HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sounding like the Stuart bidding could begin soon

Old
01-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Sounding like the Stuart bidding could begin soon

They were talking about him on the Hotstove tonight and it's really starting to sound from the media that he will be dealt with Boston having only won 3 of there last 10. So let it begin. I personally think we should be seller's and putting ourselves in a better posisiton this offseason and heading into next season, but I know being still pretty close to the playoffs and with Lowe's faith in this team it probably won't happen. So what's it going to take to get Stuart? I think Boston will actually try to deal him to us because we're clearly the ones in the biggest need of him there for SHOULD pay the most. My proposal:
To Edm: Brad Stuart
To Bos: Marc-Andre Bergeron, Anaheim's 1st round pick and Brad Winchester.

All this for a UFA, a UFA with rumours around him stating that he wants to go back to California in the offseason. I don't like it at all, but that's the kind of package it COULD end up taking. I'm telling you people this is why we should be sellers, and I hope I'll be wrong about the offer, but I don't think I am. Your thoughts.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Hemsky4PM

That proposal would be an incredible overpayment by the Oilers. I wouldn't trade a 1st rounder alone for Stuart. Bergeron is OK as long as he's playing 15 minutes, meaning it would be nice to acquire someone like Stuart to take the pressure off a guy like Bergeron.

Apparently the guy that other teams keep asking for from Lowe is JFJ. I think that is an indication that Lowe won't want to deal him, if other teams like his potential that much too.

Winchester can clearly be moved. I think something like Winchester and a 2nd rounder would be a decent starting point...but I guess we'll find out what the market is like soon enough.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:41 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

The first from Anaheim. it will be a really low pick, I think that is fair. through in MAB or winny to get the deal done, both are pretty worthless.

Somthing I would mention though, Boston is really not out of it, they are 6 points out of the playoffs, but have played very few games. only 47, 4 less than tampa in 8th.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:41 AM
gerald78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
That proposal would be an incredible overpayment by the Oilers. I wouldn't trade a 1st rounder alone for Stuart. Bergeron is OK as long as he's playing 15 minutes, meaning it would be nice to acquire someone like Stuart to take the pressure off a guy like Bergeron.

Apparently the guy that other teams keep asking for from Lowe is JFJ. I think that is an indication that Lowe won't want to deal him, if other teams like his potential that much too.

Winchester can clearly be moved. I think something like Winchester and a 2nd rounder would be a decent starting point...but I guess we'll find out what the market is like soon enough.

i hadn't heard the jfj name coming up but if he has some value i would be all for trading him. he has some good physical attributes but i don't see him ever being more than a solid third/fourth line type player. getting rid of him versus somebody with more potential like a schremp, etc would not bother me too much. if he can fetch something worthwhile i say go for it.

gerald78

gerald78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Rin

I don't like the idea of giving up Bergeron for a rental. The guy has 2 years left on his contract and has a cap hit of only 1.064. He is still young, he is still learning. He has a great shot and amazing speed. Yes he also has stupid giveaways, but who doesn't? I wouldn't mind losing Tjarnqvist, and i wouldn't cry if Hejda got traded (not saying i don't like Hejda...i just like bergeron's upside more). Bergeron is only going to get better from here.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Where'd ya hear that? I like JFG and I see no reason why he can't become a bigger Mike Grier type of player but he's not a guy I would be incredibly worried about moving if we got a good return.

01-28-2007, 08:37 AM
jadeddog

and this is exactly why i hope lowe is not a buyer this year... there are a few reasons for this

- this year is a sellers market, as there are many teams still in the playoffs hunt and 4 or 5 teams who have a legitimate shot at the cup.... these teams are going to be willing to slightly overpay for assets, which will drive up the price for every player

- the oilers simply arent very good at all this year.... why sell off any actual assets (ie. non-UFA players) when you still most likely wont even make the playoffs.... and if, by some miracle, they do make the playoffs it will be in 8th place.... this isnt the oilers year, so why mortgage the future for such a slim chance of postseason success?

- since this is a sellers market and since the oilers are most likely not going to make the playoffs.... why not trade off our own UFA players? im thinking primarily of sykora and tjarvqvist.... neither of these players are going to be re-signed by the oilers in the offseason, so why not get a couple 2nd round draft picks for them? sykora in particular might be a pretty decent commodity in a sellers market.... he might fetch a 2nd rounder + a mid-level prospect as some teams might look at his secondary scoring in a very favorable light

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Traktor*

We can get this guy for free in the offseason. The bruins have zero chance of resigning this guy with the money already tied up to defence next year.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Mielke83

No don't trade Bergeron don't give up on the kid just yet he's only wat maybe 26.

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
They were talking about him on the Hotstove tonight and it's really starting to sound from the media that he will be dealt with Boston having only won 3 of there last 10. So let it begin. I personally think we should be seller's and putting ourselves in a better posisiton this offseason and heading into next season, but I know being still pretty close to the playoffs and with Lowe's faith in this team it probably won't happen. So what's it going to take to get Stuart? I think Boston will actually try to deal him to us because we're clearly the ones in the biggest need of him there for SHOULD pay the most. My proposal:
To Edm: Brad Stuart
To Bos: Marc-Andre Bergeron, Anaheim's 1st round pick and Brad Winchester.

All this for a UFA, a UFA with rumours around him stating that he wants to go back to California in the offseason. I don't like it at all, but that's the kind of package it COULD end up taking. I'm telling you people this is why we should be sellers, and I hope I'll be wrong about the offer, but I don't think I am. Your thoughts.
MAB and a 2nd rounder or mid-level prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mielke83 View Post
No don't trade Bergeron don't give up on the kid just yet he's only wat maybe 26.
Yep the guy is 26 years old, he is in 5th season as a pro and 4th season in the NHL. When does he lose the kid tag? He is a veteran now. Also when does he stop making the same obvious rookie like, see it coming from a mile away in slow motion mistakes on a regular basis. I am not implying he is not useful. He can put up some points, can skate, has a great shot but will likely always been a bottom pairing guy that needs sheltered minutes.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-28-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:42 PM
SpikefromDusseldorf

Bergeron is one year younger than Stuart and if MAB gets us Stuart in a trade I make that deal SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fast. He continues to make the same mistakes over and over and was, again, a minus last night

SpikefromDusseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Jet

vCash: 50
If Bergeron plays more consistently like he played last night, I want to keep him. Is this the Bergie we'll see next game, next week, next month though? He needs to do the things that make him effective more often. Last night I have to say I was really impressed with the entire Oilers D corps.

As for trading Hejda Rin, what have you been smoking? He's been probably our best D over the past while... was awesome last night, and seems to be the only person on the roster that Smith feels comfortable with. Jan actually uses his BODY to seperate the opponent from the puck, not dig around for it like so many of our other players seem to do.

If we're going to aquire Stuart, I think it has to be for pics or prospects. I'd offer Tjarnqvist or Winchester, but seriously... who wants them? Winchester is obviously just another Isbister... and we already pawned one of those off on the Bruins last year.

I think that Schremp is the guy. He was a bad pick and is showing why right now. I don't think he will ever have a meaningful career in the bigs and it's becoming more and more evident every day. Let's get something for him now. I know alot of you still think that Robbie can turn it around and that he's a huge overpay, but the bidding for Stuart is going to be high, and it's gonna take more than fair value to land him. Schremp is a project, and an American player that could be attractive to a US franchise. Maybe Kessel can stimulate something in him.

I also remember that Guy said something about 2 US prospects on the Oilers hating each other, and knowing Schremp's personality issues, I'm willing to wager one of them is him, and the other is probably either Chorney or Gilbert (pure speculation). I'd rather have them in the organization than Schremp.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Since this is the latest B. Stuart thread, i'll post my opinions on the J. Smith + Bergeron deal.

Are we dealing depth for a much better Dman? Yes. We're taking essentially a #3 and #5 Dman and getting a #1-2 Dman back. IMO, we're winning the trade.

Stuart - Hejda
Smid - Staios
Greene - Roy/Gilbert/Tjarnqvist

Is that not better than:

Smith - Hejda
Smid - Staios
Bergeron - Greene

Our depth is fine. we have plenty of #5/6/7 Dmen laying around.

We traded Brewer and depth (but at the time, Lynch and Woywitka were pretty bluechippers) for Pronger, and look how well that worked out... for a year.

The one part I do feel badly is trading away a nice contract in Bergeron. I like the kid, but something has to give.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
If Bergeron plays more consistently like he played last night, I want to keep him. Is this the Bergie we'll see next game, next week, next month though? He needs to do the things that make him effective more often. Last night I have to say I was really impressed with the entire Oilers D corps.

As for trading Hejda Rin, what have you been smoking? He's been probably our best D over the past while... was awesome last night, and seems to be the only person on the roster that Smith feels comfortable with. Jan actually uses his BODY to seperate the opponent from the puck, not dig around for it like so many of our other players seem to do.

If we're going to aquire Stuart, I think it has to be for pics or prospects. I'd offer Tjarnqvist or Winchester, but seriously... who wants them? Winchester is obviously just another Isbister... and we already pawned one of those off on the Bruins last year.

I think that Schremp is the guy. He was a bad pick and is showing why right now. I don't think he will ever have a meaningful career in the bigs and it's becoming more and more evident every day. Let's get something for him now. I know alot of you still think that Robbie can turn it around and that he's a huge overpay, but the bidding for Stuart is going to be high, and it's gonna take more than fair value to land him. Schremp is a project, and an American player that could be attractive to a US franchise. Maybe Kessel can stimulate something in him.

I also remember that Guy said something about 2 US prospects on the Oilers hating each other, and knowing Schremp's personality issues, I'm willing to wager one of them is him, and the other is probably either Chorney or Gilbert (pure speculation). I'd rather have them in the organization than Schremp.
I didn't say i want to trade Hejda...just if i had to choose between him and MAB to go in a trade i'd pick him to leave. Also Hejda is a UFA this year, Bergeron has 2yrs left on his very cheap contract. Trade one UFA for another UFA makes more sense. But then again thats just me, and i'm not a GM.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote