stay consistant then I would say yes,right now I gotta say no but they are right there.
they should look, if possible, to pick up a top-level dman. i'm not sure how willing they are to throw around big contracts given that they have some pretty big potential ones that are on their radar in the coming years... and they need to manage their finances accordingly.

certainly a team that will be that much better next year, regardless. i assumed they'd be a team just outside the playoffs this year... a 6-seed or so next year... and then a top of the conference level team.

however... they need to fix up that D.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
they should look, if possible, to pick up a top-level dman. i'm not sure how willing they are to throw around big contracts given that they have some pretty big potential ones that are on their radar in the coming years... and they need to manage their finances accordingly.

certainly a team that will be that much better next year, regardless. i assumed they'd be a team just outside the playoffs this year... a 6-seed or so next year... and then a top of the conference level team.

however... they need to fix up that D.

We can get better on D I totally agree with you,but the thing that makes me believe in the Pens is that the Hurricannes last year did not have that better of a D then Pittsburgh right now.With Eaton back,we just improoved big time.He missed 2 months and we could of have been in a much better position right now

Old
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
We can get better on D I totally agree with you,but the thing that makes me believe in the Pens is that the Hurricannes last year did not have that better of a D then Pittsburgh right now.With Eaton back,we just improoved big time.He missed 2 months and we could of have been in a much better position right now
their D was a lot more solid than what you're putting out there... the bottom pairing is extremely weak. Eaton isn't a bad D, but he's not someone that you want to be the salvation for a poor D either. Whitney is young and Gonchar... Gonchar is Gonchar.

Old
01-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
their D was a lot more solid than what you're putting out there... the bottom pairing is extremely weak. Eaton isn't a bad D, but he's not someone that you want to be the salvation for a poor D either. Whitney is young and Gonchar... Gonchar is Gonchar.
What ever,like I said I would like for Shero to add 1 more D,if we don't I still feel comfortable with what we have