HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

Old
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I will agree with you there. A veteran player would be nice, if not Avery will do.
Do we really need any thing at all though? I think we stand pat and go with the exact team we have right now. We have depth at every position - multiple proven line combinations that work. Depth at forward in Hennesey, Hamel, Payer that showed they could play decently well if needed if 2 or 3 or 4 forwards get injured at the same time.

I can't see us needing Avery at all. If everyone is healthy our 3rd and 4th lines are stacked with talented players.

If we need anything it is an 8th D-Man that is NHL caliber - just in case. And a true veteran warrior that just is there to be around even if he does not play a huge role in the playoff run on the ice. A guy that is there to remind the leaders of the team like Alfie and Redden and Phillips that if we go down 2-0 or 3-1 in a series it isn't over and we just need to calm down and play.

The thing that worries me the most is Alfredsson. Alfie is the Sens best player still. Better than Redden and Spezza and Heatley. He is the most important player on the team. And every playoffs for the last few years he has struggled because he tries too hard, puts too much pressure on himself. Takes each loss far too hard. He grips the stick too tight. He tries to make forced plays on his own and if his linemates aren't clicking he stops passing as much and just does it all himself.

Alfie needs a mentor, a guide - A special coach / or fellow player that helps him deal with the pressure of the playoffs without taking too much pressure on himself. Maybe it is Gary Roberts, maybe it is a retired Swedish hockey great? Maybe it is Doctor freaking Phil, or a zen master from India? Whoever it is I hope Alfredsson gets his mind in focus in the playoffs and just calms himself down and just plays hockey and has fun and lets the pressure he feels slides off his back.

I think that maybe, just maybe being on the ice with Heatley and always being on his line will help Alfie a ton. Every year he is put on a line where he is the best player by far and then he feels compelled to do EVERYTHING and loses his game. With Heatley he will always have someone on his plane of thinking and vision and talent. That might be the trick that gets Alfie to play his game in the playoffs instead of trying to do everything every single shift.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
The Fuhr*

Having Alfie off the point on the PP will help too. He will now be allowed to crash the net on the PP and that could make a difference at ES play if other Sens see what he is doing to score goals.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Who is Avery going to infect his "cancer" to in Ottawa? He will give his all here, he gets out of line in the dressing room theres lots of players on this team that will set him straight. I don't think he would ruin chemisty in the least here. I don't think he can even if he wanted too.
Everyone
I've heard nothing good about his personality.
You can't fix people. They are who they are. He'd bring that ****** attitude and affect the whole room. You can't just turn it off

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Brandi

why on earth are we talking about trades right now anyways.

the team is doing well.

ride it.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
hockeycountry

I'd take a depth defenceman or a vet or both, but a big fat no to Avery. I just think it's a completely unnecessary move for a completely unnecessary player. Furthermore, what kind of message does that send to the team? You want to add a put-you-over-the-top-type player, and you add . . . Avery? For a first? IMO, that's even worse than picking up Arnason.

I'd rather Muckler do nothing at all than do that.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post

the team is doing well.

ride it.
was that your 4,000th post?

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
fras123

Quote:
Thats why I want him. A player teams hate playing against because he plays dirty and is a *****.

The line could be

Heatley - Comrie - Alfredsson
Vermette - Spezza - Eaves
Schaefer - Fisher - Neil
Avery - Kelly - Schubert

Extra: McAmmond/McGrattan

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Corvo -Preissing

Extra: Schubert,Allison

You cant expect the defense to stay healthy for a playoff run so when an injury hits Schubert goes to defense and McAmmond steps in on the 4th line. Seems pretty solid to me.
i would rather have mcammond on there than avery, averys not worth a first rounder he plays hard but doesnt have the potential of a first round pick.

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeat View Post
was that your 4,000th post?
holly **** .... it was! At least i had "ride it"in the post ... you know... makes it more fun

Partyyyy ttimmme!

Okay , partie's over

Old
01-28-2007, 05:14 PM
bert

Quote:

the team is doing well.

ride it.
here here!!!

The only thing this team needs going into the post season is another stay at home insurance vet D man.

Remember in 2003 when New Jersey won the cup they were the only playoff team that didnt make a move at the deadline. I really dont think this team needs to do anything barring any wild and unfortunate injury problems.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Buckleys

We need to add another defensemen. The next best defensemen is Allison, and the next after that doesnt even play for Bingo yet (Kudelka).

A veteran winger would be nice as well.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:43 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
my impression of him is that he's a cancer.

That will bring no good to the dressing room
So is Comrie apparently... seems to be doing well and fitting in for a cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
We need to add another defensemen.
We really should look at picking up Sean Hill at his 600k salary. He's playing 21+ min a night on the PP and PK. Also he is experienced 36, blocks shots 89 and hits 141.

Last edited by OttawaGM: 01-28-2007 at 06:48 PM.
OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
We really should look at picking up Sean Hill. Only 600k this year and is playing PP/SH with NYI, also is experienced 36, blocks shots 89 and hits 141.
I was thinking Sean Hill as well. I also thought Jim Vandermeer might not be a bad pick up. Sean Hill is a former Senator to, is he not? Would be interesting anyway.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
So is Comrie apparently... seems to be doing well and fitting in for a cancer.

Never heard that Comrie had a ****** attitude. Heard he was cocky or something, but that's it.

If I recall, headlines in the paper about Avery and how he's completely difficult to play with. I know little about the guy, but I remember numerous articles saying not nice things about him. In fact, I remember his coach even going on and talking ill of him after they got elimated

This is what i hear.

Old
01-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Glass jar

I see Avery as a Vaclav Varada #2.
Plus, I prefered Varada's game when he toned it down.

Avery is just not a player who impresses me with his smart hockey sence. Plus, he takes horrible penalties at the worst possible time.
He's more of a hinderance than a help.

Ottawa has enough baggage to deal with(Their playoff history weighing in on their shoulders, *cough*Gerber *cough*), why would they want any more. At the cost of a valuable prospect, no less?

I'd want Muckler thrown into a rubber room and the key thrown away, if he even thought of even remotely attempting to enquire about Avery.

Glass jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:02 PM
sensens

I'm not really sure Avery is the missing ingredient in Ottawa - veteran leadership would be significantly more valuable in my books (I'll have my eye squarely on Gary Roberts from now until the trade deadline). A depth defenceman would probably make some sense... nothing fancy, but someone to play the 7/8 role for the playoff run. Garrioch really is getting tiresome... then again I just noticed that Eklund posted a list of 70 'possibly traded' players, and the only Senators player on the list was... Chris Kelly?

Bizarre.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Michigan Wolverine

I think a lot of Avery's current rep is based on past indiscretions. He's still young and probably still has maturing to do, but he's been very tame this year. The antics are at a minimum. He's been warned and responded appropriately... so far.

As a result, he's been doing a better job of drawing penalties and he's been taking fewer stupid ones. (For the first time in awhile he's not going to lead the league in penalties.)

He does provide a lot of energy and has a knack for creating (but not finishing) scoring chances.

I'm not sure that the Kings are going to trade him at all. This rumor came from Garrioch, so I'm extremely skeptical, and the ridiculous price makes me believe it less. They are happy with his play, though his attitude is still a bit me-first.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO Danny Bois is tougher than Avery and has a much better attitude, however he really needs to improve his skating but could be a high energy guy for the 4th line when Schubert is moved to defence and Hamel is traded or released, maybe next year. At the moment we have one too many forwards.

I still think that Joe Corvo could be the guy that is moved because of his salary and little return. A number of teams need a PP defenceman and he fits the bill, we already have Redden, Meszaros and Preissing who are all playing better than Joe. Joe could return maybe a Roberts, maybe Guerin or Tkachuk, Torres, Malone or Avery.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
I'm not really sure Avery is the missing ingredient in Ottawa - veteran leadership would be significantly more valuable in my books (I'll have my eye squarely on Gary Roberts from now until the trade deadline). A depth defenceman would probably make some sense... nothing fancy, but someone to play the 7/8 role for the playoff run. Garrioch really is getting tiresome... then again I just noticed that Eklund posted a list of 70 'possibly traded' players, and the only Senators player on the list was... Chris Kelly?

Bizarre.
Kelly is the least likely Sens to be traded. He is above Spezza on the freaking depth chart. I think Murray wishes Kelly was his son or something. I don't think they would trade Kelly for much short of a Superstar on a rookie deal right now.

Shows Eklund is really paying attention.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Air

In the past couple of seasons, we needed a veteran presence *badly*. When Dominik Hasek went down, the team started to lose its grip and completely panicked against Buffalo.

Now? Now I'm not so sure. I think our players may have acquired enough experience while stomping on our nerves and guts for the last 5 years. We would benefit from more veterans -- any contending team would -- but I don't think our fate is completely hinging on it. (As long as Emery doesn't regress or bomb ...)

I still worry about Alfie, too. I think he'll be okay if the guys around him realize how much of his heart he leaves out on the ice, and backs him up. The best case scenario would be his own teammates getting him to calm down, relax and focus.

I was so excited for the playoffs last year, until that Hasek drama unfolded and I'm a bit more relaxed this year ... the early season slide really mellowed me out. I haven't really even though about what we're going to look like in the playoffs, maybe because it's the dog-days ...

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
veteran leadership would be significantly more valuable in my books (I'll have my eye squarely on Gary Roberts from now until the trade deadline). A depth defenceman would probably make some sense... nothing fancy, but someone to play the 7/8 role for the playoff run.
It's what I'm thinking too.

Nothing fancy, something simple and low-key. I don't think we're in dire need of anything. I'd like a vet, but not selling the farm or anything. If nothing happens I feel comfortable. Just go with the flow...make playoffs, no expectations.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:29 AM
emo

Quote:
Who is Avery going to infect his "cancer" to in Ottawa? He will give his all here, he gets out of line in the dressing room theres lots of players on this team that will set him straight. I don't think he would ruin chemisty in the least here. I don't think he can even if he wanted too.
Teammates having to "set him straight" would affect chemistry. He's an A-hole whose comments about French Canadians would not be welcomed in Ottawa-Gatineau.

I would, however, trade a 3rd for Cuthbert...

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

Cuthbert is becoming the most overrated chick on these boards at WARP SPEED.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
redheadirishgirl

Send a message via AIM to redheadirishgirl Send a message via Yahoo to redheadirishgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
Nothing fancy, something simple and low-key. I don't think we're in dire need of anything. I'd like a vet, but not selling the farm or anything. If nothing happens I feel comfortable. Just go with the flow...make playoffs, no expectations.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

redheadirishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
Teammates having to "set him straight" would affect chemistry. He's an A-hole whose comments about French Canadians would not be welcomed in Ottawa-Gatineau.

I would, however, trade a 3rd for Cuthbert...
Here Here

The more time spent in the dressing room fixing a crappy attitude , is energy taken away from something else.

Those leaders having to deal with him need to focus on the positive and their playoff performances. Not fixing a guy blowing **** up someones ass

Old
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Elbows View Post
Cuthbert is becoming the most overrated chick on these boards at WARP SPEED.
That's why I only offered a third...

emo is offline   Reply With Quote