HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Ranger Gump Worsley dead at 77

Old
01-28-2007, 03:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Former Ranger Gump Worsley dead at 77

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2745655

Gump was obviously before our time, but the guy played 10 seasons as a Blueshirt and will be missed. Always sad to see an old-timer pass from the hockey community.

RIP Gump.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:04 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
A legend to be missed. The last guy to play without a mask. I remember him (had his hockeycard for every year I believe) in the old days in the Garden. A funnier guy was hard to find. Bye Mr Gump - keep stoping them pucks (preferabely not with your face) wherever you may be...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:32 AM
eco's bones

I don't remember him as a Ranger but I did see him playing with Minnesota anyway and yes he didn't wear a mask. Definitely old time hockey and a legend.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
alkurtz

I became a Ranger fan in his last year with the team but grew up with older fans who had great memories of him.
The Gumper was also the author of the all-time, classic Ranger quote, a quote that kind of sums of what is means to be a Ranger fan.
When asked by a reporter, sometime in the late 1950s when he was the Ranger goalie, "What team in the NHL gives you the most trouble?" He replied.....The Rangers."
If you stop an think of it, with a few slack years here and there, we've had a strong trandition of superb goaltenders: Worsley, Giacomin, Davidson, VanBiesbrouck, Richter, Lundquist.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:06 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
When asked by a reporter, sometime in the late 1950s when he was the Ranger goalie, "What team in the NHL gives you the most trouble?" He replied.....The Rangers."
I remember my father always referring to this quote when he was coaching us as kids in Evanston Illinois. A classic!

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:13 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Wow, this is some sad news. He really was a legend, also. RIP, Gump.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

My first Rangers' goalie. Got to meet the gumper years later in Montreal when he was playing for the Habs. Gumper was never the most physically fit looking specimen to ever to have put on the pads. His post game meal was some bratworst and beers.

For all of you younger fans, take a look at the pads and equipment of the picture shown in the NY Post article announcing his death.

Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall all wore this kind of equipment. If they had the over sized and over stuffed goalie equipment many would have sun 1.00 GAAs and hundreds of shutouts. Back in the day if a goalie didn't get it in his glove the odds were that it deflected into the net for a goal, unlike today where they all have that extra piece on the blocker and glove bewteen the thumb and wrist.

Gumper was a character and played on some of the worst teams in NYR history. He was great playing the angles and he did it all without a mask, save his last season of play.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I remember my father always referring to this quote when he was coaching us as kids in Evanston Illinois. A classic!
True true story. The sad part was that he was right.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
shoothepuck

Gump was a classy character. The Rangers traded Gump, to Montreal, for Jacques Plante in the summer of 1963. I remember watching him play for Montreal. (as a kid, I remember, that we were not fond of Jacques mask). Gump stopped 51 shots in a shutout against the Red wings, (the year Detroit won the cup in 1955), and that's the most shots ever turned aside by a Ranger goalie in a shutout. He also won the Calder Trophy in 1952-53.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:35 PM
funky

My dad used to tell me about Gump. My prayers go out to his family.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Great quote RIP Gump, you will be missed.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Rest In Peace

01-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Prentice*

I was a little boy when Gump passed through. He was great. I was about nine years old, when Gump tended goal for the Ranges during the original six reign. Bathgate, Hebenton, Popein, Prentice, Hanna, Gadsby, Shack, Fontanetto[spelling], Harry Howell were some of his teamates of that era.
Jack McCarten, hero of the 1960 U.S. gold medal defeat of the Soviets was Gumps backup for a short time.
Exciting 'Basement Bertha' era for the 'Broadway Blues.'

Last edited by Prentice*: 01-29-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Prentice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very disappointing not to see any sort of small tribute up on the NYR website. Not even anything stating that the hall of famer that backstopped their team for 10 seasons passed.

I read somehwere that when he was traded to Montreal he didnt even know it, and up until the day he died no one from the Rangers told him he had been traded.

Was there something between the club and him?
You would think the Rangers would want to honor one of their hall of famers somehow...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
bathgate

A great goalie. I used to go to the G.O. seats in the old garden for fifty cents, yes fifty cents, and watch the Gump play. The Ranger defense in those days makes the current crew look like allstars. Gump would face an average of forty to fifty shots a game, many from the slot. The one year he led the Rangers to the playoffs, against the Leafs, he singlehandedly won two games in the Garden. I literally cried when he was traded to Montreal. Behind Richter, my all time Ranger goalie. Gump, thanks for wonderful memories

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Before my time but he was a great Ranger during some of the worst years ever to be a Ranger.

He was a good guy according to my Dad, Gump would hand out tickets to the youngsters who had no ticket or were only able to afford the obstructed seats.

RIP

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Very disappointing not to see any sort of small tribute up on the NYR website. Not even anything stating that the hall of famer that backstopped their team for 10 seasons passed.

I read somehwere that when he was traded to Montreal he didnt even know it, and up until the day he died no one from the Rangers told him he had been traded.

Was there something between the club and him?
You would think the Rangers would want to honor one of their hall of famers somehow...
Maybe they will on Wed which is the next home game I dont know, but i'm with you, why isnt there anything on the web site as a tribute to him. Either way RIP

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Maybe they will on Wed which is the next home game I dont know, but i'm with you, why isnt there anything on the web site as a tribute to him. Either way RIP
Im hoping that too... but if the Rangers want to talk all this "Be a Ranger" stuff and how storied the franchise is, they better start honoring their fallen warriors with a little more diligence. The Rangers are without a doubt a class organization, which is why im a little surprised at this.

If i recall correctly I didnt see anything for a few others that had passed recently either.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Im hoping that too... but if the Rangers want to talk all this "Be a Ranger" stuff and how storied the franchise is, they better start honoring their fallen warriors with a little more diligence. The Rangers are without a doubt a class organization, which is why im a little surprised at this.

If i recall correctly I didnt see anything for a few others that had passed recently either.
Who else passed recently?

I don't know guys, i'm thinking you're being a little impatient here, I mean the guys not even buried yet. RIP.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Who else passed recently?

I don't know guys, i'm thinking you're being a little impatient here, I mean the guys not even buried yet. RIP.
Impatient? He died on Saturday night. Every hockey site had the news up in the AM on Sunday. You would think the Rangers would be one of the first to post it up.

I dont know... maybe they dont want "bad news" on the website. They seem to sugar coat every loss in the Game Recaps, so that might be the reason why. But i still think its wrong if they dont do anything. As long as the family is tended to by the Rangers thats all that really matters.

Maybe i'm oversensitive and jumping the gun a bit because this past weekend i was involved in 3 days of services for my Grandfather, you kinda see how important it is to honor and celebrate someone's life. I just think its the right thing to do.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Impatient? He died on Saturday night. Every hockey site had the news up in the AM on Sunday. You would think the Rangers would be one of the first to post it up.

I dont know... maybe they dont want "bad news" on the website. They seem to sugar coat every loss in the Game Recaps, so that might be the reason why. But i still think its wrong if they dont do anything. As long as the family is tended to by the Rangers thats all that really matters.

Maybe i'm oversensitive and jumping the gun a bit because this past weekend i was involved in 3 days of services for my Grandfather, you kinda see how important it is to honor and celebrate someone's life. I just think its the right thing to do.
FYI. It is on the Rangers site

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2630

That pic they have up he looks like a young 1950's Lundqvist

Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-24-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
He wasn't before my time.

He was fun to watch and fun to listen to also.
He was a guy of great character as well as a character. A legend of the game .

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
He wasn't before my time.

He was fun to watch and fun to listen to also.
He was a guy of great character as well as a character. A legend of the game .
He was before the time of many of us posters here .

The more I read about Gump the more I wish I was around to see him play. Seemed like a class act.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

sad stuff...feelings go out

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote