HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Penguins already a top tier NHL side?

Old
01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Clarence Beeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Compared to the NHL? Absolutely not.

Heck, while at it, why not throw in PeeWees?

We're talking about the most intense two+ months of hockey grind that exists, at the highest level of competition on earth.

Does anyone really think otherwise?
It's not the same, but to say that it doesn't matter at all is absurd.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
So QMJHL playoffs, WJC pressure, AHL playoffs experience counts for nothing?
I stated a fact, he has no NHL playoff experience.

I stated nothing as to other NHL experience. Take it for what it is worth.

I stated that his lack of NHL playoff experience, may or may not be a factor. We just don't know.

If you do, please tell me.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Compared to the NHL? Absolutely not.

Heck, while at it, why not throw in PeeWees?

We're talking about the most intense two+ months of hockey grind that exists, at the highest level of competition on earth.

Does anyone actually think otherwise?
I didn't say it was comparable but it is still experience.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
It's not the same, but to say that it doesn't matter at all is absurd.
You ice a team of AHL playoff vets then, chief. I'm sure that "moxie" will serve them well in the big show.

The only thing that is "absurd" is that a few members of "Generation Instant Gratification" have either no knowledge or appreciation of what it takes to win a championship.

One hundred years of evidence to the contrary? Matters little. Colby Armstrong, Ryan Whitney and their fellow AHL playoff playoff warriors will waltz through the NHL post-season.

Experience matters little...to those who have none in life.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-28-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:23 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I knew what you meant. I was actually trying to support your argument. Sorry for the confusion. I was just saying that it really is a wildcard, but there may be some upside due to his AHL playoff experience. Even though the Pens have sucked every year he's been there before this year, WBS has been great and gone far in the playoffs. That's something that most people probably don't realize about him.
I know, I know.

I knew your point, but I figured, someone would jump on it, and as you can in other posts after that, someone did, so I knew I better clarify.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
You ice a team of AHL playoff vets then, chief. I'm sure that "moxie" will serve them well in the big show.
Would you stop insulting everyone who disagree's with you, you are one arrogant man. Every damn person on these boards watches the playoffs, to say we don't understand because we believe a team is close to becoming contenders is simple arrogant and short sighted. You can bash me all you want but a sure fire hockey hall of fame goaltender who won three Stanley Cups in the best system running also agrees with me. Go ahead, see if you can bash Brodeur, you never have before.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
What does that have to do with my post that you quoted? Did I ever say anything about icing an entire team of AHL playoff vets? No. Did I say that AHL playoff experience was equal to NHL playoff experience? No. I said that it counts for something, and that's what you come back with? I will go with absurd.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Let me look at the standings....

No.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Would you stop insulting everyone who disagree's with you, you are one arrogant man. Every damn person on these boards watches the playoffs, to say we don't understand because we believe a team is close to becoming contenders is simple arrogant and short sighted. You can bash me all you want but a sure fire hockey hall of fame goaltender who won three Stanley Cups in the best system running also agrees with me. Go ahead, see if you can bash Brodeur, you never have before.
LOL. I can't wait to see his response to this...

Old
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
What does that have to do with my post that you quoted? Did I ever say anything about icing an entire team of AHL playoff vets? No. Did I say that AHL playoff experience was equal to NHL playoff experience? No. I said that it counts for something, and that's what you come back with? I will go with absurd.
He has been changing everyones posts so they fit his arguement, its actually making him look pretty little at the moment.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Would you stop insulting everyone who disagree's with you, you are one arrogant man.
No, simply do not suffer fools kindly.

Such as those who ignore history, completely. Like you, in this case.

If you care to continue to make this personal, go right ahead.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
diligent_d

The Penguins have been pretty inconsistent all season, which is expected for a team this young. When they are playing like they have these last five games (four wins, one OT loss), they can look pretty darn good. But when they go on five game losing streaks like they did back in December, their weaknesses become more apparent to any level-headed fan.

I hope they make the playoffs (and the games they have in hand are certainly encouraging) - but while the team is sitting right in the middle of that crowded Eastern Conference, its probably best to remain only cautiously optimistic at this point.

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:

Please don't beat him up

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:

Who is to say you are no fool? Don't be so quick to point the gun at others. One who predicted Buffalo, Carolina and Edmonton last year were once considered fools.

You have already made it personal with many posters in this thread with your inside cuts at them. You always cover your insults with your wording.

History is a good way to base predictions on but it is not sure fire. In the past a team with a european captain was not to win a stanley cup or no team with a european goaltender could accomplish the feat. Surely Detroit, New Jersey, Calgary or Ottawa are cup contenders.

This whole arguement started because you did not take my post in context. Did I say Pittsburgh was my favorite to win the cup....no. Did I say with Chara or Blake Pittsburgh would win the Stanley Cup....no. Did I say at any point they are front runners to win the cup.....no. I merley said they were cup contenders and I will stand by that, they have as good a shot as any in the east, but needs things to happen in order to win the cup.

History remains a good way to predict but history is not 100%.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
You always cover your insults with your wording.

Actually, I think I used my wording to explain my opinions about your posts quite clearly. No covering anything, whatsoever.

"they have as good a shot as any in the east..."

No further words required. Night.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Obviously not, since you missed the whole point. But continue on.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:

The only thing that is "absurd" is that a few members of "Generation Instant Gratification" have either no knowledge or appreciation of what it takes to win a championship.

One hundred years of evidence to the contrary? Matters little. Colby Armstrong, Ryan Whitney and their fellow AHL playoff playoff warriors will waltz through the NHL post-season.

Way to edit your post to make it look like you said something that you didn't after people had already responded to you and picked your argument apart. There really should be some type of sanction on here for that. Mods... any help?

Old
01-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:

Yep! Because you sure know how old everyone is and how long they've been watching hockey. Look folks, we've got the all knowing Mr. I can see through the computer and determine your age just by looking at a username, guy here!! Holy crap, that's awesome!

Hilariously enough you're probably younger the most of the people who you accuse to be young and have no experience. Good one there chief.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Yep! Because you sure know how old everyone is and how long they've been watching hockey. Look folks, we've got the all knowing Mr. I can see through the computer and determine your age just by looking at a username, guy here!! Holy crap, that's awesome!

Hilariously enough you're probably younger the most of the people who you accuse to be young and have no experience. Good one there chief.
Not hard to put an age on him, late 20's maybe early 30's bandwagon fan of the dynasty Isles.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Not hard to put an age on him, late 20's maybe early 30's bandwagon fan of the dynasty Isles.
Doubt he's even that old. But if he is in that age range, that's just pathetic.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Way to edit your post to make it look like you said something that you didn't after people had already responded to you and picked your argument apart. There really should be some type of sanction on here for that. Mods... any help?

You got me there, clueless one!

One recognizes that bedtime is near for you (school night), but I'll gladly debate whatever you wish. Just try to put a coherent sentence together.

As for Mod sanctions, you better hope that one cannot be sanctioned for falling short of basic I.Q. requirements.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:

One recognizes that bedtime is near for you (school night), but I'll gladly debate whatever you wish. Just try to put a coherent sentence together.

As for Mod sanctions, you better hope that one cannot be sanctioned for falling short of basic I.Q. requirements.
I am pretty sure you just proved my earlier post correct.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:

LOL. I could take you to task on both accounts. Definitely not a school night and you'd go away with your tail between your legs in an IQ comparison.

By the way... way to duck the criticism of your shameless act. Way to go.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

"There are several teams, because of the young talent they have, that are in the category and Pittsburgh certainly is," Lamoriello said. "You can parallel a couple of those clubs to the Quebec era in which they had some great young players and eventually won in Colorado."

I leave this thread with that. They have a chance if they add a couple defesmen at the trade deadline.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Guttersnipe
complain, whine, cry

Cinderella teams may make it to the Stanley Cup finals, but they never win it all. Players need to learn just how much work, focus and intensity it takes to win in the playoffs and experience is the best teacher.

Look at the kind of playoff experience recent cup winners had:

Edmonton lost in the SCF the year before their dynasty began; Islanders lost in the semi-finals for a number of years before the their run started.

1989: Flames had lost in the 1986 SCF.
1993: Habs had lost in the 1989 SCF.
1994: The Rangers were routinely making the playoffs before 1993 and they made it out of the first round several times.
1995: Devils made lost in the 1994 ECF.
1997: Wings lost in the 1995 SCF and in the 1996 WCF.
1998: Wings again.
1999: Dallas lost in the 1998 WCF.
2000: Devils again.
2001: Avs again.
2002: Wings again.
2003: Devils again.
2006: Canes lost in the 2002 SCF.

A couple of Cup winners had less impressive PO records:

The Nordiques had a poor playoff record in the second half of their existence, but they did made the playoffs in 1995 and added two former Conn Smythe winners to their lineup in 1996.

The Pens and the Lightning had never been to the finals before winning the Cup, but they did make it two the second round a year or two before winning it all.

So recent history would suggest that the Pens need a playoff run or two before they have any real chance of winning the Cup and the smart money is on Ducks, Flames, Sabres etc.

Guttersnipe is offline   Reply With Quote